Shang-Chi

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Marvel Studios is adapting their 1970s circa martial arts hero Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu in a new film written by Dave Callaham and to be helmed by Destin Darrell Cretton.

Today at San Diego Comic Con, it was announced that newcomer Canadian-Chinese actor Simu Liu (above) will play Shang-Chi. Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-Wai will be making his Hollywood debut as The Mandarin, who is expected to be Shang-Chi's dad rather than Fu Manchu in the comics. Awkwafina has also been cast in the film.

Release date set for Feb. 6, 2021.

Here's an idea of what to expect in the fight sequences for Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. The two guys who Simu Liu are fighting are Zac Wang and Vi-Dan Tran, members of the Jackie Chan Stunt Team. Zac should look familiar. He played Cheng, the main bully in the Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan.

Looking forward to it! Simu Liu is very good on the also very good Canadian sitcom Kim's Convenience, which you can watch on Netflix.

Based on the title, I'd assume the OP has played collectible card games at some point in his life

While that sounds awesome...it will be interesting and makes me wonder...are these ten rings the new "Macguffin" like the Infinity Stones in the first MCU saga.

I don't think he would have lasted more than 5 minutes in front of Yip Man lol

Not a fan of this genre.... just remembered about this movie

China should be happy
Appearntly they're not!
This movie trailer is reported to have recieved negative criticism in China. They don't like the fact that a chinese movie is being made by the westerners.

the movie looks alright i will give it a go to see it cause i follow storyline of the marvel movies especially when im huge marvel fan of the comics and movies and tv series
Kevin Feige is always looking for new ideas! That's why MCU is known to be "House of Ideas".
I believe movies like Shang-Chi is really needed so fans could see different aspects of marvel universe.

Kevin Feige is always looking for new ideas! That's why MCU is known to be "House of Ideas".
I believe movies like Shang-Chi is really needed so fans could see different aspects of marvel universe.
that would be true cause i was hoping for him to make more seasons for marvel tv series aswell

Let's be honest, this could be the worst movie in the history of film and we'd still pay to see it. Looks alright though, hopefully it'll be good.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This guy grew up two cities away from me.

Suspect's Reviews

Looks like another stoic Marvel lead though, I hope he gets to show some personality as Simu seems like a cool guy

The red carpet event was held last night and early reviews are saying this is one of the best Marvel films yet. They praised the story and the fight sequences, coordinated by the recently passed Bradley James Allen and choreographers Guiilermo Grispo and Jackie Chan Stunt Team alumnus Andy Cheng and current member Vi-Dan Tran.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/shan...J2qWjelkYC-e3f

The Master of Kung Fu was a comic I never read - although I was a bit familiar with Shang Chi from his appearances in other Marvel Comics.

Despite occasionally associating with super-heroes, I got the impression his comic was a little more reality based as it was inspired by the karate movie craze of the early 70's.

Shang Chi was directly based on Bruce Lee, but his story is a Luke Skywalker-type saga as his journey is to confront & undo the evil of his father, Fu Manchu.

Rumor has it that Fu Manchu (who dates back to pulp fiction) was dropped as Shang Chi's father due to political correctness (as the character has now been deemed racist) and various owner & copyright issues.

Since Fu Manchu was not an original Marvel Comics character, I don't really have a problem with him being replaced by the Mandarin (an Iron Man enemy who first appeared in Tales of Suspense #50 in 1964).

However, I do dislike the idea that the rings are now bracelets! There were originally ten of them for each of the Mandarin's fingers - so they were always rings, not bracelets.

P.S. the trailer shows us a glimpse of some sort of dragon... Fin Fang Foom? (an extraterrestrial dragon monster that terrorized China from Marvel's "monster" age: pre-Silver Age super-heroes.)