Television Tab

Tools    

Just finished this and adored every minute of the series, love everything this man directs. Fraser reminded me so much of a friend during high school and college, even his mannerisms. Ah memories.

Trailer:

Just finished this and adored every minute of the series, love everything this man directs. Fraser reminded me so much of a friend during high school and college, even his mannerisms. Ah memories.
Huge Chlöe Sevigny fan & wanted so much to like this. I hated it & bailed out.

I've probably skipped posting to this thread a million times, but here are the latest watches.

Freud (2020)

It has Sigmund Freud as the main character, but it's definitely not a biopic. Kinda like a mix of The Alienist and Penny Dreadful. I suppose the ideas are better than the execution. Not bad but I only watched it an episode a day.

--
Paranormal (2020)

An Egyptian Netflix show. A skeptic doctor ends up being an expert on the supernatural (he's also a noir-like cynic narrator). It's a pretty okay story (not super original, though). The source material is 81 books so there should material for several seasons. There's some crappy CGI but otherwise, it looks good. Oh, and I really like how the Arabic sounds.

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules

Laverne & Shirley - Of Mice And Men

Laverne is dating a new guy. Wheezer is nice and makes her really happy, but one day when a bunch of sleazebags start up trouble he fails to protect her. He feels embarrassed by it and vows to no longer be a wimp.

I really didn't like this episode. Wheezer is a very annoying character who spends every scene pouting over not being strong, calling himself a wimp repeatedly. It's one thing to have low confidence in yourself, but he's so obsessed with living up to a silly macho ideal that he gets on your nerves. Jim Belushi's performance was also weak. He can be funny in the right roles, but here his over-the-top acting only made me dislike the character more.

There is also a dream sequence consisting of someone forcibly dancing with Laverne, then a bunch of other guys trying to dance with her too. Wheezer tries to fight them, but repeatedly fails. All of this is without dialogue. Usually I like this show's parodies of classic media, but this was just a waste of time. I kept waiting for it to end, and it just went on and on.

The saving graces were Laverne and Frank, who thankfully are likable and amusing enough to save it from being bottom of the barrel. I most of all enjoyed the conversation Laverne has with her father trying to convince him to set up a person to fight Wheezer so he gets a chance to protect her. Frank's bewilderment over this odd request is both funny and understandable.

There is also another guy flirting with Laverne with Wheezer once again failing to protect her. The part with her knocking him down on the ground is a truly badass moment.

That dips into another issue I had. Since Laverne is never in much danger (Wheezer should worry about himself more than anything) and is able to fight effortlessly, the stakes become very low. It's hard to sympathize with Wheezer for this reason.

The final scene where the bully comes back and Laverne makes Wheezer think he scared him off just with intimidation made me chuckle. All she had to do was wave her purse and he ran off like a mouse.

This season isn't a trainwreck so far, but this one makes you miss Shirley more than ever. She could liven up even the lesser episodes.

@ mattiasflgrtll6 I don't remember that episode and I'm sure I watched it as I bought all 8 seasons of Laverne & Shirley and watched each season twice. That must be an episode after they went to California? Is this also after Cindy Williams left the show?

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules Yeah, it's a California and post-Shirley episode. So far this is the worst one without her (and my least favorite in general).
The best one she hasn't been in is The Playboy Show. Carrie Fisher had such great comedic chemistry with Marshall it's disappointing they didn't stick with her.

Diablero
Season 1

Season 2

A Mexican supernatural adventure somewhere between Supernatural, Buffy, and Preacher. The characters start out quite well, and especially Nancy is introduced strongly. I don't like how (once again) everything is so tightly related to the protagonists. Season one is better in this regard, as it has a sort of unrelated main plot. Season two feels unpolished and maybe even unneeded. Very well-casted and acted show, though.

Two Weeks to Live

Sort of like a comedic version of Hanna, except the outside world's dangers aren't always as real here. The cast is pretty good, the show looks surprisingly good, and while it's really cliched, the writing mostly works. I would have liked it to be more over-the-top (both in general insanity and in violence), though.

