Versatile Male Actors of Today

Tools    

Allow me to apologize in advance for using dreaded gender specific verbiage. But for now, I'm narrowing this search down to who you believe are the two most versatile male actors today. Actors who have the ability to be masterful in practically any role...majorly diverse and show remarkably stark contrasts between characters portrayed. I've referred to them as artistic geniuses.

My list of what I consider great actors is fairly extensive. Some are somewhat typecast, and play their characters flawlessly, but do not have the range of others.

These are my choices. What say you?

Gary Oldman

Daniel Day Lewis

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Allow me to apologize in advance for using dreaded gender specific verbiage. But for now, I'm narrowing this search down to who you believe are the two most versatile male actors today. Actors who have the ability to be masterful in practically any role...majorly diverse and show remarkably stark contrasts between characters portrayed. I've referred to them as artistic geniuses.

The first person who came to mind was Hugh Jackman. It's hard to believe that these two roles are portrayed by the same actor:

For me, Johnny Depp is the most versatile Hollywood actor. I have watched all of his movies and loved his acting in each of them.

I thought this was a nice change of pace for him. Enjoyed his performance in Murder on the Orient Express. The Jack Sparrow look has gotten long in the tooth, and the Tonto make up was ridiculous.

The first person who came to mind was Hugh Jackman. It's hard to believe that these two roles are portrayed by the same actor:

Amazing contrast! Nice choice.

For me, Johnny Depp is the most versatile Hollywood actor. I have watched all of his movies and loved his acting in each of them.

From the character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape to Pirates of The Caribbean...quite the amazing change-up!

Hugh Jackman is not the first name that comes to mind when the word versatility comes up, but if you look at his resume, the guy is seriously versatile...I remember being amazed when I saw him play Curly in that London revival of Oklahoma!...I couldn't believe it. Look at that and then look at Wolverine or the crazed father looking for his missing daughter in Prisoners...seriously versatile.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Courtney Gains is another. An 80's stalwart who still continues today...

From the character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape to Pirates of The Caribbean...quite the amazing change-up!
Agreed. I would say hands down Johnny Depp is the most versatile actor. The man is a chameleon and could play virtually role.

His portrayal of Hunter S. Thompson was extremely accurate. And list goes on and on of one great performance after another.

Honorable mentions to Gary Oldman and Day-Lewis, but Depp is # 1.

My two faves are of the supporting kind.

Sam Rockwell (The Green Mile, Galaxy Quest, Moon, Richard Jewell, Matchstick Men)

Vincent D'Onofrio (Men in Black, Ed Wood, Full Metal Jacket, JFK)

There are two actors who will cause me to see any movie that they're in because of their talent and versatility: Mark Rylance and Ben Kingsley.

I started following Mark Rylance after catching him as Thomas Cromwell in the Brit series Wolf Hall (2015). His charisma was mesmerizing. I also liked him in The BFG, Dunkirk, Ready Player One, and several others. He has a high affinity for regional accents.

Ben Kingsley has been on top for many years, certainly since Gandhi. His eclectic work is numerous and familiar to many. One of the funniest bits I've ever seen is his comedy pleading mea culpa in Ironman 3 (2013).

I'm always impressed by John Hawkes' ability to inhabit his roles. I first became aware of him in Winter's Bone (2013) as "Teardrop Dolly", a hillbilly meth addict. I've enjoyed him in every roll since, even when the movies themselves have been stinkers.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hawkes_(actor)