The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks to the MOFO community, reading the phrase, "Oh okay" is to me the same as what a ticking clock is to Captain Hook.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Well then. Thought I'd log into Ghost of Tsushima for a quick ride around. Apparently I last logged out in a rage-quit because I loaded into a boss solo fight for the burning blade technique. I couldn't survive this match when I was regularly playing. I don't even remember what button does what now that I haven't played in months.

Five 3-second death sequences and I'm done. I guess I'll never play this game again now. Ugh.

Well then. Thought I'd log into Ghost of Tsushima for a quick ride around. Apparently I last logged out in a rage-quit because I loaded into a boss solo fight for the burning blade technique. I couldn't survive this match when I was regularly playing. I don't even remember what button does what now that I haven't played in months.

Five 3-second death sequences and I'm done. I guess I'll never play this game again now. Ugh.
i havent finished ghost of tsushima yet lol

I may be able to load a save state, assuming I made an effort to save a state. I can't believe it loads right into the fight and not the option before to duel or not. Wait. I vaguely remember with another fight dying so many times it asked if I wanted to try again later. Maybe that will prompt here too. BUT OMG THIS temple was so hard to get to, I wonder if I can still jump back to this map location or if I have to climb that mountain again? If I remember right, I probably died at least three times just attempting to reach each checkpoint campfire. That was an ugly obstacle IMO and a bit difficult. I don't think it's possible to find your way through each leg before you die unless you already know the path. Nice old school game reference, I guess, restarting a level until you learn its pattern. Still, it's out of place in this game.

grrrrr. I hate getting out of a game for some time and try to pick up where I left off. So many FF games have been abandoned for forgetting combos. =\

Let the night air cool you off
Anybody here ever play Fantasy Strike? I'm loving it. I like fighting games, but I'm usually trash at them because of the combos and other complexities being too much for me. But Fantasy Strike makes it really simple by giving so few buttons, but making all of the characters feel unique. Everything is about mind games, which is the part of fighting games I love the most.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I’m stuck in VR land, so can only play fighty games that involve punching your wall by mistake, or doing horrible physics things with swords.

(I’m still too scared to play the Walking Dead game. Seriously...)

How is Star Citizen you ask?

Let me sing you a song...

Edit: Bum, can’t get Twitch clips to work. Try this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/HomelyAbstem...Ha6AZqxMcDnYsP

Anybody play Super Mario 3d World? How is that one

I've been playing the Bowser's Fury version (it's faster and they added some new movement options), and it's real fun, especially when compared to most other games on the market. It's not as good as a 64 or Odyssey, but it's a super fun game to get sucked in to. You'll end up playing for hours and not even realize it, and I think that's because Mario games do this really crazy thing where they decide to not put bull**** dumb parts in the game that make me want to turn it off. It's wild how you can make a fun game without hours of cutscenes and tutorials and some dip**** story written by a committee of the type of people that eat Arby's and watch court hearings on TV.

The Bowser's Fury mode they added is ok. It's really bizarre because, where mainline 3D Mario games have challenges that all hinge on the central theme of a level, this is just a bunch of little obstacle courses scattered around with no real rhyme or reason. This makes it stand out, but also makes it feel less focused. The mechanic where at certain times Bowser will wake up and try to kill you is pretty ****in dumb, since it doesn't account for what you're doing and can either feel really easy (you just get a shine and he goes away) or like a real annoying interruption. All this aside, the level designs are real fun and I think I come down on it so much just because how good Mario stuff usually is. You can also beat it in a couple of hours so you definitely shouldn't buy it for this mode alone.

I rambled but the main point is game = good

Ok actually, here’s the VR game I’m definitely not playing

The Walking Dead arena mode almost looks cute in comparison...

Erm, this post is PG-13

EDIT: Oh god now what is this?

New distractions as time permits: Gravity Rush and Goat Simulator!
Gravity Rush had me worried at first. Your character wakes up, confused, and you must explore the immediate area to trigger a sequence of events to get to the game proper. Problem is, for the entire sequence you cannot look around. The camera seems to be locked and hovers randomly to where you can't really look around to even begin to know where you're supposed to go. Eventually, I found a stairway to climb that triggered an NPC to appear, begging me to follow him to save his son. After following him around a bit (still unable to look around but to the direction you're moving), you come to the first real gameplay tutorial segment. Once the tutorial starts, you have normal viewing control.

