Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Father (Florian Zeller, 2020)
As a movie this is kinda bad but you can definitely see the source material being pretty good. From the get-go you can tell its based on a play because of the presentation and pacing and none of that really works in a film, at least not this one.

Dredd - This is not a popcorn movie. With a body count in the hundreds and loads of grandiose, slo-mo, splattery violence this is a grim and uncompromising film. But then it also comes off as one of the most thoroughly faithful comic book adaptations I've ever seen. "Comes off" because I've never actually read the source material. But much like Blade (another CB I haven't read), it succeeds in throwing an entire, fully formed and realized world at the viewer. A healthy dose of subversive, poker-faced humor also helps it run through it's tight and lean ninety minutes.

The cast is excellent with Karl Urban pulling off what is intrinsically a faceless role as Judge Dredd. Olivia Thirlby as psychic trainee Cassandra Anderson and Wood Harris as gang soldier Kay also contribute mightily. But as with every other successful action flick there has to be a righteous villain and Lena Headey as vicious gang leader Ma-Ma puts this over the top. Depending on your personal tolerance for graphic violence this comes highly recommended.

Well, I can't rank Dredd that high, due to how stiff and underwhelming a lot of the action scenes were (which is kind of a problem in a, well, Action movie), but it's still a good film besides that flaw; it has some nice aesthetic tricks in its bag, a "refreshingly" nasty, 80's-style throwback tone, and some legitimately intriguing Sci-Fi ideas keeping it from turning into a mindless shoot-'em-up. Plus, Urban never takes off the helmet!

Promising Young Woman (2020)

Ok, now I have an Oscar nominee to really cheer for this year! This was a borderline 5/5 until the final 15 minutes, as I might have to wait until a rewatch to confirm how I feel about the ending. The story is rather familiar, but the direction and pacing of the plot is wildly unique.

Ok, now I have an Oscar nominee to really cheer for this year! This was a borderline 5/5 until the final 15 minutes, as I might have to wait until a rewatch to confirm how I feel about the ending. The story is rather familiar, but the direction and pacing of the plot is wildly unique.
loved her hair omg

La Casa Lobo, 2018

A young woman named Maria (Amalia Kassai) runs through the woods, pursued by a wolf (Rainer Krause). Maria seeks shelter in a sentient house, along with Ana and Pedro, two pigs she brought with her when she escaped. But Ana and Pedro soon transform into people, and as the wolf waits outside, the dynamics within the house (and with the house itself) begin to shift in dangerous ways.

Craft alone is not enough to make me love a film, and fortunately this is a movie in which the technical craft on display is in fantastic harmony with the mood and narrative being presented.

The film is shot is a stop-motion style that incorporates multiple art forms: painting, sculpture, line drawing, paper mache, etc. The film, characters, and setting are in a constant state of flux. The rooms and the characters themselves are perpetually being "broken down" and rebuilt, sometimes moving from one artistic format to another. Sculpted hands accompany a face that exists as a picture on a wall, or a character "unfolds" only to be rebuilt in paper and layers of paint. The film is relentlessly kinetic, and if it weren't for how ominous and interesting the story was, I think I would have found it a bit overstimulating and tiresome.

Fortunately, as I said before, I found the mood and story of the film to be really interesting. The film begins with a straightforward dynamic whereby the threat (the wolf) is on the outside. But as the film progresses, things inside the house get just as dangerous. The characters inside of the house are all desperate, and desperation can change a person. There is a vulnerable, baffled nature to Maria that makes the whole thing feel very tenuous. Even when she feels safe, we can sense that she isn't.

This film probably won't be for everyone, but I would encourage you to check it out. Among other things it is relatively short. The craft of the stop-motion alone is worth watching.

FANTASTIC PLANET
(1973, Laloux)
A film with a title that starts with the letters E or F

"I grew up fast in that slow world, for a Draag week was equal to one of my years. I was just a living plaything that sometimes dared to rebel."

