The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

The Given Word (1962)

Do I talk about the movie or do I talk about the print? This was borderline unwatchable everything was very fuzzy and the film is loud making this feel like an anti-ASMR viewing.

The basic story is a poor man with a cross runs around Brazil and offends the establishment. We get a vibrant scene of Brazil and the score just keeps going and going and going. I did not like this at all I think I stopped it four or five times as I was getting a migraine. It's a very political film, perhaps it's communist message hurts it's chances of being released. I don't even think I saw the sick donkey which is the impetus for the story. It might be good for some people but I was just bored and angry about it.

This is a great idea. I really wish I'd seen this thread earlier.
Do you like Asian films? We're going to do an Asian Film HoF which will start really soon. It should be small with not many members, so easy to do and fun!

The Given Word (1962)

Do I talk about the movie or do I talk about the print? This was borderline unwatchable everything was very fuzzy and the film is loud making this feel like an anti-ASMR viewing.

The basic story is a poor man with a cross runs around Brazil and offends the establishment. We get a vibrant scene of Brazil and the score just keeps going and going and going. I did not like this at all I think I stopped it four or five times as I was getting a migraine. It's a very political film, perhaps it's communist message hurts it's chances of being released. I don't even think I saw the sick donkey which is the impetus for the story. It might be good for some people but I was just bored and angry about it.
No sick donkey???

What a useless piece of crap!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Port of Shadows
(1938)

An early film noir...Port of Shadows is a mixed bag a three act story that lands the opening and closing but misses the middle. Port of Shadows is a story of men and women on the fringes of society. An AWOL soldier ends up in a dive bar where he hooks up with gangsters and a 17 year old who is being "taken care of" by her godfather.

The depressed guy smoking a cigarette cliche likely didn't start here but it's well used. We also have a dog that I suppose it supposed to be symbolic of our lead. The dog is well trained and poorly used which is my biggest knock of the film. Jean reluctantly taking in strays is a good idea for a film and story...but Port of Shadows just kinda glosses right over that to give us a third rate pulp gangster film.

Visually Carne demonstrates a deft ability to give us the audience a solid look at this world. Taking from German Expressionism Port of Shadows gives us the watcher a solid mood. We are also not stuck in single rooms as the film gives us the entire ghetto. That's a big plus in it's favor. I'm not sure where I'm going to rank this film when it's all said and done. The subject matter is strong but only implied you know 20-30 years later you would have gotten hit by a stronger film. I think in a lot of ways this is what the New Wave rebelled against.

Thank you for whomever nominated this one because it'll give me a lot to think about.
Honor and a Pleasure.
I had figured, being one of the last ones to get a list of noms together that the list you posted was gonna be used up, so, I crossed my fingers and went with one on my watchlist.

The 400 Blows (Truffaut 1959)

I'm off to a great start as the very first film that I watched I really liked.

The 400 Blows
is a very balanced film that never preaches or tries to make a case by focusing purely on a one sided issue. I mean in one way the troubled kid has problems which are a result of his dysfunctional family, especially his mother who never wanted him and shipped off to live with the relatives as soon as she could. Then again much of the problems the teen faces comes from his own dumb ass behavior. He does a lot of really stupid stunts and screws up constantly. He's not overly sympathetic, yet he's very real and believable.

Oh, I always thought the 400 Blows referred to some brutal beatings the kid had endured. That's not what the title means, I read that properly translated from French it means 400 pranks...referring to all the dumb stunts the kid ends up pulling.

So what does the film have to say? At the end we see the boy running free towards the ocean, of course he's not really free until he starts shaping up.

Sounds like a very large portion of my youth lol
Looking forward to seeing this one myself.
I might have to watch it early and compare.

I watched Au Revoir les Enfants (1987), directed by Louis Malle. This Oscar nominated drama is about a French boarding school run by priests during World War II and the secrets of the boys at the school. This is a very well made film and the performances are quite good, especially by the young boys. They felt very believable and real. The film does a good job of building to a powerful and haunting conclusion. I'm glad I watched this film and would recommend it. Thanks to whoever suggested it for me. I rate it a

Well, I guess why not? unless you ask otherwise, I'll reveal mine as I see fit...

