My 30 Favorite 80's Movies

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#19.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Cast: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara
Genre: Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 43 Minutes
Rated PG-13

This fun movie brings us on a great adventure about a high school slacker playing hooky from school. Also bringing his two friends along to join in on the fun and outsmarting the principal at school while he tries to catch Ferris in the act of playing hokey. Imo, I think Matthew Broderick did a great job with his role as Ferris.

“Life Moves Pretty Fast. If You Don’t Stop And Look Around Once In A While, You Could Miss It.” - Ferris Bueller played by Matthew Broderick

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a good movie, but it's never been one of my favorites. It's one of those movies that I can watch every once in a while, but I never really go looking for it.

#18.

Sixteen Candles (1984)
Cast: Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Justin Henry
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 33 Minutes
Rated PG

You got to love those 80's high school movies out there like this one and Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall did a good job at their roles in this movie. For a movie that is PG and more on the romance side, it was an interesting one and showing that it can have some fun while not afraid to offend it's audience and yes her parents forgot her f*cking birthday, what else is new.

"I can't believe this, they f*cking forgot my birthday." - Samantha played by Molly Ringwald

Sixteen Candles is another movie that I enjoy watching, but I never really have a desire to go looking for it.

#17.

Heathers (1989)
Director: Michael Lehmann
Writer: Daniel Waters
Cast: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Shannen Doherty
Genre: Comedy and Crime
Rated R

This was a cool and silly revenge high school film and Winona Ryder and Christian Slater made this movie a fun movie to watch. The film sure throws a nice dark comedy vibe to it as we see the mean kids in school getting killed in what it seems to be tragic teen suicide but really getting killed on purpose and deserving it too.

“Lick it up, baby. Lick it up.” - Veronica played by Winona Ryder

I loved Christian Slater in Heathers. He made the movie so much fun to watch.

#16.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
Director: Steve Rash
Writer: Michael Swerdlick
Cast: Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Courtney Gains
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 34 Minutes
Rated PG-13

A good high school movie that sends out a great message on what happens when trying to get yourself into the cool crowd to earn some reputation and wanting to fit in with them but of course things don't always work out that way. It's always important to be yourself and never turn on the people that share a good friendship with you. The storyline was enjoyable and a fun movie to watch.

"Nerds, jocks. My side, your side. It's all bullsh*t. It's hard enough just trying to be yourself." - Ronald Miller played by Patrick Dempsey

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#15.

Pretty in Pink (1986)
Director: Howard Deutch
Cast: Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton
Runtime: 1 Hour and 37 Minutes
Rated PG 13

The story to this movie was interesting and something new to me while watching these high school movies from the 80s and it shows you it doesn't matter if the person you love is poor or rich, what should really matter the most is you love that person very much and not giving a sh*t on what anyone else says.

"You know, it's so insane that someone you've never met, never talked to can be your enemy." - Andie played by Molly Ringwald

I don't think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a children's movie. I think children can watch it, and they'll think it's funny, but they'll miss a lot of the jokes that most adults will really appreciate.

It's one of my all-time favorite movies.
I think I just said children's movie because it has toons in it and it's rated PG, I could of just said it was a classic animated movie or tale

Saw this for the first time a few months ago...really enjoyed it.
I had mixed feelings about this movie when I first saw it when I saw it again to rewatch it while doing my 20 favorite high school movies, I started to actually like it more. Watched it recently for the 3rd time for the my 80s countdown list and was glad that I put this movie on the list

I loved Christian Slater in Heathers. He made the movie so much fun to watch.
I think he was a good choice for this kind of movie, the guy had the look of someone that you wouldn't want to fk with in high school.

#16.

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
Director: Steve Rash
Writer: Michael Swerdlick
Cast: Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson, Courtney Gains
Runtime: 1 Hour and 34 Minutes
Rated PG-13

A good high school movie that sends out a great message on what happens when trying to get yourself into the cool crowd to earn some reputation and wanting to fit in with them but of course things don't always work out that way. It's always important to be yourself and never turn on the people that share a good friendship with you. The storyline was enjoyable and a fun movie to watch.