Set in the mysterious planet of Ygam, Fantastic Planet follows the clashes between the human-like Oms and the giant, blue humanoid Draags that are trying to eradicate the former from their planet, while also keeping them as pets. Terr (Eric Baugin) is a young Om that has been kept as a pet since infancy by Tiwa (Jennifer Drake). But when he accidentally starts to absorb knowledge from his captors, he ends up leaving Tiwa and joining a group of rebel Oms in order to oust their captors.

I found this film both amazing and mesmerizing for so many reasons. I'll start by saying that the opening scene was such a perfect way to capture what this world is about, to expose the themes without spelling them out, but rather with haunting and eerie visuals. Second, the animation was so effective, and you feel like it suits the plot and the era so well. The use of colors and certain angles only helped to amplify the eeriness of this world. Third, the creativity with which director René Laloux and co-writer Roland Topor build this planet and set its environment and rules is nothing short of impressive. Finally, the music is so cool and helps to establish the trippy mood extremely well.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot or in the PR HOF3.

Loved this movie and I'll just say it...I think Mulligan will win Best Actress for her incredible performane

I watched Hitch Hike to Hell on blu ray. Directed by Irvin Berwick, the film stars Robert Gribbin as a seemingly mild mannered laundry delivery driver who lives with his mother. He also has a bad habit of picking up hitchhikers and runaways and killing them. This is definitely a B movie, but it is a satisfying and entertaining one. The story is an interesting one and the performances are effective for this type of movie. If you like 70s/80s cult B movies, then you might like this. My rating is a

The description of the movie's plot sounds pretty sick. Is it some type of comedy?

Victim of The Night
FANTASTIC PLANET
(1973, Laloux)
A film with a title that starts with the letters E or F

Set in the mysterious planet of Ygam, Fantastic Planet follows the clashes between the human-like Oms and the giant, blue humanoid Draags that are trying to eradicate the former from their planet, while also keeping them as pets. Terr (Eric Baugin) is a young Om that has been kept as a pet since infancy by Tiwa (Jennifer Drake). But when he accidentally starts to absorb knowledge from his captors, he ends up leaving Tiwa and joining a group of rebel Oms in order to oust their captors.

I found this film both amazing and mesmerizing for so many reasons. I'll start by saying that the opening scene was such a perfect way to capture what this world is about, to expose the themes without spelling them out, but rather with haunting and eerie visuals. Second, the animation was so effective, and you feel like it suits the plot and the era so well. The use of colors and certain angles only helped to amplify the eeriness of this world. Third, the creativity with which director René Laloux and co-writer Roland Topor build this planet and set its environment and rules is nothing short of impressive. Finally, the music is so cool and helps to establish the trippy mood extremely well.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot or in the PR HOF3.
I love me some Fantastic Planet.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Ne Zha (2019)
+++ This Mandarin gem is filled with humor and an affirming message about love and family, and making your own fate. Set in the world of Chinese Folklore and Sorcery, this is a very well done animation. Not picturesque, but extremely good. As is the story, the characters, and a lot of the humor in the same vein as many Pixar and Dreamworks animation in the States.

It is currently on Netflix, and I highly recommend the subtitled version since the director made sure to find perfect voice actors for each of his characters, and they do nail it.
I laughed, I was captivated, I shed tears near the end -- a fun, entertaining animation with a positive message.

DEATH PROOF
(2007)

Re-watch. I consider this movie Quentin Tarantino's weakest film. But as I re-watched it this evening, I found myself enjoying it much more than I did last time I watched it which was years ago.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Ne Zha (2019)
+++ This Mandarin gem is filled with humor and an affirming message about love and family, and making your own fate. Set in the world of Chinese Folklore and Sorcery, this is a very well done animation. Not picturesque, but extremely good. As is the story, the characters, and a lot of the humor in the same vein as many Pixar and Dreamworks animation in the States.

It is currently on Netflix, and I highly recommend the subtitled version since the director made sure to find perfect voice actors for each of his characters, and they do nail it.
I laughed, I was captivated, I shed tears near the end -- a fun, entertaining animation with a positive message.
gosh that creeped me out lol