70s/80s kids movie with boy who meets monster from his comics

Tools    

I cannot say much about the actual plot of the movie. All I "know" is this: There is a boy who has comics and/or a poster of a monster in his room. Somehow, the boy encounters the supposedly fictional monster, I believe first in his dreams and then also in real life.

The monster is a humanoid creature, around two stories high, of dark color, and kind of hairy. I cannot tell if the monster is friendly or hostile; in any case, it scared the crap out of me (what could be because I was quite a scaredy-cat as a child). I would most likely compare the monster to Bigfoot or King Kong, or maybe the boy's comics are even about Bigfoot or King Kong.

The boy might be 10 or so and have darkish hair, but I wouldn't bet much on that.

I saw the movie in the late 80s and I think it's from the early/mid 80s or late 70s. I wouldn't burst if the movie was from the late 60s or early 70s, but I don't think so.

I've searched so hard for the movie, but haven't found anything. It seems to have been a fairly unknown or insignificant movie. Or maybe my memories are just too imprecise. I thank you very mush for any hints!

Oh, I should have said that right away: it's not Little Monsters. I have come across this movie several times in my searches, but unfortunately it is not the movie I am looking for. The boy fits in pretty well with my memories though. So, good guess overall, and thank you very much so far!

Oh, I should have said that right away: it's not Little Monsters. I have come across this movie several times in my searches, but unfortunately it is not the movie I am looking for. The boy fits in pretty well with my memories though. So, good guess overall, and thank you very much so far!
its all good , do u know what genre it is?

freedom~empathy~peace
Is the film you are seeking a 'live' action movie, or is it animation?

do u know what genre it is?
The genre might match that of Little Monsters: adventure-ish, horror-ish kids movie, that's what I would call it somehow.

Is the film you are seeking a 'live' action movie, or is it animation?
Definitely live action with human actors. I have no idea how the big monster was "animated" though: human in costume in front of a blue screen or stop-motion, no idea. In any case, the monster felt real for the little chicken I was back then.

Is it Cellar Dweller?
No, unfortunately it wasn't that either.

freedom~empathy~peace
I wonder if it was 'Time Bandits' (1981) that you saw. The film is about a young English boy who is suddenly thrust into many wild fantasy-type adventures. There are some appearances of giants -- and other scary stuff. I recommend watching the movie itself if you can, rather than the trailers. The movie has a lot of charm but the trailers I have seen are just awful! (I can't stress that point strongly enough).

Here are a couple of scenes -- one with a hairy giant, and another scene taken from close to the beginning of the movie:

I wonder if it was 'Time Bandits' (1981) that you saw.
Holy crap, I would have not only shat my pants, I would have died from the second scene you posted! Thank you for this "gem" I didn't know before. I will watch the movie in full length soon, but it's not the movie I'm actually looking for.

freedom~empathy~peace
There's a British film from 1988 called "Paperhouse" where a child's drawings become real inside some kind of 'dream world/state'. The film features a young boy, but it's a girl character creating the drawings here. Some creepy stuff happens, but I can't confirm if there's a two-story monster in the story (see below for some clips from the movie).

Question:
Do you think it was a feature length film that you watched?

There's a British film from 1988 called "Paperhouse" [...]
Wow! I definitely have to watch this one, I didn't know before either. However, it is not the film I'm looking for.

Do you think it was a feature length film that you watched?
Well, unfortunately, I cannot really tell. I think it was a feature-length film that ran in the regular TV program (instead of being a short film, maybe just as a clip of some kind of a bigger TV-series or something like that, or whatever). But I don't really know.

If it wasn't a stand-alone film, the search will of course be all the more difficult, which would then perhaps explain my failure so far. Of course, if it was just a small clip from a maybe bigger series or something, it could be "everything".

The genre might match that of Little Monsters: adventure-ish, horror-ish kids movie, that's what I would call it somehow.

Definitely live action with human actors. I have no idea how the big monster was "animated" though: human in costume in front of a blue screen or stop-motion, no idea. In any case, the monster felt real for the little chicken I was back then.

No, unfortunately it wasn't that either.
is it on this list https://collider.com/horror-movies-for-kids/

is it on this list https://collider.com/horror-movies-for-kids/
No, unfortunately not. It feels like I've rummaged through every such list already. ^^

freedom~empathy~peace
I might as well suggest this one, just in case. The date is about right (1987), and many parts of this film would be very scary for a young child to witness.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I cannot say much about the actual plot of the movie. All I "know" is this: There is a boy who has comics and/or a poster of a monster in his room. Somehow, the boy encounters the supposedly fictional monster, I believe first in his dreams and then also in real life.

The monster is a humanoid creature, around two stories high, of dark color, and kind of hairy. I cannot tell if the monster is friendly or hostile; in any case, it scared the crap out of me (what could be because I was quite a scaredy-cat as a child). I would most likely compare the monster to Bigfoot or King Kong, or maybe the boy's comics are even about Bigfoot or King Kong.

The boy might be 10 or so and have darkish hair, but I wouldn't bet much on that.

I saw the movie in the late 80s and I think it's from the early/mid 80s or late 70s. I wouldn't burst if the movie was from the late 60s or early 70s, but I don't think so.

I've searched so hard for the movie, but haven't found anything. It seems to have been a fairly unknown or insignificant movie. Or maybe my memories are just too imprecise. I thank you very mush for any hints!
Might as well take a look at this clip too, if you were a kid then memories might be blurring some. They do for me, often! I figure this is a long shot but at least it's a free bump.

Labyrinth
Sarah meets Ludo.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear