Musical
23.08%
12 votes
Noir
23.08%
12 votes
War
52 votes. You may not vote on this poll

That'll ultimately be up to the Curator (with community input, I'd hope/imagine), but that seems to be the idea.
Curator?? do you mean creator lol

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Nope, Curator is the word I like to use for the person who runs each list. Creator would be a strange term since it's created by everyone together, I think.

"Host" is a common choice, too, just not the one I prefer, personally.

Nope, Curator is the word I like to use for the person who watches over each list. Creator would be a strange term since it's created by everyone together.

"Host" is a common choice, too, just not the one I prefer.

Oh ok, sorry didn't know what you meant well now I know

Nobody volunteering to maybe Curate a Foreign Films list, eh?

How about we just put together a list of people who WILL if the alternative is the runner-up wins the poll?

I'm mostly kidding but, well, technically that's what would happen if literally nobody is willing to run something, even if it wins. So keep voting, that second place spot might matter.
So if no one volunteers to do the foreign list if it wins, the 2nd place winner wins instead?

Well, we don't actually have any rule for this eventuality, and there aren't really any firm rules for any of this: just customs.

That said, yeah, I think that would be the most reasonable answer, if that happened. But that's pretty unlikely. I think if that were the choice, somebody would step up, particularly if others volunteered to shoulder the load.

You know who would be good to host the Foreign Language countdown? @rauldc14
He hosted the 1950s Top 100 Countdown, has run a bunch of HoFs and is always rock solid and an already good guy...Maybe someone could partner up with him and do the ballots/spreadsheet like Suspect did for Yoda....That is if Raul can be talked into it

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
You know who would be good to host the Foreign Language countdown? @rauldc14
He hosted the 1950s Top 100 Countdown, has run a bunch of HoFs and is always rock solid and an already good guy...Maybe someone could partner up with him and do the ballots/spreadsheet like Suspect did for Yoda....That is if Raul can be talked into it
I will probably do one in the future, actually I'd love to even do this.

However I feel my life is about as busy as Suspects with 2 kids under 3 and it sounded like Suspect had quite an adventure.

I would do the tally, but I'd certainly stay out of the graphics portion as I had issues with the embedding of the photos and I'm not really great at that stuff to begin with.

I will probably do one in the future, actually I'd love to even do this.

However I feel my life is about as busy as Suspects with 2 kids under 3 and it sounded like Suspect had quite an adventure.

I would do the tally, but I'd certainly stay out of the graphics portion as I had issues with the embedding of the photos and I'm not really great at that stuff to begin with.
I didn't even know you had kids until a few weeks ago...yeah I image that's a lot of responsibility right there. Well it was just a long shot, but would've been cool if you could've

I should say for whoever host/curates the next countdown that artwork doesn't have to be fancy. Hell, just a movie poster or image with the title, year, director and points would be good enough. It shouldn't take too long to do that.

I should say for whoever host/curates the next countdown that artwork doesn't have to be fancy. Hell, just a movie poster or image with the title, year, director and points would be good enough. It shouldn't take too long to do that.
Gonna echo this, in two ways:

First, that it's plausible someone might wanna help with just the artwork.

Second, that the integration I setup last time could allow you to draw heavily from all the posters and backdrop images you see on the individual movie pages/reviews here, which can do a lot of work for you. These films are already visual works of art, so you can lean on that heavily, applying an effect to them or putting them in a frame, or something really simple and minimal if you want.

Either way, I'd be able to help with all things technical. When Holden did his, for example, I made him a form that automatically uploaded the images locally to the server and spit the new URL right back to him, so nobody has to wrangle with annoying attachments or (God forbid) third party sites. In fact, it's preferred they don't.

Also remember that you probably won't have to use a spreadsheet or calculate anything. This will probably be the easiest Curator gig to date, in fact.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ranked choice is also very flawed. I want musical, and even though foreign would probably be my #2, I would put it last because I know foreign is the favorite. With ranked choice you get a lot of people that vote strategically rather than honestly.

I agree that ranked choice isn't perfect either, but it's still better than each person getting a random number of multiple votes that each have the same value.

Oh, I thought we were talking about whether it's fair. It certainly agree that it will potentially change the winner, though my guess is that in practice it won't have a major effect (particularly this time, given that the winner seems likely to win with a lot of room to spare). I think in this case the manner of voting wouldn't matter, though we should still discuss this for future votes, to be sure.

