A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I'm not so committed to the "Bone Tomahawk is racist narrative" that I can't see why some might absolve it of this particular sin. I absolve lots of things that I know might be on shakey ground and there is at least some shaky ground in Bone Tomahawk. But I definitely think its potential for perpetuating racial tropes about the primitive savagery of natives is pretty necessary to call out, or acknowledge, even if we don't want to completely brand it as being racist.

As mentioned above, The Searchers also has some good reasons to be challenged, even if my particular take is that it is probably a significantly more woke Western than most that came before it. It at least packages most of its negativity into one particular character, and leaves him wandering off into the desert, a relic of the past, by the end of the film. It's at least self aware of its possible racism, unlike BT, which tries to pardon itself before it even begins.

Ultimately, Bone Tomahawk being a ****ing terrible movie, was more than I needed to dismiss it. Because it's terrible. Really terrible.

I'm not so committed to the "Bone Tomahawk is racist narrative" that I can't see why some might absolve it of this particular sin. I absolve lots of things that I know might be on shakey ground and there is at least some shaky ground in Bone Tomahawk. But I definitely think its potential for perpetuating racial tropes about the primitive savagery of natives is pretty necessary to call out, or acknowledge, even if we don't want to completely brand it as being racist.

As mentioned above, The Searchers also has some good reasons to be challenged, even if my particular take is that it is probably a significantly more woke Western than most that came before it. It at least packages most of its negativity into one particular character, and leaves him wandering off into the desert, a relic of the past, by the end of the film. It's at least self aware of its possible racism, unlike BT, which tries to pardon itself before it even begins.

Ultimately, Bone Tomahawk being a ****ing terrible movie, was more than I needed to dismiss it. Because it's terrible. Really terrible.
I agree with a lot of this. Those I impulsively rewatched BT and bumped it up to a tentative “highly flawed but okay.”

I think Dragged Across Concrete is Zahler’s best film by a good margin and it’s still rife with filmmaking issues before we even get to any questionable politics forced into it.

I haven’t rewatched Brawl in Cell Block 99 but I’m convinced I’ll still find it fairly terrible.

I agree with this. Those I impulsively rewatched BT and bumped it up to a tentative “highly flawed but okay.”

I think Dragged Across Concrete is Zahler’s best film by a good margin and it’s still rife with filmmaking issues before we even get to any questionable politics forced into it.

I haven’t rewatched Brawl in Cell Block 99 but I’m convinced I’ll still find it fairly terrible.

There is nothing about BT that would make me seek out any of Zahler's other films. Maybe he gets better, but as it stands, I don't care where he is going. It's irrelevant to everything that might matter to me as an audience member. I hated Bone Tomahawk on almost every level.

The trick is not minding
Oh god. Bone Tomahawk. I remember destroying that in a review I did for it last year.
*shudders*

I keep hearing Concrete is far better, but I just haven’t gotten around to giving it a chance yet. I’m not in any rush to, either.

Watched a bit of ultraviolence from Japan the other night. First up was Versus which I really enjoyed. It clearly wasn't taking itself to seriously and while obviously low budget it had some good gore effects and a manic energy that reminded me of Evil Dead 2 at times. There are also some seriously good comedic timing going on in a couple scenes. Some of the editing was a bit jumpy and the choreography of the fights ranged from damn good to meh but all in all it knew what it wanted to do and executed that well enough that I had a blast watching it.

Next was Ichi the Killer and I'd say I had the opposite reaction as I was mostly just bored by the end of it. Ichi seemed to really want to be shocking but the more horrible things it threw on screen the more it just all bled together, pun intended. It doesn't help that I just really didn't see what the story was actually going for with any of the characters, it seemed like it was trying to be a serious film but so much of the over the top violence just felt silly next to that content but yet it never actually got crazy enough to be fun or funny. I have no problem with gore if it feels like it's not the only reason the film exists but that's really the impression that Ichi left me with.

Awesome dude I’ll check it out. And I never left. I check this place a few times a day, even if I don’t always post.
I knew you had the habit of going a while in-between posts sometimes, even when we were still on the Corrie, but I guess I got nervous that maybe you'd stopped for good, since so many others have over time. At any rate, thanks for checking out my write-up, and if you're interested in watching a really good Die Hard-related vid, the "Really That Good" for it is, um, really that good:

Next was Ichi the Killer and I'd say I had the opposite reaction as I was mostly just bored by the end of it. Ichi seemed to really want to be shocking but the more horrible things it threw on screen the more it just all bled together, pun intended. It doesn't help that I just really didn't see what the story was actually going for with any of the characters, it seemed like it was trying to be a serious film but so much of the over the top violence just felt silly next to that content but yet it never actually got crazy enough to be fun or funny. I have no problem with gore if it feels like it's not the only reason the film exists but that's really the impression that Ichi left me with.
This was very much my reaction. The balance between intense violence/sexual violence, dark comedy, and cartoonish sequences never quite felt right. There's an interesting premise in there somewhere, but it all comes out very muddled. Frankly I expected something a bit better from its reputation.

This was very much my reaction. The balance between intense violence/sexual violence, dark comedy, and cartoonish sequences never quite felt right. There's an interesting premise in there somewhere, but it all comes out very muddled. Frankly I expected something a bit better from its reputation.
Miike's films often "don't feel right". I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate effort on his part. For better or worse, it's his style. Of course, with such a huge catalog he's done different kinds of films, but it's that (predictably) unpredictable chaos he's mostly known for (I think).