THE SERPENT -a netflix crime drama that I am binging and enjoying about a guy and his flunkies who kill travelers for there money.

My Darth Star is in for a service
I'm still bingeing on European dramas.
Latest one is called Code 37:Sex Crimes a Belgian series about a vice unit run by a woman.
It's subtitled but that doesn't stop it being pretty good.

Nice to see Code 37 mentioned and that you're enjoying it. I loved that show and wish it'd run longer. I liked Two Weeks To Live too. I liked the banality of it juxtaposed with the madness.

A bit surprised not to see more people talking about The Great. I thought it was excellent.

“I was cured, all right!”

Awesome start!

What the hell was this. The setting was so good. A shame the show doesn't seen to know where to go. Loved some characters and hated others. As a huge fan of titans (and the good old DC COmics), I've been avoiding this show since the first trailer, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

The truth is in here
For old time's sake...

SpongeBob SquarePants - Tentacle-Vision/I ♥ Dancing

Tentacle-Vision:

Squidward gets upset his favorite show Fab And Fancy gets cancelled (he sure seems to like shows with the word "Fancy" in them), but gets excited once he discovers an easy opportunity to get his own television spot. Unfortunately a certain yellow neighbor risks jeopardizing his chance...

This is a solid Squidward-centric story. Stories where he tries to be successful can be of varying quality, some of them too cruel in their treatment of him. But although he's unlucky here, it's very entertaining and never goes too far.

SpongeBob's enthusiasm and stupidity once he goes to tell Squidward he's on TV, not realizing he's interrupting him right on the air made me chuckle. It's even funnier once Patrick butts in, then accuses his friend of lying when he runs back home and doesn't see himself on the screen since he just ran away from the studio.

The disaster gets even bigger once Squid decides to let the nincompoops assist him just so they'll stop bothering him. We know from MMBB VI to never, ever trust Patrick with a camera. Confusing Squidward for the paintings of him as well as mindlessly wagging the camera up and down. It's not until he literally ties Patrick to the camera that it's finally still. SpongeBob screws up in an amusing way as well by putting the microphone inside his mouth several times.

It collapses entirely once the whole town joins in, for example Mr. Krabs advertising Krusty Krab live on air and Plankton turning his death ray on everything and wrecking the place. Pearl in her cheerleading outfit yelling "Fight, team, fight!" has to be the best part of it though. Not really sure what Sandy was doing however. Her role was a little confusing.

I also thought it was strange Squidward got kicked out of his own house. He could've just been asked to go into a different room. Nevertheless, seeing Zeus The Guitar Lord and the Bikini Bottom residents rocking it out is a fun, energetic ending. You feel a little bad for Squidward sure, but his cockiness throughout makes it feel less jarring to see him lose.

I ♥ Dancing:

SpongeBob realizes how much he loves dancing and starts doing it everywhere he can. A talent scout discovers him and suggests entering a dance competition. Green with jealousy, Squidward is set on making him lose so he won't be able to perform when it's time.

We already saw these two dance in in Slimy Dancing, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. I often find it enjoyable when Squidward is scheming, and his attempts to wear down SpongeBob makes for really good comedy. His absurdly impressive dancing had me laughing the whole time, particularly when he forms a flirty mermaid with the ribbon.

Eventually, Squidward finally thinks of a dance which the sponge can't do, which causes him to collapse from exhaustion. The devious plan worked out perfectly. And indeed, he actually wins the audition. I love how boring and one-note his winning dance is. Something tells me this judge doesn't set very high standards. But lo and behold, Squilliam is here! Although he won the audition, they were only looking for a partner to Squilliam in his show. And not only that, he has to perform that silly dance SpongeBob showed him earlier to absolute perfection. For some reason I found it funnier when Squilliam shows him, just because of that added "UH!" at the end.

SpongeBob is an awfully good sport about losing as well, even sitting in the audience and casually telling Patrick he was up for the part.

Despite the hit-and-miss quality of this season, it's nice to see it start off on a promising note.