Oscar's Best Original Screenplay 2021

Tools    

Which script will be named Best Original by the Oscars?
0%
0 votes
Judas and the Black Messiah
10.00%
1 votes
Minari
40.00%
4 votes
Promising Young Woman
0%
0 votes
Sound of Metal
50.00%
5 votes
The Trial of the Chicago 7
10 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five projects chosen for Original Screenplay. Which will be smooched by Oscar?

Judas and the Black Messiah
Minari
Promising Young Woman
Sound of Metal
The Trial of the Chicago 7

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Judas, Metal, and Trial all deserve the win. I'm gonna say Trial because it's Sorkin.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I still think its wild something based on true events can be considered an original screenplay.
Structure and dialogue, for two main components. Unless you are adapting a non-fiction book (as in last year's The Irishman, which was taken from the book I Heard You Paint Houses), just because it is true or based on exploits of real people doesn't automatically make it adapted.

How much of it is adapted from records of the actual trial, though?
Not sure, though court transcripts are not previously published by an author as a play, book, or other screenplays are.

They are all somewhat at par. I chose the Chicago 7.

Emerald Fennell wins for her first ever screenplay. In a year that broke with many traditions the ceremony opened up with the two screenplays as the first awards of the night. She also won the Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award for Original Screenplay.