Darth Wish's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

My Darth Star is in for a service
I felt about the same as you with 'You Were Never Really Here', and I'm glad to see someone enjoy 'Cure for Wellness' as much as I did. There was something about that movie that really stuck with me when I saw it in theathers....I need to try and watch it again soon.
It was just something completely different from my usual fare.
The quirkiness and awkward moments made it feel claustrophobic and in a few instances painful.
The cinematography created real atmosphere and foreboding for the viewer with some real moments of terror to make you cringe.

The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil 2019

Ma Dong Seok, Kim Moo Yul, Kim Sung Kyu

There's a serial killer knifing people to death, a cop who is the only one who thinks he is a serial killer and is determined to catch him and a crime boss who wants revenge after nearly becoming one of his victims...Oh and the cop wants the gangster in handcuffs too.
This South Korean movie was very enjoyable, violent yes, funny on occasions, action aplenty.
It is subtitled for those of us who don't speak Korean but don't let that put you off, just enjoy a watchable story which is based on a true event.

7.5/10

The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil 2019

Ma Dong Seok, Kim Moo Yul, Kim Sung Kyu

There's a serial killer knifing people to death, a cop who is the only one who thinks he is a serial killer and is determined to catch him and a crime boss who wants revenge after nearly becoming one of his victims...Oh and the cop wants the gangster in handcuffs too.
This South Korean movie was very enjoyable, violent yes, funny on occasions, action aplenty.
It is subtitled for those of us who don't speak Korean but don't let that put you off, just enjoy a watchable story which is based on a true event.

7.5/10
asian movies did a really good job doing movie posters i loved itt

Hyena 2014

Peter Ferdinando, Stephen Graham, Neil Maskell

Bent cops, drug dealing Turks, people trafficking Albanians and two more cops looking for payback.
Violence, drug taking, murder and rape all rear their ugly heads in this British crime thriller.
Things spiral out of control for Mike (Ferdinando) as all hell breaks loose on his patch and he sees his ill gotten gains disappear.
There's more white powder in this than an explosion in a talcum packaging factory, more blood than the buffet at a vampires birthday party and a big, fat, hairy guy naked folding his pants...what more could you want in a movie?
Everything about this film is brutal from the very start.

6/10

Priest 2011

Paul Bettany, Karl Urban, Maggie Q

After centuries of war between Humans and Vampires the Homo Sapiens have retreated behind the walls of a church controlled city, a grim and dystopian place where the Priests have been disbanded and their heroics during the war more or less forgotten.
One such Priest (Bettany) defies the head of the church and leaves to find his daughter who the vampires have captured.
Lead by a new breed of Vampire (Urban) they plan to rise again and rid Earth of the human race for good.

Priest is a Vampire movie that is a little different from the norm.
The action sequences are excellent and the cast first class in this Light versus The Dark movie.

8/10

Priest 2011

Paul Bettany, Karl Urban, Maggie Q

After centuries of war between Humans and Vampires the Homo Sapiens have retreated behind the walls of a church controlled city, a grim and dystopian place where the Priests have been disbanded and their heroics during the war more or less forgotten.
One such Priest (Bettany) defies the head of the church and leaves to find his daughter who the vampires have captured.
Lead by a new breed of Vampire (Urban) they plan to rise again and rid Earth of the human race for good.

Priest is a Vampire movie that is a little different from the norm.
The action sequences are excellent and the cast first class in this Light versus The Dark movie.

8/10
loved that movie and paul bettany!!

Blade Of The Immortal 2017

Takuya Kimura, Hana Sugisaki, Sota Fukushi

Based on a Manga series this movie is one big bloodfest with non stop martial arts action and what must hold the record for the most people killed in just short of 3 hours.
An Immortal Samurai is hired by a young girl to avenge her Fathers death and once he becomes her bodyguard the opposition start falling like the raindrops of a heavy shower.
Amazing action sequences are punctuated every now and then with dialogue (all in Japanese with English subtitles).
If you like traditional martial arts movies you'll love this, it won't disappoint you.

9/10

Survivor 2015

Milla Jovovich, Pierce Brosnan, Dylan McDermott

Revenge and greed are the motives in this explosive action thriller.
Abbott (Jovovich) has got in the way of a terrorist and an assassin (Brosnan) so becomes a target before she ruins their plans.
Taking place first in London and then on to New York the battle of wits and weapons moves along at a brisk pace and as is usual the American hero becomes a Pariah in her own agency as they panic and blame her for the atrocities.

Entertaining without being sensational

6.5/10

The Shape Of Water 2017

Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins, Doug Jones, Octavia Spencer

Guillermo Del Toro maintains his crown as king of the weird movie in this offering.
This is definitely one different love story from your average fare.
The cast, the sets and the photography are all top notch as is to be expected from Del Toro and the soundtrack just topped it all off.
Elisa (Hawkins) is a mute who falls in love with an amphibious man (Jones) who is in a laboratory where she works as a cleaner.
The way the two of them accept each other for what they are is well juxtaposed against the bigotry of the era where Black people are classed as inferior to the Whites.
I can see how Doug Jones got his part in Star Trek Discovery as he made a great amphibian.
Supported superbly by Jenkins, Spencer and Michael Shannon with Del Toro directing, The Shape Of Water was an unsurprisingly great film.

