Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Don’t Go Breaking My Heart 2 (2014)

Disgusting, dark, toxic, full of hate and madness. Perhaps the most nihilistic of To films. A modern world devoid of love, where human relationships are merely an exchange. A person for another person, an expensive gift for a promise. People are unable to love, thrashing about and using others, to manipulate and hurt. An act of madness is enough to make a decision on impulse - just as the characters make a decision in the stock market. Up or Down? Will he or won't he? Will she choose this or that? Once it's up, and once it's down. As in the stock market, so in life. The octopus always chooses wrong, but at least it always chooses the same. And while the first film ended in a more genre-standard way, here the ending is bitter, without trying to beautify, embellish or sweeten it (which of course is deliberate). Whereas in most romantic comedies the ending is triumphant, here it's toned down to the extreme. By reverse thinking, an octopus always chooses wrong, so clearly reversed is also the choice in relation to the first Don't Go Breaking My Heart.

The penultimate scene in the elevator definitively shows if the choice was right (no, it's not a fairy tale) and the last scene shows the final, devastating defeat. This is not just the defeat of one character. It is a failure of modern man, who has lost a part of himself, a part of love. Especially in this culture, this country, these times, this environment. There's a reason the finale takes place in Suzhou. For most of the duration time, To conducts a narrative typical of the genre, occasionally sprinkling it with interesting ideas, but in the finale, Johnnie goes down such a mocking path that I'm not surprised the point flew right over so many people's head. Incidentally, Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 is probably the most Douglas Sirk film of Johnnie To in that it uses an unbearable genre (saccharine harlequin vs. standard romantic comedy for normies) but adds dark, hidden content that elevates the whole thing into the echelons of excellence.

Louis Koo singing a song while climbing a skyscraper, pausing every two words to catch his breath is, upon further reflection, probably the most brilliant scene in the film. Hell, earlier in the film Louis Koo communicated with others through office building's windows, but there was a considerable space separating the characters. In the finale, Louis Koo reduces the space and lets the characters observe him up from close, but there's still glass separating them. Invisible space separating characters is a common theme in many Johnnie To films. It's not just about the relation of one character to another. It's also about their relation to space.

Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2 is a masterpiece. Naturally, working in the system he works in, To has no choice but to rigidly adhere to the framework of the genre when reconstructing it. This makes the film a romantic comedy with all the flaws of that fact. I hate Don't Go Breaking My Heart 2, but I have to give it to To: you did it again. Johnnie To, I bow to you low!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

BONNIE AND CLYDE
(1967, Penn)
A film with a couple's name in the title

"One time I told you I was gonna make you somebody. That's what you done for me. You made me somebody they gonna remember."

Arthur Penn's 1967 film follows the couple (Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway) from their initial meeting to their ultimate demise at the hands of the police. In between, we get to see their love and struggles, the gang they assemble, and how they "perfected their craft" (for lack of a better phrase) from stealing gas stations and convenience stores to robbing banks and murdering cops.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

BONNIE AND CLYDE
(1967, Penn)
A film with a couple's name in the title
In other words, “eponymous”.

Love this movie to pieces. Seen it a million times.

In other words, “eponymous”.

Love this movie to pieces. Seen it a million times.
Yeah, just highlighting what category from my "challenge" I'm covering with it.

On that thread I talk a bit more about the issues I had with the film and I think it falls a bit on "heresy"

Superfly - This 1972 blaxploitation classic is in no way a polished film. It was a lowbudget affair with a $500,000 budget and financed by two dentists and director Gordon Parks Jr.'s father, iconic director Gordon Parks. The script was allegedly only 45 pages long so there's a noticeable amount of extended scenes of people driving or walking which turns out not to matter or meaningfully detract from the movie. There are several reasons this belongs in the pantheon of blaxploitation flicks. It earned it's gritty realism the legitimate way with all of it's NYC and Harlem based scenes filmed guerilla style without official permits, union labor or even the tacit approval of background extras. The film crews were all non-white as well. And it has one of the most seminal soundtracks in movie history composed and performed by Curtis Mayfield, who appears on camera in a nightclub scene (the title song however doesn't actually show up until around the 74 minute mark of this hour and a half long movie). It also features a righteously charismatic lead performance by Ron O'Neal as Youngblood Priest, a cocaine dealer looking to exit the game gracefully. I've only seen a couple of the directors five total films but with this and Three the Hard Way he managed to helm two of my childhood favorites. 80/100

Victoria And Abdul (Stephen Frears, 2017)
Judi Dench made a good, older Queen Victoria, she was quite cranky which I could image the real Queen was like in her later years. This is based on a true story and one that was not well known until a journalist visited the Queen's summer home in 2003 and uncovered some writings by the Queen that told of this unique relationship that proved to be very scandalous in it's time.

This 2017 British movie is done as a biographical comedy-drama, so the general feeling is light, which I found enjoyable as it fit the film's motif. It was certainly beautiful filmed with gorgeous sets and costumes, just a joy to look at. The actor who played Abdul (Ali Fazal) did a fine job of not over playing it which easily could have been a problem. I liked him, and Judi Dench too.

Truth it seems is indeed stranger than fiction.

+
Just watched this, great review.

ps stoopid nOOb take here but damn it is hard to follow film discussion around here. Between this thread and everyone's little bespoke ghettoised "take" threads, the films all fly by and the whole lot is just blunderbussed into the sun by daybreak when the process starts anew.