Weird game. Your character has no idea who she is and there's this trippy black cat that follows you around, randomly vanishing into puffs of smoke only to reappear somewhere else nearby. Through the tutorial section, you're taught to levitate, target a flight path, and "invert" gravity to fall towards your target rather than down to where gravity would normally pull you. For example, if you levitate and aim to the side of a building, you will "fall" to the side of that building and land on your feet, parallel to the ground below, standing on the building's side wall. You can levitate, fly, and stand wherever you land for as long as your meter has color left. The longer you go, the more the meter eats away. It can be disorienting, but it's pretty interesting.

Budget seems as though it was low as they took a lot of narrative short cuts such as using comic book frames to handle the character dialogues. There are minimal textures, and the characters all have a washed out "flash" rendered effect similar to that of the movie, A Scanner Darkly. Soundtrack, voice acting, environments, and the child-like approach to violence and the game world remind me a LOT of old PS Final Fantasy 8 (maybe 7 too). So if you're into either, you might enjoy this environment. I'm not sure how deep I'll get into this one, but it's a cute and charming novelty for now at least. Controls are wonky, but I expect that to smooth out with experience.

Goat Simulator

huh. I've seen clips and adverts and always figured I'd try it out. This weekend I found two add-ons. One for an MMO sim and the other a Waste of Space sim. Both had hilarious trailers. I purchased both with a 75% off sale so each was like a buck and change. I did NOT realize that they were only add-ons, so ended up having to buy the game itself the next day. That was maybe 3 bucks more. Whatever. This game is ridiculous lol. Controls and rendering is about as good as ole Second Life was way back when, but the world here is livelier and, well, just more fun to run around as a goat knocking stuff over. That seems to be the only objective. Jump over things, knock things over, jump THROUGH things, climb things, and headbutt pedestrians. You get points for everything, and everything has a score title like "x10 for licking dumpster!" or "x2 for jumping on trampoline!" It's all very silly, but in a lovely waste of time kinda way. I have no purpose here, just run around and be stupid. I was laughing hysterically and I was totally sober.

In my first 10 minutes I found a warp to the Goat Castle where maybe 20 goat subjects bowed in my entrance before I jumped to the throne to declare myself Goat Queen. The throne was a grill of sorts, because it lit me on fire. Who knows. I soon warped back to where I was and noticed that I had a Goat Queen bone skull face mask. Checking inventory (yeah, goats got inventory, yo!), I also apparently unlocked a jetpack. Scrolling through, I noticed several skins available if I play the game and find the right whatever to unlock them. That should be fun. For now though, I have a jetpack and I'm flying chaotically around town busting up whatever and knocking my goat unconscious. Pretty great stuff for a few bucks.

Waste of Space
(which is what I originally wanted)

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm back to playing crazy amounts of hours in Stardew Valley, now that there has been a major content update this year. I wonder if @Tacitus is still playing this game occasionally. (If not, head on over after the update! New areas! New stuff to do!)

I had forgotten how charming and fun this game is. I started a few new farms just to see what the new farm options look like, but to truly take advantage of the new areas, I went back to my major time-sucking farm, where I am a multimillionaire but still check everybody's trash cans every day for free stuff.

Still a charming game with TONS of stuff to do. It never gets old. I won't post how many hours Steam tells me I have logged in this game. It's embarrassing for a grown woman turning 60 this year.

Work has been CRAZY this year for some reason. wtf? I try to squeeze in game time as I can, but seems that's only ever around 10-20 minutes before crashing. Even my movie time has been cut short. I'm able to maybe get through 1/3 of any movie each night. I'm hoping the goat sim can unwind mental knots a bit more than getting all jacked up on adrenalin because some samurai force caught me off guard or what have you.

