Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Murder Among the Mormons (2021)

[this was posted in the "documentaries" thread, but I don't think many see it]

This is a fascinating 3 part documentary about the bombings and murders of members of Salt Lake City's Mormon Church in 1985. The documents and circumstances that lead up to the killings shakes the origin of the Mormon religion to its core.

The documentary is aided by vintage footage of the era and its participants, and contemporary interviews of those involved. Very nice production design and photography. 7/10 from me. Available on Netflix and various streaming services.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
I think I may have been spoiled by (my favorite rendition) Charles Laughton's portrayal from the 1939 classic.

Or perhaps it was the overly theatrical performances of everyone, including Lon Chaney, who IS a master at what he accomplished in so many other films, but I did find myself drifting in and out of, what should have been quite an excellent film experience.
From my very limited knowledge of Victor Hugo's classic tale, Notre Dame de Paris, I do know that it was the church itself that was the focal point of the story and that it could very well be that Chaney's volatile Quasimodo is a closer presentation of Hugo's writings.
Perhaps another future viewing will express a greater appreciation.

Boss Level (2021)
+++ /Popcorn Munching rating:
Using my younger brother's description of "a twisted Groundhog Day," this very funny, action film of the video game style sub genre, cleverly hits all the necessary gambits for all out amusement and complete entertainment. While still having a little bit of heart at the core of its story, of a man who has continually woken up for the past hundred or so days, reliving the same day where he's eventually killed (in some pretty amusing, colorful ways). With no idea WHY.
A basic story that is done very well with a very satisfying ending.
A Must See for action enthusiast who enjoy this sub genre.

Victim of The Night
Nope, I'm still all about it.
Well, I may have mental problems.
Frankly, I'm getting up there, I may have had a stroke too.

Victim of The Night
I think in terms of screentime, either role could be considered the lead but Kaluuya's performance is the standout performance and I don't really see both of them being nominated. Kaluuya has already won the Golden Globe and the Critic's Choice.
But as supporting actor right?

Greenland (2020)

I really haven't been watching many mainstream movies lately so this is hard to rate and compare. I am a sucker for disaster movies as they give me as close to what I'd call a scare as anything. My wife and I enjoyed it from start to finish, and that's about all you can ask for.
reminds me of 2012 kinda

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Damned aka Les maudits (1947)
++ Directed by René Clément, set in the final days of WWII, a U Boat full of Nazis Sympathizers are making a run for it from France to South America.
A taut thriller that, while the beginning is a little weighed down as everyone is introduced, Clément does get things going with some very solid cinematography regarding the claustrophobic quarters that grow even more so as alliances begin to crumble and disintegrate.
Not entirely an amazing film, but definitely one worth checking out.

News of the World (2020)

Enjoyable story of an ex-Captain in the Confederate army now making his money going town to town to "read the news" to the townsfolk with a little bit of stageplay thrown in. Nice and languid pace which I think really suited the setting and story.

Had never heard of it before today!

The World to Come (2020)

This was Okay, they performances were restrained (especially by Affleck and Abbott) but the story of 2 women (apparently mal-treated, though I did not see this in Abigails case) falling in love and being inspired was well done. Could have done without the constant episodic diary voiceover though!

[rating2.5][/rating]

Marnie (1964, Alfred Hitchcock)

I have to say this is probably one of my least favorite Hitchcock films I've seen thus far. The first minutes were promising (that opening shot was sooo classy) but then the plot began to unfold in the most tedious, unsatisfying and rather predictable way. There were moments in the film that I thought were downright badly executed, or just odd/lacking believability. There wasn't enough compelling mystery or suspense, and the overarching psychological subtext came off a bit contrived and annoying (didn't like this aspect of Spellbound either - or, rather, the execution of it).

++ Directed by René Clément, set in the final days of WWII, a U Boat full of Nazis Sympathizers are making a run for it from France to South America.
A taut thriller that, while the beginning is a little weighed down as everyone is introduced, Clément does get things going with some very solid cinematography regarding the claustrophobic quarters that grow even more so as alliances begin to crumble and disintegrate.
I got that one saved to watch as I've been checking out mid 20th century submarine movies. Glad to hear it's serviceable.

Love submarine films, so added to watchlist.

Judas and the Black Messiah 8/10 one of the better movies from a rather bad year

Palm Springs 7/10 a fun movie

Minari 5/10 ok but a little overrated

The Straight Story 8/10 a beautiful movie with lovable characters and just so heartwarming

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Contagion (2011)

I've no idea how this would have worked as a movie in 2011 because the main interest in watching it now was almost entirely based on seeing how almost scarily accurate it was in its portrayal of a pandemic. I particularly the development of the plotline with Jude Law as the conspiracy theorist/ purveyor of the fake cure. I also liked how there were a lot of famous actors in it, but unlike the films where you know the most famous people will survive to the end, this film clinically killed them off and peeled open their skulls right from the start.