Oscar's Best Supporting Actress 2021

Tools    

Who will be named Best Supporting Actress?
7.69%
1 votes
Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
30.77%
4 votes
Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
15.38%
2 votes
Olivia Colman, The Father
15.38%
2 votes
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
30.77%
4 votes
Youn Yuh-Jung, Minari
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the five nominees. Who will triumph come Oscar night?

Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
Olivia Colman, The Father
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
Youn Yuh-Jung, Minari
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nope. Close is in the Supporting category and I think she gets it. It won't be for her best work, certainly not her best film, but it will be her turn. Dumb, but that's how it works too often.

Nope. Close is in the Supporting category and I think she gets it. It won't be for her best work, certainly not her best film, but it will be her turn. Dumb, but that's how it works too often.
Whoops, I'll move both these posts to the right thread.

I started watching Hillbilly Elegy but stopped it because it was too dull. Close will probably win it just because she hasn't won it before.

I can't wrap my head around how that girl from the Borat film got a nomination. Like really??

I'd say Seyfried could win it, but let's not ignore the Korean nominee. The Academy might continue its Korean film fetish from last year and hand her the award
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Have only seen two of the nominees, but I agree about Close...I think it's time for her "Lifetime Achievement/Body of Work" Oscar that has been long overdue. If Close wasn't in the category, Seyfried would have probably have been the only major Oscar that Mank would have won.

Just wanted to report that I saw Hillbilly Elegy today which confirmed for me that Close will probably win, even though I haven't seen The Father or Minari yet. Pretty sure the Academy will want to make up for the Oscars she should have won for Fatal Attraction, Dangerous Liaisons, and The Wife.

I loved the actress nominated for Minari, but this is Close's year, I don't think the other nominees even need to bother showing up.

Welcome to the human race...
The idea of the Academy nominating and presumably favouring Close for her work on a critically-reviled film that also has multiple Razzie nominations (including for Close herself) suggests one of two things - that they're doing the same thing they do with Meryl Streep and cluelessly nominating a veteran performer "just because" or that they're actually aiming to have her win for an actively embarrassing performance beyond just some sympathy-vote nonsense. Still reserving final judgment until I see The Father, but I think she's done the worst of the nominees I've seen.

No accounting for taste, I suppose. Would be funny if she did win an Oscar and Razzie for the same role - not sure that's happened before.

That'd be really funny, yeah.

I like the idea of the Razzies in theory, but I think increasingly it's just a pile-on, which is to say the nominees are basically just based on the chattering about which films are bad, or bombs, and it just sort of grows out of that. I doubt Close is really that bad in the film, but everyone's decided it's the Bad Film of the Year (or one of them), so she gets nominated anyway.

I know it's a little silly to expect them to take things seriously, but they're even less serious than they "should" be, I think.

At the very least, I've seen all these films now and I think that the whole idea of Close being the long-overdue legacy win for an eight-time nominee is carrying her to favourite status more than her performance being any good (and having her going up against Colman again makes for an amusing "rematch" narrative). Such is the way of things, I guess.

As for the Razzies, yeah, it's definitely a problem how lazy they can be (a factor that is arguably a symptom of how anyone willing to pay some rather cheap membership dues can vote rather than the more exclusive industry-based collectives that form other voting bodies). Maybe the whole concept of trying to determine a "worst of" thing is flawed from the start (and not just because they nominated The Shining and The Thing in the early years).

Geez, I was thinking the exact opposite...I'm pretty sure the Academy is going to make up for those seven losses by giving her the statuette this time...what I like to call a "Body of Work/Lifetime Achievement" win. In my opinion, Close should already have three Oscars...for Fatal Attraction, Dangerous Liaisons, and The Wife

Well, or they think it's a good performance in a bad film.

Wow, I didn't think Hillbilly Elegy was that bad...I mean both Ron Howard and Close have done better work, but I thought it was pretty good.

At the very least, I've seen all these films now and I think that the whole idea of Close being the long-overdue legacy win for an eight-time nominee is carrying her to favourite status more than her performance being any good (and having her going up against Colman again makes for an amusing "rematch" narrative). Such is the way of things, I guess.

As for the Razzies, yeah, it's definitely a problem how lazy they can be (a factor that is arguably a symptom of how anyone willing to pay some rather cheap membership dues can vote rather than the more exclusive industry-based collectives that form other voting bodies). Maybe the whole concept of trying to determine a "worst of" thing is flawed from the start (and not just because they nominated The Shining and The Thing in the early years).
I thought Seyfried was excellent in Mank and I LOVED the grandma in Minari