'Mare of Eastown' (HBO)

Tools    

Detective with past tragedies has to rekindle emotions as another awful crime happens in small town Pennsylvania.

It's not earth shatteringly original. But the performance of Kate Winslet so far is fantastic. She does grumpy so well. She also has a great Pennsylvania drawl to her dialogue. I have no idea if it is accurate but I appreciate the attention to detail.

I'm only 2 episodes in but it's started well.

I am from Delco. One county over from Chester county where Easttown is located.
Winslet's accent is pretty accurate. Maybe too on the money. She drawls in a way that I associate with someone who hasn't gotten away by going to college and heard other accents. Its the way she says home specifically that I find indicative of someone who has stayed in the neighborhood and not ventured further.

The way people dress is right on the money as well. The story is that they hung out at the Wawas (a local convenience store chain) to get ideas for cosutmes. Needless to day we are pretty excited about it here.

It looks pretty good so far. We aren't in raving territory yet. But it looks like it could happen. Fingers crossed.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Winslet is definitely the draw for me to watch this show. She has pegged this character so well that I keep forgetting she's acting at all. I love the way they've dressed her, the way they've NOT really done her hair (from the messiness to the dark roots halfway down to her ears). The foods she eats at the table (the cheese steak, etc.)... everything is spot on for the place, for the social class, etc. I grew up about an hour north of Philly so my hometown accents were similar. There could be perhaps a bit more of a nasal twang, but since I actually dislike that accent when it's in the extreme, I'm grateful they're not overdoing it. A little goes a long way.

Plus, the story so far is really good.

I am from Delco. One county over from Chester county where Easttown is located.
Winslet's accent is pretty accurate. Maybe too on the money. She drawls in a way that I associate with someone who hasn't gotten away by going to college and heard other accents. Its the way she says home specifically that I find indicative of someone who has stayed in the neighborhood and not ventured further.

The way people dress is right on the money as well. The story is that they hung out at the Wawas (a local convenience store chain) to get ideas for cosutmes. Needless to day we are pretty excited about it here.

It looks pretty good so far. We aren't in raving territory yet. But it looks like it could happen. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for that. Yes it's that accentuated 'o' sound that is noticeable in words like home, knows, own, phone. Hope the season continues to be good.

A little goes a long way.
It really does. I hate when an actor bangs us over the head with their execution of a non-American accent. It has to be subtle.

Still amazed at how Renée Zellweger pulled off a British accent in Bridget Jones’ Diary. It was perfect.

Episode 5 is awesome. Shades of David Fincher. And it has that lovely Grouper track all the way through. Great TV.
It’s getting great reviews here.

Have watched the first 2 eps. It has the feel of a good production, and the locales and most actors' demeanors fit the area. I was born and reared in Western Pennsylvania, and have heard many SE accents. Some of them are closer to a Maryland accent. At any rate Winslett does a creditable job in that regard.

That said, I don't like the character that she plays-- too dikey, and a little over the top. IMO there's no chemistry between she and Guy Pearce, despite the fact that they are friends in real life. And her new associate, County Detective Colin Zabel would be better cast as a hair dresser than as a policeman.

My guess it that the series, it's subject matter, and it's interaction between characters is designed mostly to appeal to women, what with all the relationships, feelings, child issues, and compassion discussions. My wife even quit fiddling with her android and started watching the show. Actually most dramas today feature intrusively huge amounts of cell phone use, so what's the difference?..

Still, the overall plotting, photography, editing, and acting raise the show above the norm, and it is just the type of series that wins awards.

-- too dikey, and a little over the top.
Can a woman be “too dikey”? I didn’t know there are degrees of lesbianism.

I genuinely wish to know.

Have watched the first 2 eps. It has the feel of a good production, and the locales and most actors' demeanors fit the area. I was born and reared in Western Pennsylvania, and have heard many SE accents. Some of them are closer to a Maryland accent. At any rate Winslett does a creditable job in that regard.

That said, I don't like the character that she plays-- too dikey, and a little over the top. IMO there's no chemistry between she and Guy Pearce, despite the fact that they are friends in real life. And her new associate, County Detective Colin Zabel would be better cast as a hair dresser than as a policeman.

My guess it that the series, it's subject matter, and it's interaction between characters is designed mostly to appeal to women, what with all the relationships, feelings, child issues, and compassion discussions. My wife even quit fiddling with her android and started watching the show. Actually most dramas today feature intrusively huge amounts of cell phone use, so what's the difference?..

Still, the overall plotting, photography, editing, and acting raise the show above the norm, and it is just the type of series that wins awards.
I suggest you continue to watch.

As for awards, I couldn't care less if it wins zero or 100. Watch what you enjoy, not what other people say you should enjoy.

I suggest you continue to watch.

As for awards, I couldn't care less if it wins zero or 100. Watch what you enjoy, not what other people say you should enjoy.
You had mentioned earlier that the 5th episode was "awesome". That being the case, I'll likely watch some more.

I take it that your other sentence was not referring to me specifically.

Very good. I should probably watch it again since I found it hard to differentiate between a few of the lesser characters. Also one of the plot points confused me. There’s a lot to unpack in this series. Winslet excellent like she always is. The rest of the cast very good too.