Musical
23.08%
12 votes
Noir
23.08%
12 votes
War
52 votes. You may not vote on this poll

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Unfortunately I think we're probably going in circles now; I can only repeat my previous responses to this point:

1) You can't inflate a category by sub-dividing it. Comedy would not suddenly have an advantage if only we'd had a long discussion about whether to do Satires separately or not.

2) The prospect of sub-dividing a category is, as far as I can see, pretty clearly a disadvantage, since it has the potential to exclude large numbers of films. This isn't a hypothetical in this case, either, as a number of people expressed this very sentiment in the previous thread.

If by that you mean that it may simply change the result relative to another method, I agree.
Regardless, I'm calling it a night here. It's fine if not everyone likes this voting method, and I'm fine hearing the complaints. Hopefully my responses assuage them, but if not, I still need to reply in the interest of transparency.

Hopefully, also, people can also trust that I've put a lot of thought into this and consider giving me the benefit of the doubt on a few things. But if not, that's okay too.

Yes, I think we're going in circles too, and I'm also done for the night. (I already fell asleep at my keyboard while typing my last reply. )

Regardless, I'm calling it a night here. It's fine if not everyone likes this voting method, and I'm fine hearing the complaints. Hopefully my responses assuage them, but if not, I still need to reply in the interest of transparency.

Hopefully, also, people can also trust that I've put a lot of thought into this and consider giving me the benefit of the doubt on a few things. But if not, that's okay too.
Absolutely!

...I realize that you've put in a lot of time & effort to help us out on the next countdown choice, so that's appreciated now if we can just find a host...

How long do we usually have between announcing a countdown and the submission deadline?
I made a list of countdowns with links and stats including how long each countdown's watch period was. The watch period has ranged from around 3 months to 6 months.

Check this out
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=63339

I think it's safe to say that foreign has won with 29 votes. Comedy and Noir in 2nd place with 12 votes. Hopefully we get one more vote for one of them just incase we do decide that the 2nd place winner wins because no one is interested in doing the Foreign countdown. Hopefully someone would be interested to do a Comedy or Noir countdown if it wins also.

At this point we need a miracle to get more votes for the other genres to win this poll

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

It varies kind of a lot. We did about three months for the Refresh list, but Harry Lime's 90s list was something like five.

I think a few months is about right, personally. Not sure if something like Foreign films calls for longer or not, though, but three would be my personal recommendation.

Bump.

Five days left, and yes, we're going to wait until that deadline, both because I set it in advance and it wouldn't be fair to change, and also because nobody's volunteered to help run this yet.

In case that last issue persists, I should note that Comedy and Noir are tied for second...

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

OK, I can do it, with a couple of caveats.

I'd be up for hosting/curating a general foreign language film countdown, but not for endless rounds of further polls about different regions etc. I'd want to start soon, for timing reasons.

I can make posts and use spreadsheets to count films, but I have no tech skills whatsoever. I can't do html, I can't make fancy graphics, I'm not even sure how to resize images. I put a gif in this post and that was an achievement for me

I am not an expert in foreign films!

Cool, thank you!

The good news is you don't have to use a spreadsheet, I'm going to build a tool for ballot counting, and I'll walk you through any code and image upload processes (and for the latter, you'll have a special form to upload them directly to our server that'll give you the URL to embed automatically).

Poll ends in five days, so you can start thinking about some of this now if you want. Similarly, if you want help with presentation/graphics, I'm sure at least a few people in this thread may have some thoughts about that, and I'll do my best, as well, to help around the margins.

I can't do html, I can't make fancy graphics, I'm not even sure how to resize images. I put a gif in this post and that was an achievement for me
Well you're the host, you don't have to do the graphics. A volunteer will do the graphics and then send them on to you for you to post.

I'd want to start soon, for timing reasons.
If you ever run into a situation where you can't host/post on a night due to your personal life, a guest host could post on that night for you (It was done in the horror countdown so I'm sure it could be done for this one). I'm usually available

True that you don't have to the graphics, though I'd say in nearly all cases those people have been one and the same. But yes, not required, and you can ask people to PM you general concepts, even, which you and I can then work on. Unless someone specifically wants to help design stuff.

And yes, Brownies makes a good point, as long as you give people some notice, you can probably hand off posting duties for a day here and there. Heck, you can do that with me if you need to. And if an emergency comes up, missing a day or two isn't exactly the end of the world.

I'd be up for hosting/curating a general foreign language film countdown, but not for endless rounds of further polls about different regions etc. I'd want to start soon, for timing reasons.
Sweet. FWIW, we've had countdowns with zero graphics before.

I had a few wonderful volunteers whip up some banners for me when I did the animation countdown. I swiped a bunch of gifs from Google and I figured out some simple stuff on some free websites for the rest.

I can PM you the spreadsheet that Daniel made for tabulating the votes if you'd like. Hosting is a time-consuming job, but I think you'll find it's rewarding too.

Also happy to read that it'll be a general countdown and not regional.

P.S. Something I found really helpful when it came to presentation was to ready posts several days in advance and then PM them to myself. Then all I had to do was copy and paste them into the thread when it was time to post and I could work on them whenever it was convenient for me.

...I'm going to build a tool for ballot counting...
...I can PM you the spreadsheet that Daniel made for tabulating the votes if you'd like...
She shouldn't need a spreadsheet as Yoda has plans to make a ballot counting tool. Which should make things much easier for all the future countdown host.

The trick is not minding

I can make posts and use spreadsheets to count films, but I have no tech skills whatsoever. I can't do html, I can't make fancy graphics, I'm not even sure how to resize images. I put a gif in this post and that was an achievement for me

I am not an expert in foreign films!
Yay! Thanks for stepping up!

And yes, Brownies makes a good point, as long as you give people some notice, you can probably hand off posting duties for a day here and there. Heck, you can do that with me if you need to. And if an emergency comes up, missing a day or two isn't exactly the end of the world.
Another thing I did with both of my countdowns is if I knew I had a busy few days coming up I might do a bunch of reveals all at once. If for instance I knew I was going to be busy all weekend and I was due to reveal say #78 and #77 on Friday, #76 and #75 on Saturday, and #74 and #73 on Sunday, with my Friday reveal I would do all six of them, #78 to #73 in one shot, and announce that the next new reveal would be on Monday.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Cool, thank you!

The good news is you don't have to use a spreadsheet, I'm going to build a tool for ballot counting, and I'll walk you through any code and image upload processes (and for the latter, you'll have a special form to upload them directly to our server that'll give you the URL to embed automatically).

Poll ends in five days, so you can start thinking about some of this now if you want. Similarly, if you want help with presentation/graphics, I'm sure at least a few people in this thread may have some thoughts about that, and I'll do my best, as well, to help around the margins.
Awesome, thanks.

So is the ballot counter going to be the way people enter their lists, or would they still PM them and I would enter them into the ballot counter?