I don't think there's a clear argument that one is better, fairer, or produces fairer results, particularly since we first need to decide what we're measuring. Obviously if your goal is to find out what everyone's first choice is, this won't do that very well, but that's not the only way of voting. I think it's also reasonable to vote to select something the most people find acceptable, which is what I think this does.

I haven't voted yet in this poll, so I haven't seen the results, but it's obvious from the comments in this thread that foreign is so far ahead that my vote won't matter anyway.

But I would have liked to have seen the results if each person only had one vote because there were several people who I was sure were going to vote for foreign, (before this poll was opened), who have mentioned that they were going to vote for a different genre if they only had one vote. I think foreign probably still would have won in a one-vote poll, but I don't think it would have been by this much of a landslide.

Oh, I thought we were talking about whether it's fair. It certainly agree that it will potentially change the winner, though my guess is that in practice it won't have a major effect (particularly this time, given that the winner seems likely to win with a lot of room to spare). I think in this case the manner of voting wouldn't matter, though we should still discuss this for future votes, to be sure.

I don't think there's a clear argument that one is better, fairer, or produces fairer results, particularly since we first need to decide what we're measuring. Obviously if your goal is to find out what everyone's first choice is, this won't do that very well, but that's not the only way of voting. I think it's also reasonable to vote to select something the most people find acceptable, which is what I think this does.

And another point that I just thought of, how many people do you think voted for foreign, who might have voted for something else, if the options included either foreign (general) AND foreign (regional)?

So basically, it seems like foreign is getting the votes of two categories, not just one, (which would explain the landslide victory), because some people have made it clear that they don't want foreign as their first choice if the wrong format wins.

But I would have liked to have seen the results if each person only had one vote because there were several people who I was sure were going to vote for foreign, (before this poll was opened), who have mentioned that they were going to vote for a different genre if they only had one vote. I think foreign probably still would have won in a one-vote poll, but I don't think it would have been by this much of a landslide.
I'd have like to have seen that, too, but only because I'm curious, and not because I think it would produce a better/more amenable result.

And another point that I just thought of, how many people do you think voted for foreign, who might have voted for something else, if the options included either foreign (general) AND foreign (regional)?

So basically, it seems like foreign is getting the votes of two categories, not just one, (which would explain the landslide victory), because some people have made it clear that they don't want foreign as their first choice if the wrong format wins.
I don't think that's right. By this logic you could say any option is benefitting unfairly if only we discuss the ways in which it might be sub-categorized. IE: if we'd had a discussion about whether to include Dark Comedies or Horror-Comedy under Comedy, would Comedy suddenly have an advantage on the other options because it benefitted from three "categories"? This isn't even a hypothetical, since I believe we discussed whether Neo-Noirs should count as Noirs.

If anything, it's the opposite, in that someone might like the idea of one kind of Foreign list but not another. You actually made this point yourself: "...some people have made it clear that they don't want foreign as their first choice if the wrong format wins." So if anything, it's hurting it.

In fact, it would clearly be unfair to split categories up unless you have multiple votes, since otherwise you'll have a lot of people who like both but have to coordinate their choice to avoid splitting the vote and getting neither.

I'm gonna reproduce an earlier response because it's actually the core of the idea here, even though I think we're not really talking about it:

Obviously if your goal is to find out what everyone's first choice is, this won't do that very well, but that's not the only way of voting. I think it's also reasonable to vote to select something the most people find acceptable, which is what I think this does.
This is the logic, in a nutshell. With most people okay with several options and so many options to choose from, we're in danger of having a "winner" with a mere plurality of the vote. With multiple votes, we'll get something that most people find acceptable. That's it, that's the whole idea. So any argument to the contrary needs to explain why that is a bad goal, or why it won't actually achieve said goal.

Here's a potentially useful thought experiment: have you ever had to figure out where to order food from with a group of people? You can just tally votes, sure, but that means someone's always disappointed. You avoid that by ordering from a place that maybe isn't everyone's first choice, but that everyone likes. That's exactly what this is.

And that's no small thing, either, since people can either choose to participate in it or not when the time comes. So picking something that meets the threshold of acceptability to the most number of people is a pretty big deal.