And yeah, I also found Ichi rather mediocre. I don't know if I've really loved any of his films.

Victim of The Night
@Wooley
I'm trying to find your Scars of Dracula write-up with no luck. Was that on Corrie? (I'm in the middle of a Hammer Dracula marathon)
That was Corri, sadly.
Scars was pretty bad.

That was Corri, sadly.
Scars was pretty bad.
I just got the BluRay and had to laugh when I noticed they used that cruddy poster art for the cover. Made me think of your review.

I didn't hate it, but yeah it's not A-list that's for sure. Hard to believe that two years after 2001, sfx guys still couldn't figure out how to do the fake bat thing. Or how to make Christopher Lee's fake knife not flop around while he's stabbing somebody. Also, why is Dracula stabbing somebody??

Sounds like it compares unfavorably to The Living Corpse, where Dracula drives a car.

Miike's films often "don't feel right". I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate effort on his part. For better or worse, it's his style. Of course, with such a huge catalog he's done different kinds of films, but it's that (predictably) unpredictable chaos he's mostly known for (I think).

And yeah, I also found Ichi rather mediocre. I don't know if I've really loved any of his films.
I have enjoyed Miike's "jumble of tones" in other films--like Blade of the Immortal for example. But in Ichi there was a lack of flow and the film felt about 30 minutes too long.

For the record, I do like the movie. Always interesting to see a Dracula movie from a part of the world not known for Dracula movies, and it checks the Dracula boxes well enough.

For the record, I do like the movie. Always interesting to see a Dracula movie from a part of the world not known for Dracula movies, and it checks the Dracula boxes well enough.
Im not familiar with it. Just found one with the alternate title "Dracula in Pakistan". Is that the one?

Im not familiar with it. Just found one with the alternate title "Dracula in Pakistan". Is that the one?
Yeah that's it. Has a decent DVD release from Mondo Macabro.

Victim of The Night
I just got the BluRay and had to laugh when I noticed they used that cruddy poster art for the cover. Made me think of your review.

I didn't hate it, but yeah it's not A-list that's for sure. Hard to believe that two years after 2001, sfx guys still couldn't figure out how to do the fake bat thing. Or how to make Christopher Lee's fake knife not flop around while he's stabbing somebody. Also, why is Dracula stabbing somebody??
Yeah, it's a tough one.
Honestly, I felt like there was a drop-off after Risen From The Grave but Scars is the worst I have revisited (since my youth).
I thought AD 1972 was actually significantly better than this one. And that was no masterpiece.

I thought AD 1972 was actually significantly better than this one. And that was no masterpiece.
Adding Peter Cushing is always a good move.

Watching the final movie Wednesday night, after which I'll post a recap. This is the first time I've watched all of them in sequence.

I LOVE the Searchers. It may be my favorite classic western and it’s certainly my favorite from John Ford.

I think it walks the line between being about prejudice and racism while still falling into the contemporary pitfalls of the genre. It, along with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, are the closest to revisionist western Ford ever came and wrestling with the myth of the American West he helped cement.

I don’t think it’s inappropriate to have a Native American antagonist in the western, and retaliatory raids did happen on families that had nothing to do with the motivating incident (terror tactics are long since a part of American history) but such an attempt gets a little crossed when that villain is played by a white man in red face and the good hearted “half breed” is played by a fully white guy. There’s also not a great deal of irony in the ethnocentrism on display for the romanticized civilizing European culture, with other native cultures that aren’t villainous being played for laughs.

That said, it is considerably more complex than many of its contemporaries (only Devil’s Doorway really seems to compare) and the level of filmmaking, character building and performances are among the finest in the genre.

It may not be Unforgiven but if I were making a list, there wouldn’t be a whole lot between them.
It's not 100% inappropriate to have a Native American villain in a Western, but it's obviously an aspect that doesn't age the best due to the historical portrayals of Natives in Hollywood, and like you said, the film does send some muddled messages on that front, like when
WARNING: spoilers below
Martin randomly speculates that his "wife" might have been waiting to spring a trap for them with the rest of the Comanches when they find her body in their camp, an assumption that makes little sense given the context, and undermines the sympathy we might've felt for her and her senseless death.
Still a good movie despite all of that, but like I said, there are some mixed messages on its racial front.
I tend to be very skeptical of creators who indulge in negative stereotypes about a certain group, especially if across their other work there is no positive (or even neutral) representation of that same group.
I agree, although I tend to stay skeptical of the director's intentions even if there are positive representations within the same film as the stereotype, due to the possibility of the former being used as a cover for the latter; it's why, in addition to Martin Scorsese's existing track record in portraying Black men onscreen, I'm also skeptical of the director's awareness (or lack of) of the way that the portrayal of "Stacks" in Goodfellas reinforced stereotypes in that film, despite its status otherwise as one of my favorite films, and the conspicuous presence of Isiah Whitlock's particularly helpful doctor in it (although there's more to my point that just that, which I can go into more detail later if anyone's curious). It's not entirely different from the skepticism I hold towards the racism in Tarantino's films because of his track record, like I mentioned in the Crocodile Dundee thread, regardless of if that racism is period-"appropriate".