Help me with Foreign (Non-English) Movie Recommendations

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
I was gonna recommend you Kaya and An Event, but it looks like Anno Domini 1573 is more up your alley
I also recommend Ivan Vasiliyevich Changes Professions, Allegro non Troppo, Alexander Nevsky, The Return, Siberiade, Assa, H-8..., and A Wonderful Night in Split. All of those, barring the last one, are available on Youtube with subtitles.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
You might have seen Plein Soleil (Purple Noon) because it was in a hall of fame once, but if not I recommend it. It's sort of a thriller/suspense/drama, based on the book The Talented Mr Ripley. It's a good looking film and I'm pretty sure it's PG.

I recently watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and it has become a new favourite. It is a period drama romance, very atmospheric and lots of bits without talking.

Still Walking and Departures - both deal with death but in a reflective sort of way. Still Walking is about a family coming together who are still grieving the death of a son who died many years ago, Departures is about a cellist who becomes an undertaker's assistant which is sort of funny and sentimental at the same time.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read through it when I get a chance, but I'm sure that I'll find a few movies on there to watch.

The Legend of the Golden Pearl (1987) is very good adventure movie with leitmotive of golden pearl.

I've never heard of this movie, but it sounds like it might be a fun adventure. Thanks for the rec.

Yes. This is the perfect suggestion I think.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Google translated this to In a Glass Cage. If this is the movie with the guy in the iron lung, I watched it for a HoF a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, I don't think I liked it. Maybe I'll give it another chance anyway.

Lots of anime films have good English dubs, so check those out if you want.
I've seen a few anime movies, (mostly dubbed), and I have several of them on DVD that I haven't watched yet, so I'm going to try to watch some of these movies.

-A Silent Voice. Warning, it's a real tearjerker!
Some of my favorite movies are tearjerkers, so I'm looking forward to watching this movie. Thanks.

-"Jolly Fellows" by Grigori Aleksandrov
-"Le Million" by René Clair
-"Zouzou" by Marc Allégret
-Allegro non Troppo
-Jaques Tati, lots of slapstick and not many subtitles.
-Spoorloos: Very disturbing but not remotely graphic.
-Icarus XB 1
-La Jetée (There's a good English dub from what I remember)
-Run Lola Run
I have Run Lola Run on DVD, but I haven't watched it yet. I guess this countdown will finally give me the push I need to watch it.

I've seen Allegro non Troppo and La Jetée, but I haven't heard of most of the others, so I'll check them out. Thanks.

Considering that you liked Le Samourai, I'm sure you'll like some of Melville's other films.
Considering that you liked Spirited Away, you'll LOVE Kiki's Delivery Service
I also see lots of people in the thread recommending Bergman, but I don't know if you'd like him. If you want to check him out, I'd recommend starting with The Magic Flute
I watched Kiki's Delivery Service recently for a HoF and I liked it.

I'll check out some of Melville's other films, and Bergman's The Magic Flute. Thanks.

I was gonna recommend you Kaya and An Event, but it looks like Anno Domini 1573 is more up your alley
I also recommend Ivan Vasiliyevich Changes Professions, Allegro non Troppo, Alexander Nevsky, The Return, Siberiade, Assa, H-8..., and A Wonderful Night in Split. All of those, barring the last one, are available on Youtube with subtitles.

With the exception of Allegro non Troppo, I haven't heard of any of these, but I'll check them out. Since they're available on YouTube with subtitles, they should be easy to find.

I'm not sure, but I think I watched a foreign movie called The Return for one of the HoFs here a few years ago. I think it had something to do with 2 brothers and their father, but it's been a while, so I don't remember much more about it. If that's the movie that you're recommending, I vaguely remember liking it, so it will be nice to watch it again.

Thanks for the recs.

You might have seen Plein Soleil (Purple Noon) because it was in a hall of fame once, but if not I recommend it. It's sort of a thriller/suspense/drama, based on the book The Talented Mr Ripley. It's a good looking film and I'm pretty sure it's PG.
Yes, I watched Plein Soleil (Purple Noon) for a HoF here a few years ago, and I liked it. It's already on my list to rewatch it. (But surprisingly, I still haven't seen the movie The Talented Mr Ripley.)

I recently watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire and it has become a new favourite. It is a period drama romance, very atmospheric and lots of bits without talking.
I'm hit or miss with period dramas, but I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Still Walking and Departures - both deal with death but in a reflective sort of way. Still Walking is about a family coming together who are still grieving the death of a son who died many years ago, Departures is about a cellist who becomes an undertaker's assistant which is sort of funny and sentimental at the same time.
These two movies sound like they could be my kind of movies, so I'm looking forward to watching them.

Thanks for the recs.

Of Jacques Demy, my suggestion is try The Umbrellas of Cherbourg first, then go on to his other films. The man's a pure romantic. I think you'll like him.

(*Sorry for double-post, just got caught up in other things before I could detail my response.)

*Edit:

I also concur with the Jacques Tati recommendation too.

Of Jacques Demy, my suggestion is try The Umbrellas of Cherbourg first, then go on to his other films. The man's a pure romantic. I think you'll like him.

(*Sorry for double-post, just got caught up in other things before I could detail my response.)

