A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
This might be fun:

Oooh! I hope The Boogeyman is good, I always really enjoyed that story. Actually scared the hell out of me when I was young.

Victim of The Night
Takoma, where did you watch Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker? I'm trying to take your advice but I do not find it streaming.

Victim of The Night
It's also on YouTube under the name Night Warning.
Yeah, but that's only a 4:3 print and pretty bad, I'm hoping to find a better one somewhere (I have this thing about not watching anything in 4:3 that wasn't filmed in 4:3).
Amazon teased that if I upgraded in some way they had a copy.

Victim of The Night
I'm about halfway into it right now. Watching on Shudder
Gotcha, I had unsubscribed to Shudder since I only watch Horror in October, guess I need to re-add it for this month.

Yeah, but that's only a 4:3 print and pretty bad, I'm hoping to find a better one somewhere (I have this thing about not watching anything in 4:3 that wasn't filmed in 4:3).
Amazon teased that if I upgraded in some way they had a copy.
Yeah, the Shudder print is pretty impressive.

*Shudder is not a paid sponsor of this message*

The Hunger -

This is a beautiful and sexy vampire movie that focuses on one of the most interesting themes in vampire stories: the price of immortality. Featuring a look resembling an Architectural Digest cover story from its era - not to mention replete witg drapes and doves - it's one of Tony Scott's most stylish movies, especially when you combine all of this with his signature experimental editing techniques. As for how sexy the movie is, it could hardly be any more sexy considering it has three of the most watchable performers to grace the screen in Deneuve, Sarandon and Bowie. This is not just a nice movie to look at, though: the question it raises about whether an immortal and luxurious life is worth all the innocent bloodshed, constant track covering and being on the wrong side in a domineering relationship is one that remains compelling after the credits roll. I side-eyed some of Scott's flourishes - I mean, how do all of those doves get fed - but again, it's one of Scott's most stylish movies and that's saying something. I've enjoyed the majority of Tony Scott's movies I've seen, and while I'm glad we have this, I wish he had explored the horror genre even further. Oh, and how could there be a cooler way to open a movie than with a Bauhaus performance?

The Hunger -

This is a beautiful and sexy vampire movie that focuses on one of the most interesting themes in vampire stories: the price of immortality. Featuring a look resembling an Architectural Digest cover story from its era - not to mention replete witg drapes and doves - it's one of Tony Scott's most stylish movies, especially when you combine all of this with his signature experimental editing techniques. As for how sexy the movie is, it could hardly be any more sexy considering it has three of the most watchable performers to grace the screen in Deneuve, Sarandon and Bowie. This is not just a nice movie to look at, though: the question it raises about whether an immortal and luxurious life is worth all the innocent bloodshed, constant track covering and being on the wrong side in a domineering relationship is one that remains compelling after the credits roll. I side-eyed some of Scott's flourishes - I mean, how do all of those doves get fed - but again, it's one of Scott's most stylish movies and that's saying something. I've enjoyed the majority of Tony Scott's movies I've seen, and while I'm glad we have this, I wish he had explored the horror genre even further. Oh, and how could there be a cooler way to open a movie than with a Bauhaus performance?
Big fan of this one.*Looks great.*Extremely sexy.*What's not to like? *handwaves flaws*

Big fan of this one.*Looks great.*Extremely sexy.*What's not to like? *handwaves flaws*
Haha, I'm a big fan of those double-space asterisks. Wait, no I'm not.

It's a shame it flopped. It might have fared better in the '90s or '00s when critics and moviegoers were used to then-weird stuff like time-jumping edits, blue filters, etc.

The problem with The Hunger is it can't live up to those opening ten minutes.
*handwaves crumbsroom*

Victim of The Night
The Hunger -

Still my favorite Tony Scott film.

Trick or Treat (1986) -

This horror tale about a bullied teenage metalhead, Eddie, who does what everyone warns you not to do, play the record backyards, is from 1986 and it is so 1986. The bullies wear varsity jackets, there's a popular girl who sympathizes with Eddie and he has an equally hapless best bud. Oh, and there are practically dozens of Walkmen and cassette tapes all over the place. The important thing, though, is that it's a blast. The confidence Eddie's magical record gives him against the varsity crew leads to thrilling scenes like a chase around his high school with a very unexpected conclusion. Also, Tony Fields is so good as villain Sammi Curr, who starts out as Eddie's hero and ends up being his electricity-based tormentor. Oh, and it features Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne in small yet pivotable roles. Its "geek gains an advantage over the bullies that gets out of hand" story is clichéd, but the whole thing is oh so fun that I didn't mind. Also, all of my fellow metalheads can relax: this is not Rock: It's Your Decision. It both satirizes and pokes fun at the genre, and if tells a lesson, it's that it's dangerous to take your passions and hobbies too seriously. I also learned that you should never wear a tie in shop class.