Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sounds intriguing. I liked Rubber when I watched it.

And I haven't seen it but this sounds like it would be right up your alley.
Don't forget the German classic Killer Condom. It's been too long since I saw it, so can't really say if it was good or not.

Sounds intriguing. I liked Rubber when I watched it.

And I haven't seen it but this sounds like it would be right up your alley.
I enjoyed Rubber too. I haven't seen Death Bed, but it sounds interesting. If you like these sort of films I would recommend Killer Sofa, Killer Piñata, and Attack of the Killer Donuts.

Dredd - This is not a popcorn movie. With a body count in the hundreds and loads of grandiose, slo-mo, splattery violence this is a grim and uncompromising film. But then it also comes off as one of the most thoroughly faithful comic book adaptations I've ever seen. "Comes off" because I've never actually read the source material. But much like Blade (another CB I haven't read), it succeeds in throwing an entire, fully formed and realized world at the viewer. A healthy dose of subversive, poker-faced humor also helps it run through it's tight and lean ninety minutes.

The cast is excellent with Karl Urban pulling off what is intrinsically a faceless role as Judge Dredd. Olivia Thirlby as psychic trainee Cassandra Anderson and Wood Harris as gang soldier Kay also contribute mightily. But as with every other successful action flick there has to be a righteous villain and Lena Headey as vicious gang leader Ma-Ma puts this over the top. Depending on your personal tolerance for graphic violence this comes highly recommended.

I enjoyed Rubber too. I haven't seen Death Bed, but it sounds interesting. If you like these sort of films I would recommend Killer Sofa, Killer Piñata, and Attack of the Killer Donuts.
Don't forget Killer End Tables and Killer Entertainment Center. That had an awesome tagline. "Feel free to binge-watch...till you die!"

Dredd - This is not a popcorn movie. With a body count in the hundreds and loads of grandiose, slo-mo, splattery violence this is a grim and uncompromising film. But then it also comes off as one of the most thoroughly faithful comic book adaptations I've ever seen. "Comes off" because I've never actually read the source material. But much like Blade (another CB I haven't read), it succeeds in throwing an entire, fully formed and realized world at the viewer. A healthy dose of subversive, poker-faced humor also helps it run through it's tight and lean ninety minutes.

The cast is excellent with Karl Urban pulling off what is intrinsically a faceless role as Judge Dredd. Olivia Thirlby as psychic trainee Cassandra Anderson and Wood Harris as gang soldier Kay also contribute mightily. But as with every other successful action flick there has to be a righteous villain and Lena Headey as vicious gang leader Ma-Ma puts this over the top. Depending on your personal tolerance for graphic violence this comes highly recommended.

hope u watched the original one from the 80s-90s version?

hope u watched the original one from the 80s-90s version?
Stallone? Oh yeah, I watched it.

キュア (1997)
aka Cure

A film that's been on my watchlist for ages. I honestly don't know why I hadn't watched it before, considering that I loved Kairo. It's slow, bleak, and stylistic. I personally like Kairo's ghosts more than what Cure has to offer, but it's just a subject preference. I'll probably watch Charisma tomorrow.

キュア (1997)
aka Cure

A film that's been on my watchlist for ages. I honestly don't know why I hadn't watched it before, considering that I loved Kairo. It's slow, bleak, and stylistic. I personally like Kairo's ghosts more than what Cure has to offer, but it's just a subject preference. I'll probably watch Charisma tomorrow.
I adore this one. Glad you got to it.

Hidden Fortress was a lot of fun and is just plain gorgeous to look at. Mildly disappointed, however, that Princess Yuki never opened a can of whupass on anybody like I was h̶o̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ expecting.

Victim of The Night

I really enjoy getting high and watching this film.

I LOVE Dredd and I am unrelentingly upset that I failed to see it in the theater.

キュア (1997)
aka Cure

There is a lot to appreciate about the film on a rewatch once you "get" what is happening.

I Think We're Alone Now - I had never really heard of this and went into it cold based on the two stars, Peter Dinklage and Elle Fanning. Despite having seen countless end of the world movies I have yet to tire of the genre. This started out showing a little promise with Dinklage playing Del, the apparent sole survivor of an unspecified apocalypse. The opening few minutes follow him in his daily routine as he methodically combs through neighborhoods, tidying up, scavenging batteries and disposing of whatever bodies he runs across. His continued existence is based on a half formed code of staving off chaos in his little corner of the world. He lives in the library where he worked and adheres as closely as possible to his old life in order to cope. One night he wakes to an explosion and sees fireworks going off. The next morning he follows the sound of a car alarm and finds an unconscious young woman behind the wheel of a wrecked car. This turns out to be Grace (Fanning), a somewhat secretive young woman who is reticent to speak about her previous life. She doesn't want to leave so Del grudgingly allows her to stay on a trial basis. This odd couple situation is never allowed to fully develop before a plot twist takes the movie on an entirely unexpected and somewhat jarring tangent. We're kind of left with two distinct movies and the bottom line is that they don't mesh very well. So in the end we're sort of left doubly unsatisfied. I like Dinklage and Fanning though so there is that.

I LOVE Dredd and I am unrelentingly upset that I failed to see it in the theater.
I also would have loved to have seen it on a big screen and in it's original 3-D.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
男はつらいよ 寅次郎恋歌 [Tora-san's Love Call] (1971) -

WARNING: "Tora-san" spoilers below
While I thought the previous two Tora-sans were a significant improvement in quality, this one is the best Tora-san film so far. A true masterpiece. Hiroshi's family bonds and his father played by Takashi Shimura make for a strong first half, but it's the second part where Yamada really pulls out all his cards. Usually, Tora-san falls in love too fast and there isn't really any reason for this apart from the girl being cute. Here he falls in love just as fast but this time the Madonna seems a perfect match for Tora-san, the scenes with them in the middle of the night were so romantic, beautiful, and moving, and when she said she'd like to travel I thought that there is no way this can end in any other way than a she-and-her-son-both-die-in-a-car-accident deus ex machina ending so that Tora can keep being a vagabond and series can continue. But... that wasn't the case. Tora-san decided to leave again... this time running away not with a broken heart but too afraid that his heart will potentially be broken. Also, too afraid to take responsibility and too afraid to change his vagabond ways. He also seems ashamed that he can't help Takako financially when she's in need. The ending is a big disappointment but also adds a lot to Tora-san's psychological portrait. Judging from the cast on Letterboxd, Takako will never appear again (but she might, the cast isn't complete/perfect), which is quite a disappointment, too, because her story wasn't completed either. I get the formula of Madonnas and that every film needs to have one but it's still sad. By now I'm pretty sure Tora-san will never ever settle down. Now I understand why every non-Tora-san Yamada film has a happy ending. And yes, his uncle is right, Tora is a complete fool.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

カリスマ (1999)
aka Charisma

This is a bit different film by Kiyoshi Kurosawa. It's closer to Miike or Lynch than Kairo or Cure. It's a tad too focused on allegories at the expense of the story and characters, but it's still oddly fascinating. It's a lighter presentation of the same heavy themes Kurosawa deals with in his other films. I just like the darker approach more. Still, haven't seen a bad film from either Kurosawa.