"Nerds, jocks. My side, your side. It's all bullsh*t. It's hard enough just trying to be yourself." - Ronald Miller played by Patrick Dempsey

I always seem to get Can't Buy Me Love mixed up with the movie Loverboy, probably because they both star Patrick Dempsey. Neither is a standout teen movie for me, but they're both enjoyable movies.

#14.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 (1987)
Director: Tony Scott
Writers: Danilo Bach (characters), Daniel Petrie Jr. (characters)
Cast: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated R

Axel Foley is at it again in this exciting action packed sequel, not as good as the original but the movie still holds on its own. In this sequel we have Axel returning to Beverly Hills to help his two cop buddies, Billy Rosewood and John Taggart investigate the near fatal shooting of Beverly Hills police captain, Andrew Bogomil and also trying to solve this series of alphabet crimes.

"Are you driving with your eyes open? Or are you, like, using "the force"?"- Axel Foley played by Eddie Murphy

#13.

Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Director: Richard Donner
Writers: Jeffrey Boam (screenplay), Shane Black (story)
Cast: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 54 Minutes
Rated R

A good action packed film and the sequel was able to stand on its own, almost good as the original movie. As usual the great chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh was a delightful thing to see as they fight off the new villains on the streets of Los Angeles. I would also like to add that Joe Pesci was a good addition to the film and adding some humor the movie as well.

"I'm too old for this sh*t." - Roger Murtaugh played by Danny Glover

#13.

Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Director: Richard Donner
Writers: Jeffrey Boam (screenplay), Shane Black (story)
Cast: Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 54 Minutes
Rated R

A good action packed film and the sequel was able to stand on its own, almost good as the original movie. As usual the great chemistry between Riggs and Murtaugh was a delightful thing to see as they fight off the new villains on the streets of Los Angeles. I would also like to add that Joe Pesci was a good addition to the film and adding some humor the movie as well.

"I'm too old for this sh*t." - Roger Murtaugh played by Danny Glover

The Lethal Weapon movies seem to blend together for me, but I loved Joe Pesci's "words of wisdom" in this movie. I haven't ordered food from a drive thru in over 30 years because he's right.

#19.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Cast: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Mia Sara
Genre: Comedy
Rated PG-13

This fun movie brings us on a great adventure about a high school slacker playing hooky from school. Also bringing his two friends along to join in on the fun and outsmarting the principal at school while he tries to catch Ferris in the act of playing hokey. Imo, I think Matthew Broderick did a great job with his role as Ferris.

“Life Moves Pretty Fast. If You Don’t Stop And Look Around Once In A While, You Could Miss It.” - Ferris Bueller played by Matthew Broderick
ahhhh loved this movie

The Lethal Weapon movies seem to blend together for me, but I loved Joe Pesci's "words of wisdom" in this movie. I haven't ordered food from a drive thru in over 30 years because he's right.

one of my favorite parts in the movie

#12.

Robocop (1987)
Director: Paul Verhoeven
Writers: Edward Neumeier, Michael Miner
Cast: Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Dan O'Herlihy
Genre: Action, Crime, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 42 Minutes
Rated R

I love crime fighting movies like this one, great action and excitement about a Detroit cop that was brutally murdered by thugs and now comes back from the dead as a cyborg that wants to avenge his death and take out the bad guys that killed him and fight other crimes in Detroit as well.

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!" - Alex Murphy played by Peter Weller aka Robocop

#11.

The Untouchables (1987)
Director: Brian De Palma
Writers: David Mamet, Oscar Fraley (suggested by book)
Cast: Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Robert De Niro
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 59 Minutes
Rated R

This was a nice crime and thriller mafia movie and love how this film explores the Prohibition era In Chicago and showing us how difficult it was to arrest Al Capone, Chicago's biggest mafia boss as he is being charged for tax evasion. The cast did a good job in the film and also Brian de Palma did an outstanding job with making this movie bloody and brutal.

"Never stop fighting till the fight is done." - Elliot Ness played by Kevin Costner