9/10

Serenity 2005

Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Adam Baldwin, Alan Tudyk, Summer Glau, Jewel Staite

Serenity is a spin off movie from the TV series Firefly which is a cult classic.
It's full of action with space battles, gun fights, one to one combat and a lot of ugly guys (I'm sure some of you were extras) being beaten up by a little girl in a dress.
A stellar cast (stellar...geddit?) of those listed above and the likes of other stars (Oooh stars, I'm on a roll) like Morena Baccarin, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Ron Glass elevate this movie to a different level under the direction of Joss Whedon.
Good versus evil with humour and action, what can be better for a Friday evenings viewing?

SciFi at it's best.

9/10

Overlord 2018

Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Ian De Caestecker

A plan to blow up a transmitter goes disasterously wrong when most of the planes, full of soldiers, are shot out of the sky.
Of those that made it out of the planes only a few survive as the German forces shoot them as they parachute down to Earth.
The few survivors left carry on with their mission which turns out to be more than just a transmitter tower.
It's gory, blood and guts everywhere, atrocities, violence and secrets in the basement of the German complex.

A very good film, the second world war in it's final throes and full of action.

8/10

Slaughterhouse Rulez 2018

Simon Pegg, Michael Sheen, Nick Frost, Asa Butterfield

This movie is what you come to expect of the Pegg/Frost writing partnership, plenty of humour, spurting blood from victims and weird creatures.
There is more than a hint of St Trinians about the school and the fashionable evil corporation causing the disaster.
There are some truly memorable comedy moments in this including
WARNING: "Spoiler Alert" spoilers below
Pegg's character being tongued by one of the creatures
Sheen is suitably OTT as the headmaster of the school and the rest of the misfits and bullies you'd expect in a British Public School are there to carry this along at a decent pace.

I enjoyed this film, it was humourous, silly and terribly British.

7.5/10

The Raid 2 2014

Iko Uwais, Arafin Putra, Oka Antara

In this sequel Rama an undercover cop(Uwais) infiltrates one of the major criminal organisations in the city.
I don't want to say too much about the storyline, so as not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, just this is one non stop martial arts action movie with enough blood and brain matter spilt to make enough black pudding to feed a fat Yorkshire lass for a week.
The action is choregraphed superbly with some truly breathtaking moves on show.
Car chases, violence and brutality abound to keep any action fan well and truly sated.

Recommended 9.25/10

My Cousin Rachel 2017

Rachel Weisz, Sam Claflin, Holly Grainger, Iain Glen

Based on the book by Daphne De Maurier this period piece about a young mans anger towards his cousins widow and the subsequent softening of his feelings as he falls in love with her failed to keep me engrossed in it.
Slow and ponderous albeit acted well, the cinemaphotography is very well done and the scenery in the outdoor scenes is superb.
Maybe I didn't get into this as period pieces are not my favourite genre and not to be sexist but it seems more the sort of movie the ladies would watch?

4/10

Tale of Tales 2015

Salma Hayek, Vince Cassel, Toby Jones, John.C.Reilly

Tale of Tales is three interwoven Italian fairytales making up the film.
A Queen who is barren and desperately wants a child, A king who becomes obssessed with a flea and a lecherous king who falls for the beautiful singing voice of an old woman believing her to be a young girl of 17-18 years of age.
This is one weird ass movie, the stories are weird, the characters are weird and the creatures are weird.
The whole thing left me wondering how many Italians have ended up with PTSD if their fairytales are all like this.
There are regular sights of breasts of all shapes and sizes (and age) and there is some violence, mostly mild but a couple of more graphic ones to make you wince.
If you like fairytales and breasts then you will enjoy this film but for me it failed to deliver not making the most of the tales or the cast.

4.5/10

The Girl In The Spider's Web 2018

Claire Foy, Sverrir Gudnason, LaKeith Stansfield, Sylvia Hoeks

Another instalment from the Dragon Tattoo series and this time she is up against a group who call themselves The Spiders.
A software programme that can control the world's nuclear arsenals gets into the wrong hands and Lisbeth Salander is wanted by the police and the NSA.
Plenty of action in the snowy and windy nordic countryside and the indoor sets are very atmospheric.
If you like the other films in the series you will probably like this too, I enjoyed it but I wasn't entertained enough to want to own a copy or watch it again.

6/10

The Martian 2015

Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Michael Pena, Jeff Daniels, Kate Mara

I had been putting off watching this for some time as I wasn't sure I was interested in the concept of a man being able to survive on his own on Mars.

I am glad I finally got round to watching it, Matt Damon was superb and backed up by a star studded cast who helped him make this movie a wonderful viewing experience.
The humour in it was unexpected but welcome and watching Watney (Damon) overcome his problems
WARNING: "SPOILER ALERT" spoilers below
like growing potatoes in martian soil and using his own sh*t as fertiliser
brought a smile to my face.
I'm sure some of the things done to save him are probably impossible but hey this is Hollywood and it's a movie so it doesn't have to abide by the laws of physics or credibility and because of that it made for a more exciting ending.

8.5/10

Elle 2016

Isabelle Huppert, Anne Consigny, Charles Berling, Laurent Lafitte

A successful businesswoman (Huppert) is sexually assaulted in her own home but doesn't call the Police, her father is in prison for multiple counts of murder committed when she was a child so she "has had enough" of them.
The story is based around her and her sexual appetite as she has an affair, flirts with a neighbour and is again raped by the intruder.
I didn't think this would be a film I'd want to watch but gave it a go and although not a masterpiece it was a lot better than I expected it to be.
It is a subtitled film but it didn't detract from the visual side of it.

There are scenes of a sexual nature and nudity with some of them violent.

7/10

I've seen the movie like twice.... Isabelle Huppert in spite of her age, still with a high sexual appetite
A great French movie with a mixture of sex and violence. I loved the way the movie ended and her son's "way of living".
7/10.