Best Chevy Chase Movie?

Tools    

National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Vegas Vacation

Obviously the original Vacation would be my choice.

I should probably watch Fletch some day.

Best movie starring Chevy Chase is undoubtedly Christmas Vacation. It's my family's annual Christmas movie. The problem is that he isn't the actual star of the show, or even the series. Without Randy Quaid, I doubt there would have been a sequel. There was no cousin Eddie in European vacation, and it definitely suffered as a result. Chevy was pretty good in that, but just imagine how much better it would have been if Eddie had somehow managed to get on the Pig in a Poke show with the rest of the Griswalds!

The movie he is funniest in is a tossup between the original Vacation or the three amigos. Or maybe Vegas Vacation.

Chevy's problem is that he's the stupid straight guy. He's a dimwitted Abbot to the rest of the cast's Costello. He needs somebody to play off of. Even the desert scene in the original Vacation have those Indians to point out what an ******* he is. This is why funny farm really didn't cut it. His co-stars weren't good enough to help him. The funniest scenes in that movie were with the movers, who were hysterical!

Victim of The Night
Fletch
Caddyshack
Foul Play
Seems Like Old Times
Vacation
Oh Heavenly Dog
Spies Like Us

Funny Farm was the reason I gave up on CC, never saw another one of his movies after that.

Victim of The Night
Best movie starring Chevy Chase is undoubtedly Christmas Vacation. It's my family's annual Christmas movie. The problem is that he isn't the actual star of the show, or even the series. Without Randy Quaid, I doubt there would have been a sequel. There was no cousin Eddie in European vacation, and it definitely suffered as a result. Chevy was pretty good in that, but just imagine how much better it would have been if Eddie had somehow managed to get on the Pig in a Poke show with the rest of the Griswalds!

The movie he is funniest in is a tossup between the original Vacation or the three amigos. Or maybe Vegas Vacation.

Chevy's problem is that he's the stupid straight guy. He's a dimwitted Abbot to the rest of the cast's Costello. He needs somebody to play off of. Even the desert scene in the original Vacation have those Indians to point out what an ******* he is. This is why funny farm really didn't cut it. His co-stars weren't good enough to help him. The funniest scenes in that movie were with the movers, who were hysterical!
Just to offer some counterpoint, I think the original Vacation is a vastly superior movie, and much funnier, than Christmas Vacation.
Chase was actually originally going for a leading-man thing, not an Abbott, when he did things like Foul Play, Seems Like Old Times, and Fletch, all movies in which he is very successful (and all pretty good comedies too). Even something like the mis-step (of a film, not a role) of Deal of the Century has him portraying a cleverer, smoother comic than the rote silliness he would devolve into later. He peaked with Fletch before he leaned too hard into the buffoonery of Vacation in its sequels and that is when he lost me as he continued to make stupid films like Funny Farm, Cops and Robbersons, and Man of the House, movies that destroyed his career as audiences tired of his one-note foolishness.
Chase was at his best when he was suave yet comic, a fool but more in the sense of a jester than an idiot.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Slightly off topic, but Nothing but Trouble was a movie I didn't really care for when I watched it in theater. I was a teen at the time and maybe I was expecting more SNL level pratfalls or something similar to Vacation, but I just don't remember getting into it. I haven't seen it many times since, but I'll revisit it at least once a decade. I have to admit that the older I get, the more I appreciate this one. Maybe it was too dark for my expectations of a Chase flick? Maybe it was the marketing. I can't remember. But I am at odds with why I didn't like anymore than I did at the time.

Back to the topic: Maybe Vacation and Caddyshack. I've always loved Chevy Chase and tried to emulate his physical humor in my junior high science classes. =\ Fletch was great, but I felt at the time it was more of a Beverly Hills Cop clone and thought Chase could do better. It was still a good movie on its own though.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear