The Phantom of the Opera

Tools    

Well, finally after this project being up in the air since 1990, it seems Andrew Lloyd Webber is going to turn his broadway music onto the silver screen. Now heres a little ten year history in less than a paragraph.

Well way back before I was born in 1984. Mr. Webber read 'The Pahntom of the Opera' by some dead guy and said to his production company The Really Useful Group. "Hey chums this looks fun, let's make it into a broadway musical that will touch the hearts of tons". Ok so they did, it started off with his (then) wife sarah Brightman as Christine and MICHEAL CRAWFORD as Phantom (hereby reffered to as Erik). So that went great, exceeded expectations, I unfortunately never saw it, my Mom saw it in LA though when she was preggers with me though so I guess it counts for something. Ok in 1990 they were going to make it, but due to problems concerning the production company Warner Brothers and Webbbers and Brightmans divorce, they didn't. And now they are going to.

Nows here the jist: Joel Schumacher is the director. Really Useful Company is producing it along with Warner brothers (I always gets mixed up with who does what)

Announced Cast (so far)
Gread Butler: Erik

Emmy Rossum: Christine

Alan Cumming: umm...i don't know

Minnie Driver: Carlotta

Patrick Wilson: Rauol

Anywho, I am really foggy on the details, it's supposed to be released in late 2004. but who knows.

well, my tricky google searching payed off and I found something fun. theres this webstie www.phantommovie.com that was trying to get Micheal Crawford in the role, and they have excerpts from the script as it was in 1990, of course now there have been made changes, but it just might give us an idea what the film may be like.

http://www.phantommovie.com/script1.htm

The only promblem is that when they did "Les Misable' it was good but it was not a musical!If they could make a movie like "Chargo" then they can do this into a muscal!
Well I am crossing my fingers that they do this into a muscal and not mess up like they did to Les MIsable which to me was a great disapointment on my part!
Well anyway I just hope it goes through because that would be wonderful!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
The only promblem is that when they did "Les Misable' it was good but it was not a musical!If they could make a movie like "Chargo" then they can do this into a muscal!
Well I am crossing my fingers that they do this into a muscal and not mess up like they did to Les MIsable which to me was a great disapointment on my part!
Well anyway I just hope it goes through because that would be wonderful!See you around!JM
yes they are doing this as a musical, supposedly Webber is re-writing a few songs to make them more fit for film and then adding some others. Personally i hope they don't change "Music of the Night", but then again it just won't be the same without Crawford singing it.

OK the release date for this is lated for December 24, 2004, so I am sort of guessing the trailer coming out in August and a teaser in late June or even August if they plan for a late release of the trailer. It depends, I always find trailers so isscecntly annoying since they all vary in release.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

I have mixed feelings about this, I've been listening to clips and the actors voices aren't anythign too special. Anyways, heres a link to the official website: http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/

I am very dissapointed with Phantom and Christine's voice

Lets put a smile on that block
Im not dissapointed...yet. I wasnt that thrilled when i heard they were giong to do a film. Ive seen the West End theatrical version and its one of my favourites, but i thought a film might ruin it. but since ive seen the trailer, oooh it makes my nipples a little hard. It looks so good. Mind you the reviews have not been too promising of yet. Although i havnt been disspoainted that much from the voices ive heard so far, but im definatly still seeing this on the big screen

My life isn't written very well.
Saw the San Francisco production of this musical and it was awesome! Please head to your local cineplex when it's released and find yourself taken as I did by the Music of the Night! It will be great, trust me; you'll buy the soundtrack!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Your right R66, the music is amazing.That music in the trailer when the chandelier rises up, gives me gooseybumps!

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Saw the San Francisco production of this musical and it was awesome! Please head to your local cineplex when it's released and find yourself taken as I did by the Music of the Night! It will be great, trust me; you'll buy the soundtrack!
The musical soundtrack is wonderful, Music of the Night is one of my favorites, I am just not feeling the voices. They're fine, but I am just not hearing anything AMAZING.

I saw The Phantom of The Opera when I was in grade 7 with my class. So that was in....1992. I wasn't into it much back then, but I would like to see it now that I am older and can appreciate theatre/musicals. I saw a really old version on TV years ago but never got the urge to rent it and watch it all the way through. I for one am looking forward to this release.

Say what again mother f**ker!
I can't count how many remakes have been coming out. Can't someone come up with their own idea?

Originally Posted by Mophead
I can't count how many remakes have been coming out. Can't someone come up with their own idea?
I am not sure you can put this in the catergory of nay other remake. Yes The Phantom of the Opera has been made into a film twice before, but this is the adaptation of the musical. I consider the music to be at times ingenious and highly original.

May The Forks be With Us
it looks scary........
actually it looks kinda boring but im still going to check it out. I saw a very long preview for it before we saw Alexander. Trailer looked great, Alexander wasn't so great though.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Originally Posted by HellboyUnleashed
it looks scary........
actually it looks kinda boring but im still going to check it out. I saw a very long preview for it before we saw Alexander. Trailer looked great, Alexander wasn't so great though.
It's a very interesting story, and a musical classic as far as any Broadway enthusist I've met is concerned.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I've long been a fan of the music from the Broadway show, but have never seen it. I am happy that they're making a film version, as this is a story that I think people should be able to see for $8, rather than $40. I hope they don't muck it up.

Say what again mother f**ker!
Originally Posted by allthatglitters
I am not sure you can put this in the catergory of nay other remake. Yes The Phantom of the Opera has been made into a film twice before, but this is the adaptation of the musical. I consider the music to be at times ingenious and highly original.
Still is it their original idea? No!

I am talking about it being original in the sense that Andrew Lloyd Webbers' stage version and movie version are the only musical adaptations. The music, not to mention some of my most favorite show tunes are incredible. Juts becuase something has already been done before, doesn't mean it can't be original; everybody has their own unique twist, that's one of the things that can make musical adaptations so much fun.

EDIT: I am not sure if your a fan of musicals, but here's a list of a few as you would so call un-original musicals that are viewed as classics.

Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat (taken from the Bible)
Cats (based off some of T.S Eliots poems)
Les Miserables (based off the book)
and many, many, many more. . .

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I've long been a fan of the music from the Broadway show, but have never seen it. I am happy that they're making a film version, as this is a story that I think people should be able to see for $8, rather than $40. I hope they don't muck it up.
same here...we own the soundtrack, but i have yet to see this version..looking forward to it finally

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
$40? , I spent $85 to see it in 1992. (or should I say my parents did) Oh wait, you are in the States, that'd explain it.

I cant believe how many poeple here have seen Phantom. Its compulsery (sp?) Broadway/West End viewing. Oh the ending is so sad. The rose....THE ROSE!