Godzilla vs Kong

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Yeah, at one point Godzilla is able to stand on one third of an aircraft carrier, and by the end of the movie he’s as tall as an aircraft carrier. Like what?

Was he roiding?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol. I can't be friends with any of you anymore.

I usually hate these types of movies. Skull Island was OK for me. The Previous Godzilla flicks were passable maybe taking themselves too seriously with the human drama. The Core and other "center-of-the-earth type adventure movies irritate me on some weird principle. On a very brief reflection, I think that may be the same reason I hate Jurassic Park flicks. They are all just so ridiculous, yet appear to stay grounded in some reality in which the absurd is quite rational. Perhaps the closest movie in this genre that didn't completely irritate me was Skyline. Oh that was a bad movie, for sure, but the ending made up for some of that---enough to give the sequel a chance. The next movie up was Pacific Rim. I think that was a transitional movie for me, coming to terms with my expectations vs film maker intent. The follow-up to Pacific Rim did an even better job of landing square in deliberate camp-drama. At least for me.

When Godzilla v Kong landed, I really had no idea what to expect. Usually I want dark, brooding destruction (take Netflix's recent short series run of Pacific Rim: The Black, for instance); but this time I just let go and tried to roll with it.

I have to tell you that I enjoyed this movie far more than I expected and exponentially more than any similar movie before it. I think the conspiracy nut radio host did a great job of reminding me that this is not reality-based science fiction, but a silly caricature of a world in which 'zilla walks freely to blasts holes literally to the center of the earth. Silly, great stuff that asked on beat one, "dude. I'm not taking myself seriously---at all---here. Don't YOU do it either, k?" I obliged and I am grateful for the reminder and agreement, as this movie was a hybrid of all the misspent potential from these style movies that came before it, all rolled into one cheesy quesadilla, flavored by only the better points of those flicks (monkey ape* v laser lizard annihilating cityscapes CGI gluttony?!) while keeping the must-eat, good-for-you veggies that is human drama to an absolute minimum.

Yeah, I'm buying the collector's SteelBox UHD blu-ray/dvd/laserdisc with digital download and 3-disc behind the scenes bonus features, complete with the CD soundtrack of the 2-hour, all original audio recordings of wildlife used to create Godzilla's, "rrrreeeeeAAAAAH ree-AAAAH" taunts, bobble head dash mount Kong, AND flashlight 'zilla keychain for when you need to laser blast your way through the dark of your porch boxed set.

I'm OK to watch that alone, if I must.

*edited for fear of wrath.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Kong is always called a monkey by some character in a Kong movie - at least every Kong movie I've seen.

I haven't seen the film yet but the next person that calls Kong a monkey is going to feel my wrath.

(suffer)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I thought Kong was cool, but I was sad there was no Mario
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Kong is always called a monkey by some character in a Kong movie - at least every Kong movie I've seen.
Yes, by the clueless arrogant guy who's about to get stomped.
(see also: the clueless arrogant drunks in Mighty Joe Young)

I would have repped that but I already did the last time you used it.
NOOOOOOO I've posted that already?!?! I HATE MY BRAIN ANYMORE!!! It just don't werk rite!!!

Kinda funny you mention that, as lately I've been asking myself before each post, "hey, yn. yeah, yn? maybe you should reconsider this post? why is that, yn? well, maybe you've already posted it? Surely I'd remember that, yn? you would think! But no, there are documented instances of you doing exactly that, in more than one occasion. Hm. Thanks, yn, for bring this to my attention. You're most welcome, yn. Now hit the submit button."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. Those conversations usually go much longer.
=\

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Kong doesn’t look that big sitting on the boat, then at the end he’s as big as a skyscraper.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Yes, by the clueless arrogant guy who's about to get stomped.
(see also: the clueless arrogant drunks in Mighty Joe Young)
Man, I completely forgot all about that movie even though I've seen it half a dozen times.

RIP - Bill Paxton

The CGI may be good (I've only seen clips), but some of the still shots of Kong's face leave much to be desired...

WARNING: "May contain" spoilers below
But the action is superb...
WARNING: "Umm... sort of" spoilers below