What would be so wrong with 1 film/1 thread?

Victoria And Abdul (Stephen Frears, 2017)
Just watched this, great review.

ps stoopid nOOb take here but damn it is hard to follow film discussion around here. Between this thread and everyone's little bespoke ghettoised "take" threads, the films all fly by and the whole lot is just blunderbussed into the sun by daybreak when the process starts anew.

Wow I forgot all about that movie, but yeah I like Victoria And Abdul even though my mini-review was like 3 years ago, I could still recommend that film.

Quite a few folks (including myself) have posted single film reviews on the "Movie Review" forum. Some attract discussion, some don't.

This particular forum mostly just lists movies with the poster's rating-- oftentimes without any discussion at all. I personally like to read what a poster thinks of the movie that supported their rating.

BONNIE AND CLYDE
(1967, Penn)
Arthur Penn's 1967 film follows the couple (Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway) from their initial meeting to their ultimate demise at the hands of the police. In between, we get to see their love and struggles, the gang they assemble, and how they "perfected their craft" (for lack of a better phrase) from stealing gas stations and convenience stores to robbing banks and murdering cops.
Grade:
When we were living in New York, a friend who had just seen the premiere took us to see it-- he for a second time. I loved the movie. It was really the first of it's kind in the modern era, and the treatment was fresh with excellent contributors all around.

The movie did rather treat them like heroes, and pretty much was sympathetic to them. In actual fact however, they were cold blooded killers, and the depression era common man did not look up to them as little folks stealing from the rich. IOW the facts were reasonably close, but the portrayal of the characters' philosophy was way off.

Snooze factor = Z

I was worried it was heading to an ending I would hate but for me it had a
WARNING: "icarealot" spoilers below
satisfying end

^ That doesn't give away how it ends, I just put spoilers on in case the wording gave it away...

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Flora & Ulysses (2021) on Disney+. A family comedy/adventure about an adorable 10 year old girl and an adorable squirrel. The squirrel has superpowers. This movie was adorable. My rating is

'Dear Comrades' (2020)

Fantastic film focusing on the uprising in Novocherkassk, Russia in 1962. Black and white, lovely cinematography and a fabulous performance by Yuliya Vysotskaya. As with recent films like Loveless and Beanpole, there is a large focus on Russia as the motherland, and how the healing process or changing process is more or less a constant. Great film.

Well, this was pretty stupid. A bunch of small town religious wackos go after a woman who works as a psychologist at an abortion clinic and lives with her Sherriff Deputy boyfriend because she's, ya know, sinning all over the place. I got the impression that this wants to be taken seriously but every character in it, both sides, at some point, become complete morons. The religious nuts are so over the top goofy/evil that it's distracting. As for the other side, for the most part they acted pretty reasonable until all the **** hits the fan where they inexplicably turn into idiots. It does have a couple "money shots" which also take away from the credibility because they simply feel tacked on for shock value (and they aren't even money, them shots).

Demon Hunter (2005)

A fanboyish mixture of Buffy, World of Darkness, Constantine, and a plethora of other things a modern goth could admire. Fortunately, I'm somewhat receptive to these things myself. The immature script is the worst issue here. I didn't hate it, but I'm also thankful it was only 78 minutes.

I See You (2019)

This clever film starts out with all the makings of a horror or supernatural film, replete with kidnappings, unexplained phenomena, and creepy tension, but switches mid stream to an impressive mystery whodunit.

I'm not a horror fan, so after about 30 minutes I was just about to turn it off due to the feel, along with the over laden music score, when a sudden interesting plot twist galvanized my interest.

First time screenwriter Devon Graye has fashioned an inventive story that grabs the viewer's attention and glues them to their seats wondering what's coming next in the complex plot.

Apart from Helen Hunt and John Tenney, there are no veterans in this production. Yet the direction, cinematography and acting all present themselves in what feels like a more glossy Hollywood presentation.

I rather backed into this film while scrolling through available movies on Amazon Prime. I'm glad I did.

Doc's rating: 7/10

I've been meaning to watch that. It was received well at the time. What was good about it?
It is a film about life in a classroom by someone who has actually been in a classroom. I thought it did a great job of showing the way that, as a teacher, you have to walk this line between the personal and the professional. You have to be a human being to connect with your students, but it can be a delicate balance.

The film does a nice job of showing how teachers within the same building can have different philosophies. And it shows that, no matter how good your intentions, sometimes you can't make that connection.

I appreciated that the film allowed the students to articulate their frustrations. The movie doesn't feel like it's on anyone's side--it is sympathetic to all of them.

I thought that some parts were a little staged/cutesy feeling. I gave it a 7/10 on IMDb.

Rejoice and Shout, 2010

This documentary follows the history of gospel music and its roots in the African-American community.

I have very little to say about this film. I feel as though it was too much content being covered in a short time frame, and as a result a lot of the information feels too superficial. I kept thinking they were going to do more of a deep dive on a subtopic---force conversion of African slaves; gospel performers who also wrote naughty lyrics/songs; the intersection with the Civil Rights Movement--they would just move on.

What I will say is that the footage of old performances is fantastic. The footage of the songs has an energy and an immediacy that the film overall lacks.

Recommended if the topic interests you.