Rodney Dangerfield Biopic...Would It Work?

Tools    

I'm biased, because although I'm not a huge fan of stand-up comedy, Rodney has always triggered my funny bone. His stuff is cheeky, crass and blatantly scripted without a hint of spontaneity. But to me, he pulls it off superbly, along with his expected "no respect" lines, fidgeting, adjusting his tie, self-degradation, etc. He was killer funny in Caddyshack.

He suffered greatly from depression, went through tumultuous times, but had a very long career in comedy and some movies.

My big concern would be choosing the main character, then his life. Is there enough of it to entertain an audience for the entirety of a film? I'd love to see someone make it work.

Any thoughts?

Yeah dude, you got his early days, his relationship with Carson, the Rappin' Rodney album, the one-two punch of Easy Money and Back to School, and his Simpsons episode as a last hurrah.

Cast Jonah Hill, colour his hair grey and get him a voice coach.

Boom. Biopic.

My big question concerning a biopic, would be choosing the main character, then his life. Is there enough of it to entertain an audience for the entirety of a film? I'd love to see someone make it work.

Any thoughts?
I'd like to see it. But you're right. Picking an actor to play RD accurately would be tough. For one thing his shtick was a caricature of someone. So the actor would have to do a caricature of a caricature. And of course they'd want to focus on the negative stuff.

It could be done, but it would be very, very tricky. There are other comedians from his era and before that might be filmworthy too. But there again, the actor would have to be credible.

The thought of a Rodney Dangerfield biopic wouldn't have occurred to me in a million years, but now that I see it in print, it seems to be a really great idea, but casting would be a bear, don't have a clue who I would cast.

No Respect: The Rodney Dangerfield Story
And there it is!

"You buy a hat like this, I'll bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?"

has anyone seen Brendan Fraser of late? I think we found our actor. It’s about ****** time
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE69E548-A178-49AA-9516-288E2C636C61.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	80282