24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Finally finished it and damn, that was a rough watch I walked in more or less blind, but I should've prepared a bit. I don't respond well to films about the elderly, mostly because I get memories of my grandmother whose death still hurts me, even though it was 10-11 years ago. This was no exception. Anyway, proper review later, but I loved it.
Yeah, it’s a tough watch. I picked it specifically because it isn’t a film I see mentioned often. When looking at the BFI top 100 British films, and looking at what’s included, I’m somewhat baffled The Whisperers was excluded, while a film like The Go Between was included.

Anyways, response to it has been largely positive, so I’m happy for that. My next pick will be far less depressing haha

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Antwone Fisher

Jerome Davenport: "Who will cry for the little boy, lost and all alone / Who will cry for the little boy, abandoned without his own"
Antwone Fisher: "Who will cry for the little boy, he cried himself to sleep / Who will cry for the little boy, who never had it for keeps / Who will cry for the little boy, who walked on burning sands / Who will cry for the little boy, the boy inside a man / Who will cry for the little boy, who knew well hurt and pain / Who will cry for the little boy, who died and died again / Who will cry for the little boy, a good boy he tried to be / Who will cry for the little boy, who cries inside of me"
Jerome Davenport: Who will cry for the little boy Antwone?
Antwone Fisher: I will, I always do.

I have always found a kind of security when watching a Denzil Washington film. There's a calmness in that man that tells you, it's gonna be alright. You're okay. We. Are okay.
Which sometimes is a two edged sword because there are films I would love to feel the tension that is presented, but the "voice" in my head knows, hey, it's Denzil, he's got this.
Still, the man is a professional and it's a given that at any given point you will be caught up in the story presented and it shows when the final act comes around and you have several tears of joy of how things are turning out.

Arguably, there are a number of tropes that do get used, though they are done very well; this films does, and did, draw me in enough that when Fisher finds his father's family it did get me to shed some happy tears.

Finished Shame, will get a review posted tomorrow night. Interesting film.
I watched the first hour, and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't enjoyed what I've seen this far. I will continue my shameful journey with Shame either later today or tomorrow.

I watched the first hour, and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't enjoyed what I've seen this far. I will continue my shameful journey with Shame either later today or tomorrow.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Cool, then maybe I'll get another list soon! I think that's your last one now that MG is out.

I'm currently writing a review for The Whisperers and will rewatch Vampyr probably during the weeked. I'm on my way, raul!

THE WHISPERERS
(1967, Forbes)

Radio: "The problem, the major problem of old age is undoubtedly loneliness. A great many old people live entirely alone, unvisited and unwanted, living day in and day out in small rooms without company or friends."
Margaret: "Poor old souls."

The above quote comes from a news article that Margaret Ross (Edith Evans) listens to. A report she dismisses a bit condescendingly while standing alone, unvisited, in her small apartment, as if it had nothing to do with her. Because, even though Ross lives impoverished and alone, in a rundown street of England, she lives mostly detached from her reality, either consciously or subconsciously. That is the focus of 1967's The Whisperers.

I admit I walked into this more or less blind. Various plot synopsis made it sound as if the film was some sort of spooky drama because Ross seems to be haunted or bothered by "voices" she hears around her apartment, the so-called "whisperers". As a matter of fact, one of the first scenes of the film is her going to the police station to inquire about the police "investigation" on this "voices", an inquiry which the police officer dismisses by assuring her that they have a "brave" man "always on the job".

But I was surprised to see that the film was a more dramatic exploration at the life and mind of an elderly woman who has been essentially abandoned by everyone, from her no-good husband and her criminal son to maybe even God? (another early scene features Ross in a small church service for poor people where she's mistreated by other attendants that mock her and call her "dozy old cow").

But Ross carries on, somewhat oblivious to her surroundings, claiming that she'll eventually receive a substantial amount of money from some alleged businesses, while signing her letters to the National Assistance government office as "Countess of Erde, Dame of the Order of the Garter, Doctor of Law". It was initially hard to peg Ross cause she does behave somewhat obnoxiously and condescendingly during the first half. But as the plot progresses, and you see what she's actually been through, her life and situation becomes more heartbreaking.

The real highlight of the film is Evans' performance. A performance that, even before finishing the film, I felt was among the best female performances I've ever seen. The way Evans conveys the solitude and loneliness of Ross, hidden behind the facade of pretensions and false hopes was nothing short of impressive. The scene where she suddenly comes upon a money stash that was hidden by her son is a spectacle of emotions and non-verbal acting.

But her performance is not the only one that shines. Every performance is spot on; from the sleaziness of her husband (Eric Portman) and her son (Ronald Fraser) to the cunning of the woman that cons her (Avis Bunnage) or the genuine worry from Mr. Conrad (Gerald Sim), the employee at the National Assistance that seems to be the only one to actually care about Ross.

The film does seem to wander a bit in the last act, as we see Ross' husband get mixed up with the wrong crowd. But it serves the purpose of getting things back to the main theme, which is the abandonment and disregard of the elderly from pretty much everybody, and the effect it has in their mental health. As someone who usually finds himself affected by this kind of film, this one hit me in the right spot. Among the best I've seen recently.

Grade:

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Cool, then maybe I'll get another list soon! I think that's your last one now that MG is out.
just to review, if I may, the films that are out are:
Deer Hunter
The Sea Inside
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

correct?

If so that'll leave me:
Beasts of the Southern Wild
In a Glass Cage

along with my write up for Shame tonight

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Deer Hunter
The Sea Inside

correct?

If so that'll leave me:
In a Glass Cage

Correct!

The trick is not minding
Deer Hunter
The Sea Inside

correct?

If so that'll leave me:
In a Glass Cage

What? Ed is ahead of me? This I can’t abide....