Topic for Soviet films

Tools    

This is the topic for discussion of Soviet films!
I currently have no ideas which exact movie we can discuss now, but you can suggest your own)

The trick is not minding
The Dawns Here are Quiet (1972) is a good one. The Thief (1997) is another.
I ah ent watched many Russians films yet, although I aim to change that soon, but those two stand out for me personally. I have not seen any Andre Tarkovsky films yet, another issue I plan to remedy soon.

Welcome to MoFo! The best movie site on the internet

There's some fans of Soviet Films here. We did a Russian Language Hall of Fame in the past...which is an event where people who join nominate one film (in this case a Russian film) and they then watch and rate them and a winner is declared.

Here's a link to the Russian Language Hall of Film (HoF) Some excellent films here! Stalker won that HoF.

Right now we're doing the Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown, so you might want to check that thread out.

So...let me ask you want Soviet films have you seen? And which did you really like?

Some faves off the top of my head -

Tarkovsky (Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Mirror & Stalker is one of the greatest runs in cinema)

Eisenstein (Potemkin is classic, but I prefer Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible 1-2)

Kalatozov (Cranes Are Flying, Soy Cuba)

Shepitko (The Ascent, Wings)

Parajanov (Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, Color of Pomegranates)

So, as I am a Russian myself, me and my parents watch a lot of Soviet films.And it is hard for me to say the favorite ones.The ones I like a lot are in my favorites:'Stalker', 'Solaris', 'Pokrovskie vorota', 'The Diamond Hand'.

My top 10:

1. Stalker
2. Man With a Movie Camera
3. Come and See
4. Andrei Rublev
5. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
6. Dead Man's Letters
7. The Mirror
8. The Ascent
9. Ivan the Terrible, Part 1
10. The Color of Pomegranates

White Sun of the Desert is a great, stylish adventure movie that's only 80 minutes long and on YouTube in a nice transfer.

Di je Karlo?
Following the one film per director rule:

1) Siberiade (Konchalovsky)
2) Come and See (Klimov)
3) Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky)
4) War (Balabanov)
5) War and Peace (Bondarchuk)
6) Ivan Vasiliyevich: Back to the Future (Gaidai)
7) Alexander Nevsky (Eisenstein)
8) The Return (Zvyagintsev)
9) Viy (Yershov)
10) Assa (Solovyov)

October: Ten Days That Shook the World is probably my top pick. Strike and Earth are both very close too.