What are movies everyone's expected to have seen that you haven't yet?

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A Christmas Story. It's an essential Xmas movie apparently that I some how missed as a child and into adulthood. They play it on a loop on TBS/TNT xmas morning. I've tried to sit down and watch it but for some reason can't. I think it's one of those movies you have to grow up with, for some reason I have no desire to see it.

I usually like Christmas movies, but A Christmas Story is one of the few Christmas movies that I've never had any interest in seeing.

I usually like Christmas movies, but A Christmas Story is one of the few Christmas movies that I've never had any interest in seeing.
I think you had to grow up with it to really adore it and for some reason I missed it growing up. But what's crazy is my buddy has a Xmas party every year in our hometown. My buddy was in a Christmas Story onesie this year...I guess he wears one in the movie? Anyways I admitted to everyone standing there that I hadn't seen it.

Now to bring the story to a terrible screeching halt...my buddy was found unresponsive about a week later...we were buddies and I loved seeing the dude but we weren't like super super close. Anyways my last memory of him was sucking down a beer in a Christmas Story onsie. lol not a bad way to remember him. So if I ever sit down and watch it i'll think of him ha.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think you had to grow up with it to really adore it and for some reason I missed it growing up. But what's crazy is my buddy has a Xmas party every year in our hometown. My buddy was in a Christmas Story onesie this year...I guess he wears one in the movie? Anyways I admitted to everyone standing there that I hadn't seen it.

Now to bring the story to a terrible screeching halt...my buddy was found unresponsive about a week later...we were buddies and I loved seeing the dude but we weren't like super super close. Anyways my last memory of him was sucking down a beer in a Christmas Story onsie. lol not a bad way to remember him. So if I ever sit down and watch it i'll think of him ha.

That's so sad, but at least it might give you a reason to watch the movie someday.

But I think I've seen pictures of the kid in the movie wearing a pink bunny onesie, so if that's what your friend was wearing, then it should be a great memory for you.

I haven't John Wick yet. Everyone tells me it's great and I am a Keanu Reeves fan but something about this movie just doesn't appeal to me. The trailer anyway, didn't entice me to want to see this.

Victim of The Night
There’s a lot. Across all genres, and many famous directors and many countries. I just don’t have enough time to have seen them all. Some I hadn’t even heard of. Foreign films, especially with certain genres, such as Hausu, I didn’t even know of until I came to this site. Near Dark is another example that I hadn’t even heard of until I joined this site, but that’s a result of it simply falling between the cracks.
Tarkovsky is a huge blind spot, not because I never heard of him (I’ve known of his work for almost 20 years) but because his work isn’t readily available on streaming unless I have criterion. Which I don’t. Yet.
Criterion Channel honestly seems like my best bet to actually watch many of these m, but I haven’t taken the time to buy it because I have enough to watch as it is.
At some point, I’ll be to cross off all of Ozu, Kurosawa, Fellini, Truffaut, Rohmer, Malle, Chabrol, Fassbinder, Goddard, and many others. But it will take quite some time.
Good thing I’m in no rush.
Ya know how I got started on this movie journey (and I don't mean just loving and voraciously consuming any movie within reach, I mean getting to and through the Greats)?
I actually bought Roger Ebert's book, The Great Movies, back when there was only one volume and just 100 Great Movies, and started watching them one at a time and then reading his essays on each one.
It was a nice little project that even my wife, who thought me watching so many movies was a waste of time, could see as an actual thing to do.

Victim of The Night
A Christmas Story. It's an essential Xmas movie apparently that I some how missed as a child and into adulthood. They play it on a loop on TBS/TNT xmas morning. I've tried to sit down and watch it but for some reason can't. I think it's one of those movies you have to grow up with, for some reason I have no desire to see it.

Scent Of A Woman Just putting this because I think I am going knock it off my not watched list this weekend or soon.
Honestly, I did not like A Christmas Story one bit when it came out and I didn't like it for about a decade or so and then it finally clicked for me. So there's hope.

