Real-Time Movies

Tools    

Aw geez, Matt! I'm sorry!
I did it again (made a redundant thread)!
But this time I even did a search first... except I searched for "real time" and nothing came up so I went ahead with the new thread.

Mindwalk, I guess.
Good pick. I believe it was in real-time. And I'm one of the few people who've sat through this movie twice! (Luckily with more than a few years between the two viewings!)

This might be an out-there pick, but what about The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!?

It probably doesn't qualify, but I seem to remember it starting in the morning (waking up the sheriff).
It's still light out at the end (if indeed the beginning & end are part of the same day).
It probably takes place over the course of at least one day as a whole lot of stuff happens for it to all take place in 2 hours, but since a good part of the plot is about how quickly word would spread through a small island community, it gave me the idea that it might be real-time or close to it.

I just watched 1917 (2019) and most of it seems to be in real time (which gave the movie its tension, but also made it somewhat grueling at times).

The only scene I caught where time passes off screen was one where the main character is shot at, he falls backwards downstairs and is unconscious - when he comes to it's now dark out (at the start of that scene it was still light out). I couldn't find any other "breaks" to suggest time passed as the action following the main character seemed continuous.

However, based on the plot points that the characters left on a mission when it was daylight, a night passes and the mission is concluded during daylight - apparently at least 12 (or up to 24 hours) passed. I think early in the film they said something about it taking 6 hours to get from one point to another without running into any obstacles... but they ran into plenty of obstacles.

I just watched 1917 (2019) and most of it seems to be in real time (which gave the movie its tension, but also made it somewhat grueling at times).

The only scene I caught where time passes off screen was one where the main character is shot at, he falls backwards downstairs and is unconscious - when he comes to it's now dark out (at the start of that scene it was still light out). I couldn't find any other "breaks" to suggest time passed as the action following the main character seemed continuous.

However, based on the plot points that the characters left on a mission when it was daylight, a night passes and the mission is concluded during daylight - apparently at least 12 (or up to 24 hours) passed. I think early in the film they said something about it taking 6 hours to get from one point to another without running into any obstacles... but they ran into plenty of obstacles.
Did you like the movie? I watched it and thought it was better than some of the recent war film offerings. Still didn't love it though...tooooo many obstacles, kinda like a video game.

Did you like the movie? I watched it and thought it was better than some of the recent war film offerings. Still didn't love it though...tooooo many obstacles, kinda like a video game.
I was engrossed by it. As said, the seeming "continuous take" aspect gave it both tension but also made it somewhat grueling after a while... (I realize they wanted the audience to feel what it was like in both the trenches and in "no mans' land" along with the exhaustion of the soldiers on such a mission).

Technically, it was an achievement. If the environs they created were CGI as opposed to practical effects - it was undetectable.

So, I'm on the same level as you. Overall, I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 (or a 4 for technical aspects).

A funny aside - since I didn't recognize any actors at the outset, I said to myself, "I bet they'll have at least one big name actor make a cameo... since it's about the British, probably a British actor... maybe someone like Benedict Cumberbatch as an officer at the end." I rarely predict things so specifically!

Although, I didn't even recognize Colin Firth in the early part of the movie until I saw his name in the credits at the end.

...A funny aside - since I didn't recognize any actors at the outset, I said to myself, "I bet they'll have at least one big name actor make a cameo... since it's about the British, probably a British actor... maybe someone like Benedict Cumberbatch as an officer at the end." I rarely predict things so specifically!

Although, I didn't even recognize Colin Firth in the early part of the movie until I saw his name in the credits at the end.
You're psychic I tell ya!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Saw this movie for the first time about six months ago...thought it was excellent...John Cassavetes has rarely been better

I'm so glad you liked it. I not only gave it a 10/10, but saw it a handful of times in a year or two. It's funny, tragic, and just a unique movie. I'm glad it's on YouTube - and hope some people check it out while its out there.

I don't recall any time jumps in Free Fire, I might be wrong but I think it runs in real time.