Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

バトル・ロワイアルII 鎮魂歌 (2003)
aka Battle Royale II: Requiem

Wow. Less than 20 years ago, I actually was dumb enough to rate this 8/10? It's an action movie for Greta Thunberg and Antifa, that glorifies terrorism (including 9/11) and puts Islamists like Al-Qaeda on the same side as individual freedom/liberty. It's also massively bloated, has more last words than Sean Bean's career, has a shakier camera than a hung-over Paul Greengrass, and has a childish script full of plot holes. Ugh

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Trial of the Chicago Seven (2020)

Solid courtroom movie, slickly made with a whole raft of good actors. There were a lack of interesting grey areas though and the ending was pure cheese.

Nest of vampires, 2021

It was pretty slow to get to the vampire bit but it had something about it that was a bit different. I liked the setting England if I remember right, over all worth a watch I enjoyed the plot about a dad rescurring his daughter from the bad guy at what ever the cost.

7/10; could've just been more vampire related.

The Crimson Rivers -

A decent French police thriller with Jean Reno as the grizzled veteran who teams up with Vincent Cassel's younger, hot-headed detective. Set in a prestigious and isolated university in a small Alpine town, it's a story featuring elaborately mutilated corpses, eugenics, disturbing photographs and library research. It is thus very much inspired by Se7en, and while it can't hold a candle to it, I enjoyed it well enough. While it would be hard not to make movie set in the French Alps look beautiful, the cinematography is quite good and the mystery is compelling and held my interest. Still, like many of the police thrillers that followed Se7en, you would be better off watching Se7en first if you had never seen it before. Oh, and it has a bonkers video game-like fight sequence that stands alongside the rapping dog in Titanic: The Legend Goes On in the "where did that come from?" department.

Six Minutes to Midnight 2.5/5
I saw it so you don't have to. Formulaic Nazi's threaten England movie with characters as thin as paper. The only thing worthwhile in the movie was Jim Broadbent who had a tiny supporting role. Dollars to donuts Jim improvised most of what his character did. I couldn't imagine the screenwriter having the imagination to think up the bits of business that he does. It is sad when the only fresh thing in a film is 71 years old. Here's to better parts for JIm Broadbent in his golden years.

Black Narcissus 5/5
Must see movie about a group of Nuns who travel to the Himalayas to set up a convent. Oscar winning cinematography highlights a dense script in which every character including the supporting ones have some depth. I never tire of watching it. It is a classic.

Re-watch. So good.

Stan and Ollie (2018)- Great film based on the famous film duo. I went into this doubtful that Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly would be any good but it turned out to be great casting in my opinion. Really enjoyed this one.

Frantz (2016) - Saw this listed in the TV guide and thought it sounded interesting. Shot in b&w with glimpses of colour here and there, the story had me hooked from the beginning. I had never heard of Paula Beer and Pierre Niney before and after this I will be looking at watching other films in which they appear.

Death Note, how L changed the world (2008) This was very different to what I was expecting. I was expecting something involving the Death Note but it went in a very different direction. Kenichi Matsuyama is brilliant as the quirky character 'L' who has 23 days to solve a global threat. I enjoyed this as L is my favourite character from the Death Note films, although it is not as good as the first two live action Death Note films.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Love In The City - 8/10
Nice "fake-documentary" with segments about women in society, usually in trouble. This is the first of this kind I've seen, despite always noticing Italian directors doing these.. I hope to find more movies like this. It's truly a relief to finally see a good movie - the first one of the year.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III
(2006, Abrams)
The third part on a film franchise

"What I'm selling and who I'm selling it to should be the last thing you're concerned about... Ethan."

Mission: Impossible III features a semi-retired Hunt, who is now a trainer of new recruits while enjoying "normal" life with his fiancée Julia (Michelle Monaghan). Unfortunately, when a young trainee (Keri Russell) ends up captured, Ethan is pulled back into action; first to try to rescue her and then to try to stop Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the notorious arms dealer that had captured her. And it is at the hands of Davian that the franchise introduces a concept that seemed foreign to this franchise: a real threat and a real vulnerability to our "hero".

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

(2006, Abrams)

Mission: Impossible III features a semi-retired Hunt, who is now a trainer of new recruits while enjoying "normal" life with his fiancée Julia (Michelle Monaghan). Unfortunately, when a young trainee (Keri Russell) ends up captured, Ethan is pulled back into action; first to try to rescue her and then to try to stop Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the notorious arms dealer that had captured her. And it is at the hands of Davian that the franchise introduces a concept that seemed foreign to this franchise: a real threat and a real vulnerability to our "hero".

Grade:

This was a good movie...Hoffman was brilliant.

This was a good movie...Hoffman was brilliant.
Indeed. I drool over his performance a bit on the full review.

But the biggest way we feel that threat is through Davian himself. Philip Seymour Hoffman delivers what is probably the best antagonist performance of the franchise. His Davian is ruthless but without veering too much into "moustache-twirling". There's more of a banality to it, an "I don't care" vibe from him that I just find chilling. The above quote is one of the many threats that he throws at Ethan after being captured, and the way he pauses and enunciates Ethan's name is just one of many ways in which he signals to him "I know who you are now. I can get to you."

Just could not get into this movie. HUGE Beatles fan & I just wanted to hear their music & the acting got in the way.

Zero Dark Thirty (Bigelow, 2012)

The greatest manhunt in history.

