Halfway To Halloween

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I Dismember Mama looks like my kind of movie. I found a poor-quality version on Youtube, but is there a good-quality one anywhere freely available?

Also, the review sort of reminds me of The Killer of Dolls and Mosquito the Rapist. Have you seen either of those? They're quite decent, in my opinion.
No, I watched the YouTube version, it wasn't bad.

Ya know, somehow I missed Mosquito The Rapist.

I Dismember Mama looks like my kind of movie. I found a poor-quality version on Youtube, but is there a good-quality one anywhere freely available?

Also, the review sort of reminds me of The Killer of Dolls and Mosquito the Rapist. Have you seen either of those? They're quite decent, in my opinion.
Always makes me feel schizo when I reply to myself

Anyway, I did watch...

Poor Albert and Little Annie (1972)
aka I Dismember Mama

This B-movie has a somewhat interesting concept, but the execution is too flawed. The two leads do a decent job, but everything else from the direction, writing, and especially music is below average. It's not sleazy enough and doesn't dare to go where it should go.
It definitely belongs to the same group with The Killer of Dolls and Mosquito the Rapist but they're better, more proficient, and more sleazy. Check 'em out if you like stuff like this.

Six more months 'til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween
Six more months 'til Halloween, Silver Shamrock
I think Halloween 3 is such an underrated movie. It should’ve been marketed as a stand alone film but they obviously smelt the cash made from the success of Halloween and Halloween 2. I’m not really a fan of remakes but Halloween 3 remade would certainly be intriguing.

Victim of The Night
Six more months 'til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween
Six more months 'til Halloween, Silver Shamrock

Victim of The Night
I think Halloween 3 is such an underrated movie. It should’ve been marketed as a stand alone film but they obviously smelt the cash made from the success of Halloween and Halloween 2. I’m not really a fan of remakes but Halloween 3 remade would certainly be intriguing.
I agree. I think someone (good) should remake it as just Season Of The Witch.
But with more robots.

Victim of The Night
Always makes me feel schizo when I reply to myself

Anyway, I did watch...

It definitely belongs to the same group with The Killer of Dolls and Mosquito the Rapist but they're better, more proficient, and more sleazy. Check 'em out if you like stuff like this.
Ah, that's funny. Yeah, poor Albert.
I dunno, I definitely like grimy **** from the 70s and early 80s.

Victim of The Night

Girls in love... BEWARE!!!

Well, this is a sort of adorable little movie.
A ferryman in some remote swamp-town (we actually have those down here) has been hanged for a murder he did not commit. Before he breathes his last, he curses the townspeople who have falsely convicted him that they and their progeny will all die by his hand. When the next generation, who have moved away, return to the town, their very lives are in peril!
I say this is adorable because the story is very old-fashioned, like a short story from the early 1900s you read somewhere when you were a kid or a teenager, the movie leans heavily into atmosphere on a very low budget, and there's a ridiculous romance that very quickly becomes the center of the story.
I agree that the movie had lots of foggy charm. I was reminded of the graveyard in the overlooked Return Of The Vampire or the one at the beginning of Ghost Of Frankenstein for the sense that everyone just walks around waist-deep in fog in these movies. Hound Of The Baskervilles style, ya know. I'm always in for that ****.

I also really liked that the real hero of this movie is a young woman, Maria, who is strong of mind and body without that having to be some kind of thing. As the new ferryman... ferrywoman... ferryperson... she's just a tough cookie, without being treated by script or camera as "the tough girl". It is ultimately she that steps up to face this curse. She also pulls a mean ferry. I respect her over-hand grip.

That's advanced ferry-pulling, right there.
I got an absolute hoot out of the ferry. Regardless of who is pulling the ferry-rope or how hard, that ferry just moves right along at a perfectly steady pace... almost as if it were rolling along on wheels underneath all that fog.
I was less in love with the romance. I initially thought it was a totally unnecessary distraction put in to pad the run-time and meet studio demands, but they work it thoroughly into the story to the degree that the story wouldn't work without it. And I worried that Maria's love-sickness for the new boy in town (actually the son of a town elder who's been gone to the city like her) would reduce her but the fact that she falls madly, desperately in love with Chris the day that they meet, and him her, to the degree of a marriage proposal within a few minutes of screen-time, does not diminish her spirit. She just continues to roll that ferry across the swamp. Just roll it right across.
The fog, the rolling ferry, the ghost that's just a dude...