I've seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is very likely to make my list, but The Young Girls of Rochefort might just miss it.

I'm hoping to watch a few more of Jacques Demy's movies that might make my list.

Thanks for the recs.

Google translated this to In a Glass Cage. If this is the movie with the guy in the iron lung, I watched it for a HoF a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, I don't think I liked it. Maybe I'll give it another chance anyway.
That's the film, and I'm pretty sure raul was trolling. I don't see it as your kind of film, and I'm actually positively surprised that your opinion is just "I don't think I liked it" considering the ruckus it's caused in a current HoF I nominated it for.

So yeah, it's a great film and will definitely be on my ballot, but I doubt you'd like it that much.

That's the film, and I'm pretty sure raul was trolling. I don't see it as your kind of film, and I'm actually positively surprised that your opinion is just "I don't think I liked it" considering the ruckus it's caused in a current HoF I nominated it for.

So yeah, it's a great film and will definitely be on my ballot, but I doubt you'd like it that much.

I didn't read much about it in the recent HoF because I didn't rewatch it. I watched it for an earlier HoF, but that was a few years ago, so I don't remember much about it.

From what I remember, I didn't think it was my type of movie, but I was willing to give it another chance because it was recommended by someone who I thought I could trust. (Maybe he should have added an appropriate emoji so I knew that it wasn't a "real" recommendation.)

Thanks for your help.

I think you'll find, (as I have), that the best international films seem to influence other films or are part of a movement/have some historical and aesthetic value. Most international films are in competition with a "First Cinema/American" product which has been an age-old battle since post-WWI. So "Second Cinema" is very "aesthetically driven" and "innovative" where as the other "Third Cinema" is highly political. An example is Wings of Desire, which on it's own is a beautiful piece of cinema, (which apparently you've seen and enjoyed.) But if you know the history of the German New Wave post-WWII and some of it's directors like Fassbinder and Herzog and Wenders himself, it really opens up the experience and makes it that much more interesting. Hopefully this helps you in your viewings too.

I think you'll find, (as I have), that the best international films seem to influence other films or are part of a movement/have some historical and aesthetic value. Most international films are in competition with a "First Cinema/American" product which has been an age-old battle since post-WWI. So "Second Cinema" is very "aesthetically driven" and "innovative" where as the other "Third Cinema" is highly political. An example is Wings of Desire, which on it's own is a beautiful piece of cinema, (which apparently you've seen and enjoyed.) But if you know the history of the German New Wave post-WWII and some of it's directors like Fassbinder and Herzog and Wenders himself, it really opens up the experience and makes it that much more interesting. Hopefully this helps you in your viewings too.

Thanks for the information. History was never one of my best subjects, but hopefully it will help.

I watched Cinema Paradiso (1988) earlier today.

It took me a little while to get into his movie because at first, I didn't realize that Toto (the young boy) was the same person as Salvatore (the adult at the beginning). Once I realized that the movie was a flashback to his childhood, it made more sense, and everything started to fall into place.

Through most of the movie, I liked it, but I didn't love it the way I thought I should based on what I've read about it, (which wasn't much, except that it's a movie that all movie lovers should watch). I loved the way the relationship grew between Toto and Alfredo, and while Toto seemed like a bratty little kid at first, for some reason, he was always lovable. I loved the way Salvatore kept trying to win Elena's heart, but he had trouble talking to her. I really wanted to see them end up together.

I was fully immersed in this movie from the start, but for some reason, I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to. But that changed by the end of the movie.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about the ENDING of "Cinema Paradiso"!!!" spoilers below
When I saw the adult Salvatore tearing up while watching all the films clips of the cut scenes that Alfredo spliced together for him, everything just suddenly fell into place, and I fell in love with the movie. It was like someone just flipped a switch in my brain, and all of a sudden the whole movie made sense, and I loved it.

I watched the original (2 hr. 4 min.) version. Since I liked this version, is it worth my time to also watch the longer version?

I didn't read much about it in the recent HoF because I didn't rewatch it. I watched it for an earlier HoF, but that was a few years ago, so I don't remember much about it.

From what I remember, I didn't think it was my type of movie, but I was willing to give it another chance because it was recommended by someone who I thought I could trust. (Maybe he should have added an appropriate emoji so I knew that it wasn't a "real" recommendation.)

Thanks for your help.
As far as I know In A Glass Cage was never nominated in an HoF before the current one. But maybe I missed it..Do you know which previous HoF was it in? It's extremely violent so I'm guessing if you watched it you'd remember it

As far as I know In A Glass Cage was never nominated in an HoF before the current one. But maybe I missed it..Do you know which previous HoF was it in? It's extremely violent so I'm guessing if you watched it you'd remember it

Maybe it wasn't in a HoF. It might have been nominated in a movie tournament. I know that I watched a bunch of movies for a movie tournament a while back because I couldn't vote in some matches without watching both movies that were against each other.

I rarely watch foreign movies without a reason, so I doubt I watched it just because it was on TCM.

Although with my (bad) memory, I could be mixing it up with a different movie, but I don't think so. Either way, it doesn't sound like my kind of movie, so I'm going to pass on watching it.