Scent Of A Woman is crap and no one should be expected to see it. And Pacino's BA Oscar for it is kind of a travesty as it was a pity-Oscar for the 6 times he had already been nominated and lost and it validated that clown-ass characterization that he basically kept up for the rest of his career. I find the film unwatchable because it's not a very interesting story to begin with, it's very, very 90s-mainstream-film in the worst way, and I find Pacino absolutely unbearable in it.
Not to mention Denzel's Malcolm X performance was passed over for a "you've been in the club long enough it's your turn" statue.

The trick is not minding
Ya know how I got started on this movie journey (and I don't mean just loving and voraciously consuming any movie within reach, I mean getting to and through the Greats)?
I actually bought Roger Ebert's book, The Great Movies, back when there was only one volume and just 100 Great Movies, and started watching them one at a time and then reading his essays on each one.
It was a nice little project that even my wife, who thought me watching so many movies was a waste of time, could see as an actual thing to do.
You’re absolutely right, it’s a great starter point for sure.
I actually did start going through that back in 2006, 2007? Eventually I branched off onto other means. Eventually I plan on finishing his list, it that will take some time. I’m currently at 43%, according to this site.
Years ago, I looked up the various awards for other countries equivalent to the US Oscars and started looking up many of those films nominated. That lead me to discover many different films I wouldn’t have normally.

Citizen Kane

The Caine Mutiny

Raising Cain

Solomon Kane

Brother John

Citizen Kane.
I keep saving it for... something.

Ditto, Lawrence Of Arabia.
Oh and The Seven Samurai.

I dunno if this one counts, but I never saw Saving Private Ryan. Just never had any interest and still don't.

Oh and I walked out of Titanic, so I've never seen the ship sink or the thing with the wood-raft thing or whatever.
I saw Citizen Kane for the first time a few months ago. I've never seen Lawrence of Arabia either...I've heard it's one of the longest movies ever made, which is probably the main reason I've been avoiding it.

Corax's list begs the question: is there a bad movie with "Kane" or one of its derivatives in the title?
So for the record, you don't think DePalma's Raising Cain is a bad movie?!?

SPOILER ALERT: It definitely is.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If I may, I think it would help to watch one just easy crowd-pleaser first.
And I say this because I found Kurosawa daunting for years and then I watched The Hidden Fortress and because it's such an adventure-type film, really like a 70s or even 80s Spielberg or Lucas movie in a lot of ways, it was super-easy to get into and that made watching other movies of his easier.
Throne Of Blood would be a great place to start if you ask me. Not too long, easy viewing, Mifune, just an all-around good pic that's worthy of greatness but doesn't ask too much of the viewer.
I liked Rashomon a lot but if I had started with it I think I would have had a harder time to keep going because of the era of filmmaking. Going back to it with at least one crowd-pleaser under my belt made it really easy to get into.
I decided that going with a crowd-pleaser would be like eating dessert before dinner, so I went with my original plan to see them chronologically. That way I've got something to look forward to. Lots of good stuff in his 40s films, so I'm beyond ready for the 50s epics which I plan to start in March.

So for the record, you don't think DePalma's Raising Cain is a bad movie?!?

SPOILER ALERT: It definitely is.
I haven't seen it yet. I'm a De Palma fan, but I've been hesitant to watch this one. It sounds like it's a real love it or hate it kind of movie.

The truth is in here
I haven't seen it yet. I'm a De Palma fan, but I've been hesitant to watch this one. It sounds like it's a real love it or hate it kind of movie.
I like it. It made me aware of John Lithgow, who gives a fantastic performance. Not a career highlight, but an entertaining psychological thriller. I say give it a watch.

My Darth Star is in for a service
Just a few that don't appeal to me

The Artist
The Pianist
Driving Miss Daisy
Schindler's List
La La Land
Moonlight
12 Years A Slave
Beautiful Boy
Parasite
Last Of The Mohicans
My Left Foot

Basically the majority of Oscar winners, Woody Allen's complete works and anything Mark Kermode or Paul Gambiacini endorsed.
After reading others comments on this thread I feel the need to add to my list.

Haven't watched these and probably never will.

The Godfather Trilogy
JFK
Scarface
Carlito's Way
Lord Of The Flies
12 Angry Men