Best Movie Villains

Tools    

Anarchist within reason
Paul Gleason's Headmaster "Dick" Vernon from The Breaksfast Club

"Don't mess with the Bull, you'll get the horns"
If at his council I should turn aside, Into that ominous tract which all agree, Hides the Dark Tower. Yet aquiescingly I did turn as he pointed, neither pride nor hope at the end descried, so much as gladness that some end might be.

Robert Browning 'Childe Roland to The Dark Tower Came'

Jon Voight as bigshot amoral condescending corporate lawyer Leo Drummond, in The Rainmaker.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Well, Norman Bates and Emperor Palpatine have both appeared in sequels, so I'll have to say Jack Torrance from The Shining.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Robert De Niro in Heat
Antonio Bandaras in The Skin I Live In
Luis Tosar in Cell 211

Triumph of the Will

Adolf Hitler (Being Himself)
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Guilty pleasure: Terry Silver from karate kid 3

Tough one for me as I’ve always had a soft spot for antagonists. But, actually (aware it’s off topic as it’s not a ‘film’), Walter White is pretty high up there, followed by Chigurh. I also love some of the lesser-known ones, like Raymond in The Vanishing original, Marcello in The Conformist (though he’s technically an antihero), Gary Oldman’s Norman Stansfield, Harry Powell, Keyser Söze. There are probably more but can’t think of them now.

I don't know that any of these qualify as the "best" villain but they certainly left an impression on me.

Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange (1971).

Will Patton as General Bethlehem from The Postman (1997).

Al Pacino as John Milton, aka Satan, from The Devil's Advocate (1997).

Western Star 4800 (with green goblin mask and Happy Toyz trailer) from Maximum Overdrive (1986).

If I was an actor, I would love to be gunnery sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. Sure, there are much more evil villains out there, but R. Lee Ermey owns that guy so completely that it simply can't be remade.