Disturbing childhood memory: black and white movie

Tools    

Hi, wonder if anyone can identify the movie from the below. I remember when I was a kid in the early 80s a black and white film came on the TV that scared the living daylights out of me. It showed a woman trying on clothes in a shop with a truly terrifying looking man peeping at her. If I remember correctly she then left the shop and hopped on a bus and caught a glimpse of the guy as the bus drove off I think he then showed up later at her residence, but at that time I'd been marched off to bed. It was in black and white and seemed to have an element of fantasy about it. Someone suggested Polanski's Repulsion, but I looked on YouTube and can't find that scene. I don't think I'm making it up. I feel like I want to see it again as an adult to process it, as it's stayed with me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

freedom~empathy~peace
.... a truly terrifying looking man....
Can you be a bit more specific about this point? Was there something in-particular about his appearance that made him unusual, and frightening to look at? (it might be a helpful clue).

Thanks. From what I remember he was bald, and had an angular face with protruding chin. In my recollection he looked almost like a demon, or like Max Schreck in Nosferatu.

freedom~empathy~peace
Here is a bit of a long-shot, but worth a look. Could the 'peeper' have been a guy wearing a mask?

'Look In Any Window' (1961, black and white)
Plot - A teenager (played by Paul Anka) is brought up by uncaring, dysfunctional parents. The teen develops a habit of peeping on his neighbors in a modern suburban area while donning a frightening mask.

Two stills from the film:

Wow! That is seriously creepy. But I don't think that's it. This character wasn't passive like a typical Peeping Tom. This character was disturbed and aggressive. I think the movie was English but I could be wrong.

Here is a bit of a long-shot, but worth a look. Could the 'peeper' have been a guy wearing a mask?

'Look In Any Window' (1961, black and white)
Plot - A teenager (played by Paul Anka) is brought up by uncaring, dysfunctional parents. The teen develops a habit of peeping on his neighbors in a modern suburban area while donning a frightening mask.

Two stills from the film:

that looks creepy

Rider On The Rain? But it is not B&W. it does have a scene exactly as you described.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064791...nm_flmg_act_45

Wow. That's it! Well done! That still looks terrifying now. Amazing that I remember it being in black and white. How weird!