Also, Golgot's two vids look weirdly awesome. I'm too scared to play scary games, but wow do those look great. YEARS ago, I downloaded a demo for Bioshock on PC. Yeah, the first one of the three. When that intro sequence bathysphere docked and I watched the lights flicker, then a splicer ripped apart two of the citizens, I was like, "Yeah, no." It took maybe 5 years to try it again on PS3. I tried a demo of F.E.A.R. way back when too. Game looked great, but when I turned the corner to walk down a dark alleyway and my HUD went black and some chick's voice started mumbling to me in the headset? Yeah, screw that.

Games look good though!

New distractions as time permits: Gravity Rush and Goat Simulator!
Gravity Rush had me worried at first. Your character wakes up, confused, and you must explore the immediate area to trigger a sequence of events to get to the game proper. Problem is, for the entire sequence you cannot look around. The camera seems to be locked and hovers randomly to where you can't really look around to even begin to know where you're supposed to go. Eventually, I found a stairway to climb that triggered an NPC to appear, begging me to follow him to save his son. After following him around a bit (still unable to look around but to the direction you're moving), you come to the first real gameplay tutorial segment. Once the tutorial starts, you have normal viewing control.

Weird game. Your character has no idea who she is and there's this trippy black cat that follows you around, randomly vanishing into puffs of smoke only to reappear somewhere else nearby. Through the tutorial section, you're taught to levitate, target a flight path, and "invert" gravity to fall towards your target rather than down to where gravity would normally pull you. For example, if you levitate and aim to the side of a building, you will "fall" to the side of that building and land on your feet, parallel to the ground below, standing on the building's side wall. You can levitate, fly, and stand wherever you land for as long as your meter has color left. The longer you go, the more the meter eats away. It can be disorienting, but it's pretty interesting.

Budget seems as though it was low as they took a lot of narrative short cuts such as using comic book frames to handle the character dialogues. There are minimal textures, and the characters all have a washed out "flash" rendered effect similar to that of the movie, A Scanner Darkly. Soundtrack, voice acting, environments, and the child-like approach to violence and the game world remind me a LOT of old PS Final Fantasy 8 (maybe 7 too). So if you're into either, you might enjoy this environment. I'm not sure how deep I'll get into this one, but it's a cute and charming novelty for now at least. Controls are wonky, but I expect that to smooth out with experience.

Goat Simulator

huh. I've seen clips and adverts and always figured I'd try it out. This weekend I found two add-ons. One for an MMO sim and the other a Waste of Space sim. Both had hilarious trailers. I purchased both with a 75% off sale so each was like a buck and change. I did NOT realize that they were only add-ons, so ended up having to buy the game itself the next day. That was maybe 3 bucks more. Whatever. This game is ridiculous lol. Controls and rendering is about as good as ole Second Life was way back when, but the world here is livelier and, well, just more fun to run around as a goat knocking stuff over. That seems to be the only objective. Jump over things, knock things over, jump THROUGH things, climb things, and headbutt pedestrians. You get points for everything, and everything has a score title like "x10 for licking dumpster!" or "x2 for jumping on trampoline!" It's all very silly, but in a lovely waste of time kinda way. I have no purpose here, just run around and be stupid. I was laughing hysterically and I was totally sober.

In my first 10 minutes I found a warp to the Goat Castle where maybe 20 goat subjects bowed in my entrance before I jumped to the throne to declare myself Goat Queen. The throne was a grill of sorts, because it lit me on fire. Who knows. I soon warped back to where I was and noticed that I had a Goat Queen bone skull face mask. Checking inventory (yeah, goats got inventory, yo!), I also apparently unlocked a jetpack. Scrolling through, I noticed several skins available if I play the game and find the right whatever to unlock them. That should be fun. For now though, I have a jetpack and I'm flying chaotically around town busting up whatever and knocking my goat unconscious. Pretty great stuff for a few bucks.

Waste of Space
(which is what I originally wanted)
omg seriously star wars goat simulator now lol . i use to play first goat simulator alot then stopped that it got boring lol

Not sure how shooting people with tennis balls to spawn dead goats from the sky can get boring.

omg seriously star wars goat simulator now lol
I think you mean Star Citizen simulator

(The digs at the kickstarter aspect in that trailer are just classic )

Not even Goat Simulator can match SC's absurdities and physics jank though