The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

Battle Royale
In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.
That sounds like a rip off of Hunger Games...which I didn't like...so I'm thinking I wouldn't like Battle Royale either.

...hey CR, I picked A Man Escaped for you and even though it was a bit of a blind grab that was planning to watch and just having finished Pickpocket I had a strong feeling you'd enjoy the preparations for the escape.
With the two of Bresson's I've seen, he does have a preference for using non actors. Believing he got a more natural response from them. Though I do agree the performance is a bit stoic, I quite enjoyed it. I am sorry that aspect did not work for you, though.
As always, I thank anyone who tried to pick a movie for me I know it ain't always easy! Like I said I was OK with it, say lukewarm. My wife liked it though and that's a plus.

Harakiri, 1962

A ronin named Hanshiro (Tatsuya Nakadai) arrives at the home of a powerful lord where he requests permission to commit harakiri, ritual suicide. The men attempt to dissuade Hanshiro, telling him about another ronin who also showed up with such a request. Suspecting that he was only hoping for them to pay him to leave, they instead (with no small amount of smarminess) decided to force him to go through with the suicide. Undeterred, Hanshiro claims to want to go through with the ritual. But when he is gathered in the court with all of the samurai, it becomes clear that he does have some connection with the previous suicide.

This film is a mix of action, drama, and thriller elements. I really enjoyed it.

The larger theme of the film is to do with honor, and more specifically the hypocrisy of larger institutions. As Hanshiro's story develops and goes more in depth in its flashbacks, it pulls into stark contrast the misery that would drive some people to take such as risky gamble as the fake suicide and also the callous inhumanity of men who would rather force a man to take his own life than have to deal with beggars.

The look of the film is fabulous, both in the theatrical staging of the sequences in the courtyard (which play out almost like a courtroom drama) and the action scenes, including one in which Hanshiro and another man duel in a windblown field of long grass.

I'm still kind of processing the film on an emotional level, but as a narrative it is incredibly compelling. The final 20 minutes or so are brutal and cutting, and a very memorable truth-to-power moment.

Battle Royale

That sounds like a rip off of Hunger Games...which I didn't like...so I'm thinking I wouldn't like Battle Royale either.
Honestly don't know which came first but Hunger Games is a masterpiece comparatively...and I don't like Hunger Games.

Battle Royale

Other way around, and Battle Royale has some moments of brilliant dark comedy.

The trick is not minding
Battle Royale

It actually predates The Hunger Games by 12 years.

Pretty sure Battle Royale came first. I was psyched to see it but was disappointed. I do want to try it again.

So Ed picked A Man Escaped blindly but then ended up watching it first because it was picked for him? I like that.

Harakiri probably makes my countdown ballot.

I didn't love Battle Royale, but liked it well enough.

Does the English-dubbed version of Fantastic Planet have the MoFo "seal of approval"? or should I seek the subtitled version instead? The one available on The Roku Channel is dubbed. I usually prefer to watch films in their original languages, but I'm willing to make an exception.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Pretty sure Battle Royale came first. I was psyched to see it but was disappointed. I do want to try it again.

So Ed picked A Man Escaped blindly but then ended up watching it first because it was picked for him? I like that.

Harakiri probably makes my countdown ballot.
I had rented the two Bresson films a couple of days before everyone sent in their nominations and had watched one and was hyped to see the second one and thought: I think CR may enjoy this before I had a chance to watch it and thought it pretty kismet that I'd get a recommendation for it, so I added it to the binge watching of the three films I did this weekend for this HoF.

And as for Harak-kiri, I am a very big fan of that film. Very glad to hear you enjoyed it Takoma. An incredible samurai film that dealt with the more grittier underbelly of the hardships of a Ronin (a master-less samurai) and the hypocrisy of those of power.
And, that final act!! Quite the culmination of all the emotional build up let loose with such an intense and extremely well done one-man-against-many.
Like cricket, that one will be on my ballot.

Other way around, and Battle Royale has some moments of brilliant dark comedy.
This. Battle Royale is really good. My biggest complaint about it is completely unrelated to the film itself, but to the video game industry that churns gazillion BR games because they're cheap to do and popular.

The trick is not minding
It’s been awhile, but I did get about an hour in BR before we lost power, and never got a chance to finish it. I seem to remember liking It enough. Maybe someday I can finish it.

I also liked HG, but mostly because of Jennifer Lawrence.

Before the book too (2008). We can officially thank BR for teen violence fun.
I don't know. Summer Camp Nightmare splashed around in those waters in the late 80s.