Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Zack Snyder’s JUSTICE LEAGUE aka THE SNYDER CUT! The Snyder What? The Snyder Lot. Lots and lots and lots of... A LOT!

Listen, just rewatch the 2 hour cut twice and call it day... Maybe put up some cardboard on either side of the television to achieve the full SNYDERVISION!!!

Is this better than the first cut? I guess. Don’t really remember the first cut to be fair. Was the four hours needed? Definitely not. Because throwing even more stuff at a weak fundament doesn’t exactly help things.

I blame corona for the love for this film. People finally get a sip of water and suddenly they all call it champagne...

Fun fact: both cuts are actually the same length. Snyder just slowed down 80% of the movie.

I watched Fallen Angels (1995), directed by Wong Kar-wai and starring Leon Lai, Michelle Reis, and Takeshi Kaneshiro. I found this somewhat underwhelming. Although the film is reasonably well crafted, I didn't find the story very engaging or interesting. I had a hard time caring about the characters. I thought the performances were fine, but the film was not very compelling or satisfying for me. There are some strong moments, but I felt it dragged on at times and felt longer than it is. I wouldn't consider it a bad movie, but I can't say that I enjoyed it. My rating is a

Zack Snyder’s Justice League effectively fixes the Saturday Morning cartoon/Frankenstein’d to random grim dark monstrosity that was the almost unwatchable Whedon cut.

The film restores every character, discovers new themes, and despite it's gargantuan length, flows far better than the butchered version.

It still has issues of being a Macguffin hunt (seemingly the go-to for tentpole films) and lacks the foundation laid by a competent MCU that made Infinity War/Endgame so satisfying. It also is the victim of some dialogue clunk ("smell of a motherbox" should only be uttered in a comedy) that I assumed wouldn't be in this version.

However, it nails it's depiction of it's characters (Cyborg and Flash are completely transformed, while Superman allows Cavill to more closely align with the idealized version) and Snyder is a master of spectacle, operating somewhere as a combination of Wong Kar Wai and the Watchoskis.

It's messy and slips here and there but it's also often great genre filmmaking that is always ambitious.

La Funeraria (2020)
aka The Funeral Home

Pointless and boring Argentinian horror. The plot is quite senseless, none of the characters deserve the viewer's sympathy, and there's very little atmosphere or scares. It doesn't look awful, though.

NOMADLAND
(2020, Zhao)
A film directed by a woman

"No, I'm not homeless. I'm just houseless."

Nomadland follows Fern, whose nomadic lifestyle takes her from the coldness of Northern Nevada and the deserts of Arizona to the remoteness of South Dakota and the relative "comforts" of California. Through all that, we get to see her struggles to survive and scrape by, whether it's enduring a particularly cold winter in her van or not knowing how to pay for a costly repair to her home/van. In the process, she meets a group of fellow nomads which she befriends and learns from.

The film manages to effectively convey how hard it is to ultimately make ends meet for regular people; people that have been sometimes reluctantly pushed towards this lifestyle for lack of any other choices. The way that the film shows the way that America's economic system pretty much abandons hard-working, elderly people to their own luck, was mostly on point. I also thought that putting her at work at an Amazon fulfillment center was particularly clever, considering the fact that Amazon's pretty much the biggest company right now and its CEO is close to become the world's first trillionaire.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Sure has a good cast.

This film was so weird. Still not sure what to make of it. There were many things I liked, but overall... I don't know. It felt like the director wasn't even sure of what he wanted the film to be.

[quote=WHITBISSELL!;2188642]

Didn't think I'd get into it's film with it's wistful style but I did.

Sure has a good cast.

I've watched 2 times and it's a solid movie with great performances.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Snowpiercer (2013)

After watching the series, I wanted to check the movie as well. So, the movie compared to the show:

+ the train looks more like a train
+ political allegory isn't as much in your face
+/- it feels much more like an old-school SciFi
+/- it's way more over the top and goofy in a Korean way
- the train doesn't look like it could sustain the people
- all the characters are boring
- the ending is just plain stupid

I think season one of the show is better than the film. Season two is struggling a bit, but even it's really close. Just like The Host, I don't understand why this is considered so good.

Justice League 1/10 didnt like it at all. only good dc movie is suicide sqaud. gal gadot shes an amazing actress loved her fighting skills and i like henry cavill his a good actor loved some of his movies. but to be honest marvel makes better movies then DC

Just finished Zack Snyder's Justice League, and at the risk of damning it with faint praise, I have to say that at least it's somewhat better than Whedon's cut... but that's such an incredibly low bar to clear in the first place, it's really not that big a deal. Yes, it's a more dramatic, fleshed-out experience than the original version was, and Snyder does have a more striking personal aesthetic than Whedon, but he's still a mixed bag of an auteur, putting in the most obvious needle drops, desaturating the look of the film to an almost absurd length (no wonder the poster for this version is in black-&-white), and insisting on making everything feel as grim and over-dramatic as he possibly can, which lessens the overall impact the film should've had. Plus, it turns out indulging him with an over-extended four hour runtime did nothing to correct his already poor grip on pacing and story structure, it only exacerbated it; who would've thought? I mean, I hate to sound like a glass half-empty type, as it's a decent film now, but just barely (and even then, that may be just because I can't help but compare it to the original version), and when the combined budget that WB & HBO spent on the different versions of this film make it the second most expensive movie ever made, and all that money, time, and public hooplah got us in the end was a barely decent film, and you can't help but wonder how many other, more worthy projects they could've spent it on, projects that lacked the franchise name recognition or the unreasonably rabid fanbase of this one.

Fake documentary where former members recall their times living with the Family. Nothing new if you've seen or read anything about the cult but it does go where few films about Manson have gone before. There's plenty of sex, drugs and violence. Going off of memory, but it seemed to follow the facts of the case pretty accurately so you end up with an exploitation bio pic. Very low budget, hard to say if it was goofy acting because most involved were goofy to begin with and it does have a silly sub-plot about a new Family emerging but overall it wasn't too bad.