The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

A blind watch from the Cannes list, and for the first 15 to 20 minutes I was thinking this was some sort of horror film featuring Bigfoot and ghosts. It's not, but rather a deeply spiritual film. It seems like a weird movie, but again I don't think it actually is. There's some back and forth between reality and fantasy (spirituality) and even the cinematography altering between spectacular and plain. Even the score goes from nonexistent to naturally thunderous and foreboding. It sounds like an odd mix but I thought it worked well. The story revolves around a dying man and from there the title will tell you more than I'm willing to. This is a good movie that I can picture touching the right viewer in a big way. I don't have a spiritual bone in my body so I'm not that viewer. As a result it was sometimes a slow journey even it was a fascinating one.

-

Was that actually on the Cannes list? I'm sure it was, I'm just saying what a crazy title. It looks like some sort of boogie man horror film but you say it's not? Any idea if I might like it? Just curious.

The trick is not minding
Was that actually on the Cannes list? I'm sure it was, I'm just saying what a crazy title. It looks like some sort of boogie man horror film but you say it's not? Any idea if I might like it? Just curious.
Yeah, Cannes Palm winner.
I believe the official description of the genre, iirc, is “art house surrealist film”.

Man, just looked at the first page and some of you just gobbled this up in less than two weeks

Yea I think you'd like it

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Man, just looked at the first page and some of you just gobbled this up in less than two weeks
Don't worry. I'm here to be the semi-procrastinator this time. I started Shoot the Piano Player Wednesday and got about halfway but I'll probably have to start from the beginning again to have anything to say.

If you like Uncle Boonmee at all, I highly recommend the director's other film, Tropical Malady. (In fact, the story of Uncle Boonmee comes from a throwaway line in Tropical Malady).

I would give a slight edge to Tropical Malady because the central relationship is so well-realized and I liked the way it intersected with the supernatural stuff.

Tokyo Story, 1953

Older couple Shukichi (Chishu Ryu) and Tomi (Chieko Higashiyama) decide to take a trip to visit their adult children in Tokyo. Kiochi (So Yamamura) is a local doctor; Shige (Haruko Sugimura) is a hairdresser. They also pay a visit to their daughter in law, Noriko (Setsuko Hara) whose husband--their son--is missing in action from the war and presumed dead. Aside from Noriko, who takes time to walk around with Shukichi and Tomi and talk to them, the children treat them like an inconvenience. The couple must wrestle with their feelings of alienation toward their children, while still struggling to feel proud of them.

So apparently there is an emerging theme to my list of films here: Japanese dramas that punch you right in the feels.

Yes, yes, I loved Tokyo Story, even if it seemed personally tailored to push on some of my deepest anxieties.

The dynamic that the film captures so well is that of parents who only want to see the best in their children. This grows more strained as the callousness and disregard by their children becomes more and more pronounced. At one point, the children send their parents to a spa. The parents fret over their children sending money and treat the day as a special occasion. But when there are disruptive parties at the spa and they try to return home, their children bluntly tell them that they just sent them to the spa to get them out of the way. In a carefully worded conversation between Shukichi and Tomi, they talk themselves into agreeing that they are very proud of their children. And yet something in the tone is defensive, as if they are having to make an argument against someone who would say otherwise.

As with Ozu's other films, loneliness and abandonment become themes at the forefront. This is most explicit with the character of Noriko. She still keeps her husband's picture in the living room, and a tearful Tomi tells Noriko that she should remarry before she gets too old. There are similar conversations about the couple's daughter, Kyoko (Kyoko Kagawa), who is single and lives with them. But unlike the other films I have seen from Ozu, the notion of loneliness extends beyond an individual. We see the way that the couple has become isolated from their children. Yes, they have each other. But you need more than one other person to feel stable. The ingratitude of the children stings, not the least because the couple does not feel supported by them.