WARNING: spoilers below
I don't think I have to remind anyone by now that, before it became the punchline for multiple Family Guy gags (some of them even good!), 9/11 was the definition of a watershed, earth-shaking moment, not just in American history, but the entire world's as well. However, in addition to the tremendous historical impact of that September morn, it also holds a certain personal importance for me, as, while I fortunately didn't lose anyone in the attacks, it still happened after I had just become a teenager, which makes it feels like the unofficial dividing line between when I was a "kid", and when I became an "adult", as the world became a much scarier place after it; I mean, how could I and an entire generation of Americans not be traumatized by what was our version of Peal Harbor, as we were pulled out of class to watch the firey deaths of thousands of our fellow countrymen on live TV? However, as our nation rushed to obtain some sort of vengeance, the fallout from that response has proved to be grotesquely overblown, as the deaths of 3,000 people doesn't justify the displacement of over 30 million, or the deaths of over half a million, many of whom were innocent, making the so-called "War On Terror" one without the relatively clear-cut good or bad guys of certain previous conflicts, and rendering it far more difficult for Hollywood's nuance-hostile industry to churn out its inevitable dramatizations. However, with 2012's Zero Dark Thirty, Kathryn Bigelow not only attempted such a dramatization, but also succeeded extremely well (although that's not a huge surprise, considering that her previous effort was The Hurt Locker), resulting in a film that's not only a superb, true-life espionage Thriller, but also the current peak of the director's late career renaissance.

It tells the story of the hunt for bin Laden through the lens of "Maya", a green CIA operative who was recruited fresh out of high school, who, over the course of the film's 2 & 1/2 hours, slowly grows from being just one more small cog in a massive bureaucratic machine, to being the main driver of the hunt herself, as she obsessively digs through mountains of digital data, goes from anonymous, grime-covered "black site" to anonymous, grime-covered black site, and becomes an increasingly willing participant in various, dehumanizing forms of physical & psychological torture, as the stakes become increasingly personal for her, and she comes to display a pathological, quasi-religious fervor for hunting bin Laden, one that borders on being just as fanatical as the actual religious fervor of the terrorists themselves.

Of course, I have to address the elephant that's been in the room since the film's release, which is that it takes a "pro-torture" stance, which strikes me as cherry-picking, and part of a justified backlash against the American war machine that has nonetheless been misdirected at the film itself. I think this is obvious when the film shows multiple times that beating, force-feeding, and waterboarding prisoners is not only unable to consistently produce reliable intel, but also fails to prevent an actual attack in one case, which feels like a defusal of the theoretical "ticking-clock" scenarios that right-wingers loved to spew on Fox "News". In addition, you also have to consider the film's portrayal of the torture itself, which, rather than glossing over it, chooses to magnify it instead, with the lingering close-ups of one detainee in particular's filthy, bloody face, especially as he violently vomits up water, making the film an extremely uncomfortable watch, especially if you viewed it in a packed theater like I did. And finally, while this is outside the "text" of the film itself, I'm still skeptical of the idea that the film's screenwriter, Mark Boal, intended it as some sort of pro-torture cheerleading, considering that he wrote it at the same time he was working on an article about American war crimes, with the humanization of Maya and her co-workers when they're off the job not feeling like an endorsement of their "on the clock" actions, but a way to emphasize the level of sociopathy required to torture people for a living, while still functioning as a human being.

Anyway, as for the film's overall portrayal of the manhunt itself, ZDT does a superb job of conveying just enough of the maddening minutiae so we can grasp how knotty and dizzying a tangle that the world's biggest needle in a haystack search was, while also avoiding becoming unnecessarily bogged down in those details, with the rapid-fire, globe-trotting jumps between locations, intense handheld camerawork, and Bigelow's sharp, tense direction helping to cut through all the potentially confusing intelligence community jargon and bureaucratic back room meetings, in order to create a engaging, thrilling experience on the whole, with references to shifts in the political landscape to keep us grounded in the timeline, as well as occasional asides to portray real acts of terrorism, driving home the urgency of hunting down the man who's continuing to inspire those acts.

Finally, as for the film's moral stance on the "War On Terror", its overall viewpoint is appropriately as muddy as the war itself, as it refuses to turn a blind eye to the brutality of the conflict, and never strings up easy strawmen, but presents multiple perspectives in a solid fashion, too solidly to be interpreted in good faith as taking any one side, as Maya, though portrayed as being admirably iron-willed at times, still seems to hunt for bin Laden less as an act of collective justice for 9/11, and more for the personal vengeance of a colleague of that was killed in a suicide bombing. And, even then, neither Maya or us get to feel any final sense of fulfillment, as the climatic, half-hour raid sequence, a masterclass in glacial, nerve-wracking tension on its own terms, still takes us back to square zero with the lingering, haunting image of another aircraft on fire, bringing the events full circle, and hinting at an endless, ever-perpetuating cycle of violence as a result. And, even after Maya has personally glimpsed the corpse of bin Laden himself, this closure still fails to bring her peace, with her hunt for him being all she's lived for the past decade, and, when a pilot asks her where she wants to go after, she tellingly doesn't (or can't?) answer his question, as she stares blankly off into space, and a tear runs down her exhausted face, as we abruptly cut to black.

Best Moment:

Final Score: 9

(2006, Abrams)

Grade:

dont forget to watch other 3 missiom impossible films they filming number 7 right now and then number 8

Unregistered User
Promising Young Woman (2021) -

Biggie (2021) -

The Mole Agent (2020) -

Judas and the Black Messiah (2021) -

Soul (2020) -

Dick Johnson Is Dead (2020) -

Pieces of a Woman (2021) -

In Fabric (2019) -

Promising Young Woman (2021) -

Biggie (2021) -

The Mole Agent (2020) -