...all that sort of thing just charms the pants off me in old B-movies. This film is a trifle but it's a charming trifle and I'm glad you guys recommended it to me.

PS - I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the young man, Chris, who is the love of Maria's life after like five minutes, is played by none other than legendary filmmaker, Blake Edwards. You're welcome.

PS - I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the young man, Chris, who is the love of Maria's life after like five minutes, is played by none other than legendary filmmaker, Blake Edwards. You're welcome.
I was also charmed by the film, and this is some 5-star trivia right here!

I was also charmed by the film, and this is some 5-star trivia right here!
I watched this last night, and when the opening credits rolled, I thought, "huh, there were two Blake Edwards" in Hollywood, and then I read the wiki... Well, he was actually fine , relatively speaking, but I think he made the right career choice in the end. Fun little movie.

How about a rewatch of John Carpenter’s The Fog (1980) for this month? It was the 21st April that the shipwreck supposedly happened in the movie (as told in the campfire story at the start) so a good time for a repeated viewing. What a classic.

Victim of The Night

How about a rewatch of John Carpenter’s The Fog (1980) for this month? It was the 21st April that the shipwreck supposedly happened in the movie (as told in the campfire story at the start) so a good time for a repeated viewing. What a classic.
It's one of my favorite horror movies ever so I'll save it for October (I pretty much watch it every October nowadays).

Victim of The Night

"And I really got hot when I saw Jeanette Scott fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills."

Man, lot to unpack here.
Up front, this is a film adaptation of a 1951 novel. The movie is about what happens when a meteor shower does two things: one, it blinds everyone who saw it, and two, it "activates" a species of carnivorous, poison spewing plants that had landed on Earth during a previous meteor shower. So there's sort of two conflicts running in parallel, most of the world going blind and wandering around trying to simply get food or find each other or just stay safe for a little while and also everyone, blind and sighted, trying to avoid getting killed by these huge carnivorous plants that can uproot themselves and essentially "walk" on their roots... in addition to spitting fatal poison or just eating people. And then the movie introduces a third conflict, what happens to society after a global crisis like this. And it's told from the point of view of man who wakes up in a hospital the morning after the crisis, unaffected by it (in his case because he had had eye-surgery and his eyes were covered by bandages).
Honestly, there's a lot going on in this movie.
You can probably tell from the synopsis that many, maybe dozens of sci-fi/horror films may have sprouted from this one. I was reminded often of 28 Days Later (obviously), I was reminded of The Crappening, I ended up being reminded of A Quiet Place before it was all over (you'll know why if you see it), I mean, honestly, so many movies. It really seemed highly influential though one wonders how many people have actually seen this film. Making it influential in the way a lot of Rock 'n' Roll is, where the people who are influenced by, say, Blues, don't know it because they were influenced by the people who were influenced by it. Like people who think they're playing Jimmy Page when they're really playing T-Bone Walker, which Jimmy Page later played. There's a generation of separation.
But, meanwhile, there's a perfectly lovely B-movie going on about giant, poisonous, sentient, and mobile plants stalking people in a post-apocalyptic world. Which is pretty cool.
Honestly, if you are a fan of sci-fi or horror from the 1960s to the present, you probably need to see this movie to feel like you know the actual canon.

I don't think I've ever seen The Fog whole, at least that I can remember. You can say my mind is *ahem* foggy about it.

Nice! I thought Day of the Triffids had a lot of 60's scifi charm, like you say.

Every Day Is Halloween

I will endorse the Day of the Triffids novel, if only for the excellent and eerie description of the main character awakening in the hospital to discover all the other patients have gone blind.

Is Scary Stories to Be Told in the Dark (2019) any good?

Is Scary Stories to Be Told in the Dark (2019) any good?
It's a decent bit of entertainment, I'd say. Nothing more. It has some decent thrills and scares here and there, but I ultimately left it behind after I finished watching it. So, maybe don't make it a priority, but if you have nothing else to do one day, check it out, I suppose.

It's one of my favorite horror movies ever so I'll save it for October (I pretty much watch it every October nowadays).
Yes I can't wait for October myself in my movie diary. Probably my fav month.