This movie felt very personal to me on a few fronts. When I was younger I had a parent who became ill and was not expected to survive. Thankfully they did, but the years after that were very fraught. I was kind of a mess, as you might imagine. I often carry around a lot of guilt about my behavior as a child, despite being assured by my parents that I was a low-drama kid. I also lost all of my grandparents between the ages of 15 and 22. One of my biggest regrets is not fostering a stronger relationship with them. While I was not neglectful or disrespectful in the manner of the characters in this film, I did not do as much as I now wish I would have to cultivate a relationship with them and make them feel more appreciated. Between this film and Ikiru, all of my "are you doing enough?!?!?!?!?!" buttons have been pushed and then some. I hope that others who watch this film also reflect on their relationship with the older generations, and seize the opportunities for bonding if it is not too late. (And, you know, if those older generation people are worth bonding with).

In any event, this film also has that signature Ozu vibe of incredibly realistic domestic sequences. While as a viewer you can be very critical of the behavior of the adult children, the film does acknowledge their point of view. In one sequence, Shige is upset that her father has become drunk, and recounts that he was often drunk in her childhood. That is the kind of thing that can stick with a person, and I appreciated that it wasn't just presented as the adult children just being awful. Self-absorbed, yes. In perhaps one of the more memorable moments, Kyoko talks with Noriko. Upset, she blurts out "Life is so disappointing, isn't it?" "Yes," answers Noriko, "It is." But she says this with the tone of one who has accepted this aspect of life.

Another excellent Ozu film.

Let The Right One In: Totally coming off like a genre fuddy duddy in this hall. I guess I probably am. Never had a vampire film really grab me. I guess Only Lovers Left Alive was the closest. This did have some decent visuals, the cat attack and final pool scene being the best. The central relationship is solid as well. The rest felt very underdeveloped in service of our vampire. Not a bad watch, just not especially engaging either.

I’m going to sit back and watch the rest of your reviews come in. List forthcoming Cricket.

Let The Right One In: Totally coming off like a genre fuddy duddy in this hall. I guess I probably am. Never had a vampire film really grab me. I guess Only Lovers Left Alive was the closest. This did have some decent visuals, the cat attack and final pool scene being the best. The central relationship is solid as well. The rest felt very underdeveloped in service of our vampire. Not a bad watch, just not especially engaging either.

I’m going to sit back and watch the rest of your reviews come in. List forthcoming Cricket.
Did you watch Knife in the Water? I missed the post if yes

Tokyo Story was my pick for you

But someone snatched it up like a thief in the night!
HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Did you watch Knife in the Water? I missed the post if yes
I believe he reviewed it one or two days ago.

I found it you maniac

Congratulations Sean, you are the 1st member to finish!
The noms hit at a good time, figured I may as well knock it out.

We see the unflattering side of this when Watanabe becomes overly dependent on a much younger coworker named Toyo (Miki Odagiri). Watanabe becomes desperate and intrusive (both physically and emotionally), and it is a lot for Toyo to handle. He wants to understand her joy for life, but his failure to communicate his situation to her creeps her out. I appreciated that the film acknowledged this. It isn't Toyo's job to do the emotional labor of helping her coworker through his end-of-life crisis, and especially not when she doesn't understand the scope of what is happening.
This bit impressed me as well. This could have easily turned into a Chaplin or Woody Allen thing (young girl inexplicably devoted to geezer) so I was glad that it wasn't that.
I'm not ranking the Kurosawas but having watched all of the 40s and 50s films, Ikiru is on the short list of favorites. I went into this expecting to love the samurai films, so I've been (pleasantly) surprised to find Ikiru and One Wonderful Sunday making such an impression on me.

HMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!
Don't look at me I haven't seen that one yet.

Speaking of which, who picked Fantastic Planet for me? Just out of curiosity.

BTW, I'm more than halfway through Ran, but I'm gonna finish it tomorrow. But in the meantime, DAMN, that whole siege scene