The 400 Blows (Truffaut 1959)

I'm off to a great start as the very first film that I watched I really liked.

The 400 Blows
is a very balanced film that never preaches or tries to make a case by focusing purely on a one sided issue. I mean in one way the troubled kid has problems which are a result of his dysfunctional family, especially his mother who never wanted him and shipped off to live with the relatives as soon as she could. Then again much of the problems the teen faces comes from his own dumb ass behavior. He does a lot of really stupid stunts and screws up constantly. He's not overly sympathetic, yet he's very real and believable.

Oh, I always thought the 400 Blows referred to some brutal beatings the kid had endured. That's not what the title means, I read that properly translated from French it means 400 pranks...referring to all the dumb stunts the kid ends up pulling.

So what does the film have to say? At the end we see the boy running free towards the ocean, of course he's not really free until he starts shaping up.

This one was on me. To be honest, I feel like I need to rewatch it to appreciate it more, but since I saw a lot of classic 50/60's dramas through your favorites, I felt this was a nice fit for you. Glad you liked it.

An Autumn Afternoon, 1962

Hirayama (Chishu Ryu) is an older man who lives with his daughter, Michiko (Shima Iwa****a and son, Kazuo (Shin'ichiro Mikami). His older son, Koichi (Keiji Sada) is married and lives with his wife, Akiko (Mariko Okada). When Hirayama reunites with one of his teachers from when he was a teenager, the older man confesses his error in not marrying off his daughter, who is now middle aged. The two have a strained relationship, and Hirayama is encouraged to find Michiko a husband before it is too late.

I only just watched Ozu's Late Spring a short while ago, and the parallels between the two films are striking, as well as the ways in which they diverge. Both films center on a single man being pressured to find a husband for his daughter before she gets "too old", something that will shift the lives of both parties. But while Late Spring focused strongly on the relationship between the father and daughter, this film takes a wider view on things, taking time to show the dynamics of Koichi's married life and giving more attention to the notion that life is ever in flux.

Ozu's film are, in the best way, hang out films for me. Watching them feels like spending a holiday with my family. Nothing grand is happening, and yet it is good for your soul. At times I find myself not even reading the subtitles all that closely, but just feeling in flow with the film. The writing and acting are all incredibly naturalistic, and the way that Ozu shoots his characters--well-composed shots absent flashy angles or overly close/near distances--you feel like you are in the room with them.

I can see why many people regard this as Ozu's best. There is a kind of calm or zen that seems to radiate from the film. The characters, like most people, are only trying to do their best. Even when there is conflict, such as a low-key fight between Koichi and Akiko about him spending too much money on gold clubs, there is humor and affection behind it.

As with Late Spring, my only complaint is the way that the character of the daughter, seemingly the character on which the change in life hinges, becomes uncentered in the last act. I don't have a problem with the idea being that the focus is mostly on the father character and how his life changes with the possibility of losing part of his household. But the idea that how the daughter characters feel at the end of the film isn't worth screen time bugs me a little bit. As with Late Spring, in the end the father is
WARNING: spoilers below
applauded by an older woman for his sacrifice in giving up his daughter. But these conversations--which never involve the daughters themselves--feel a bit as if they objectify/commodify the daughters. There's something a little condescending in the idea that women in their 20s don't actually know what they want out of life.

This is a beautifully shot film that absolutely oozes good vibes and a kind of melancholy/bittersweet celebration of the transient nature of life.

Well, I guess why not? unless you ask otherwise, I'll reveal mine as I see fit... The 400 Blows

This one was on me. To be honest, I feel like I need to rewatch it to appreciate it more, but since I saw a lot of classic 50/60's dramas through your favorites, I felt this was a nice fit for you. Glad you liked it.
It was a nice fit! Thanks for choosing it.

I haven't seen An Autumn Afternoon, but I almost guarantee I'd like it.
I have a hard time imagining anyone who really likes film disliking it, as the composition, pacing, and acting are so good.

Now, if you don't really vibe with a sort of "nothing happens, but everything happens" story, I could see not loving it as much as I did.

4 of the 6 members who have watched a movie, have watched the movie at the top of their list-I am simply awestruck!

I knew it wouldn't take you long Allaby, but I'm not reading your write up yet until I watch it too.

I've seen my fair share of Ozu movies, and An Autumn Afternoon is undoubtedly one of the best.

4 of the 6 members who have watched a movie, have watched the movie at the top of their list-I am simply awestruck!

I knew it wouldn't take you long Allaby, but I'm not reading your write up yet until I watch it too.

I've seen my fair share of Ozu movies, and An Autumn Afternoon is undoubtedly one of the best.
I'm just working my way down the list, alphabetically.

I have a hard time imagining anyone who really likes film disliking it, as the composition, pacing, and acting are so good.

Now, if you don't really vibe with a sort of "nothing happens, but everything happens" story, I could see not loving it as much as I did.
I loved Late Spring I rated it a
, so I'm sure An Autumn Afternoon would be right up my alley. Glad you liked it too.

Orpheus: Unfortunately I am not smart enough to fully embrace this film. I did enjoy it though. The acting and the visuals were really great. I really liked the dialogue as well, despite scratching my head as to what the director was driving at most of the time. I feel like I have gotten much better at not letting my inability to engage with themes keep me from loving a movie. I need an entry point though, and this film never really gave me one. Because of how much I liked the visuals I will definitely be moving Beauty And The Beast up my watchlist before the foreign countdown.

An Autumn Afternoon, 1962

Ozu's film are, in the best way, hang out films for me. Watching them feels like spending a holiday with my family. Nothing grand is happening, and yet it is good for your soul.
I love this description of Ozu's films. It expresses the emotion felt watching them beautifully.

Watched A Man Escaped tonight, it's a little late to write a review so that'll be tomorrow night. Great film as I expected it would be.

Do you like Asian films? We're going to do an Asian Film HoF which will start really soon. It should be small with not many members, so easy to do and fun!
I have seen a good deal of classic Japanese cinema and some anime (Kon, Miyazaki, Akira, that sort of thing) but I am sure I have significant gaps. So yes, I'd be interested. Is there any chance you could tag me when that starts? Thanks!

I loved Late Spring I rated it a
, so I'm sure An Autumn Afternoon would be right up my alley. Glad you liked it too.
Late Spring was the only Ozu film I really connected with. Certainly his best in my opinion.

Fallen Angels (1995)

The Killer's Agent: As I was leaving, I asked if he'd give me a ride home. I hadn't ridden on a motorcycle in a long time. Actually, I hadn't been that close to a man for a while. The road wasn't that long, and I knew I'd be getting off soon. But at that moment I felt such warmth.

In Fallen Angels we follow a hitman for a little while, spend some time with his agent, join a mute for some of his escapades and then it ends. The common thread seems to be loneliness, blonde hair and how to cope with it. The easiest part of Fallen Angels to discuss is its style. Within the first few minutes I knew I was going to like this just based off of style. If everything else failed there's still the eye candy. Unique camera angles, the chaos of shootouts being blurred, colors of Hong Kong's neon nights just popping, the way shots were framed - it was all very nice to watch. Also, the music was fantastic...it all just worked. So what about the story? Well, I liked it. This isn't a movie that you can really grab onto the characters, at least I didn't. They're either pretty cold or a little crazy, but I think that was the point. They were supposed to be a little out of touch (how many of us can really relate to a hitman?) but that didn't make them any less interesting. They're all looking for something that seems to be just within their grasp - just scraping their fingertips - only to come up empty handed. Kind of like when you pull your lat while stretching for the remote control that fell under the couch. It sucks, it's painful but sometimes that's life. The Mute was the most charismatic character by far and his intro/story had me laughing a few times. There's a sadness to the movie but it's not a movie that makes you sad and the ending was a nice touch. I thought it was very good.