Musical
23.08%
12 votes
Noir
23.08%
12 votes
War
52 votes. You may not vote on this poll

So, there are always two types of responses to lists on a topic someone hasn't seen much:

1) I guess I can't participate, I haven't seen many!
2) I haven't seen many, I guess this is my opportunity to watch a bunch!

Consider #2! Some people specifically choose lists for things they haven't seen a lot of because they know it will motivate them to remedy that.
Yeah, I haven't seen too many musicals or classical noirs, for example, but if we do that list in the future, I'd be happy to use it for recommendations.

Totally reasonable to have 2-3 people. I think it's very important that one person still be the Curator, which is to say, they have total power and ultimately make all decisions, but if they want a person or two to help with logistics and/or graphics, and those people are willing, that's totally fine.

Inmate said something about running a Foreign Language countdown if he could get help with the graphics. I think Inmate would make a good countdown host.
i said i'd be down if we went with the regional option since i pushed so hard for it i figured i should put my money where my mouth is and do whatever it took to make it work, but if it's just a general foreign language list i'm not sure if i'd be passionate enough about it to be able to make hosting fit into my schedule. it's not entirely out of the question, but i'll have a lot going on at least until the end of may. also by "help with graphics" i pretty much meant "just doing all the graphics for me" because i have absolutely no aptitude for that kinda stuff, so if somebody volunteered for that job the chance of me being able to host might go up (unless they just wanted to host themselves).
criticker

i said i'd be down if we went with the regional option since i pushed so hard for it i figured i should put my money where my mouth is and do whatever it took to make it work, but if it's just a general foreign language list i'm not sure if i'd be passionate enough about it to be able to make hosting fit into my schedule. it's not entirely out of the question, but i'll have a lot going on at least until the end of may. also by "help with graphics" i pretty much meant "just doing all the graphics for me" because i have absolutely no aptitude for that kinda stuff, so if somebody volunteered for that job the chance of me being able to host might go up (unless they just wanted to host themselves).
Ah, I see what you're saying.

Well if you change your mind I'd throw my support behind you! I figure you've been around for a long time and would get the job done.

I'm sure it wouldn't start until after May

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm gonna do something a little different this time and try allowing multiple votes, so people can vote for each option they're okay with. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but let's give it a try in this case to maybe alleviate some of the usual vote-splitting/plurality winner stuff we discussed in the last thread.

I haven't voted yet, but I don't like the idea of multiple votes. All that does is it allows people to vote for everything that they have even the slightest interest in, without having to make a choice. Some people will vote for only 1 or 2 options, while others might vote for as many as 4 or 5 options. That's not an even playing field anymore, and it will skew the results.

IMO, everyone should get only one vote. That keeps it an even playing field.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I haven't voted yet, but I don't like the idea of multiple votes. All that does is it allows people to vote for everything that they have even the slightest interest in, without having to make a choice. Some people will vote for only 1 or 2 options, while others might vote for as many as 4 or 5 options. That's not an even playing field anymore, and it will skew the results.

I agree, my 2nd choice could be one I don't even like.

Well, if you don't like your second choice, it shouldn't be your second choice. You should vote for all the ones you like. If it turns out that's just one, then just vote once.

It doesn't actually lead to any unfairness, either, because even though some people can vote more than others, they can still only vote once per option. So the people who vote 4-5 times are not influencing the eventual winner any more than people who vote 1-2 times.

Let me know if I've misunderstood this position, of course.

Well, if you don't like your second choice, it shouldn't be your second choice. You should vote for all the ones you like. If it turns out that's just one, then just vote once.

It doesn't actually lead to any unfairness, either, because even though some people can vote more than others, they can still only vote once per option. So the people who vote 4-5 times are not influencing the eventual winner any more than people who vote 1-2 times.

Let me know if I've misunderstood this position, of course.
Correct.

Also, I doubt many people are voting for things they are only mildly interested in, as that would effectively dilute their votes for things they are more interested in seeing.

More importantly, it's a moot point. We're way beyond the point to debate this.

Now here's a question if Noir wins, are we only gonna do movies in Black and White or movies that contain some noir elements in it also? I would just stick with Black and White only because that's what noir is I believe

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Now here's a question if Noir wins, are we only gonna do movies in Black and White or movies that contain some noir elements in it also? I would just stick with Black and White only because that's what noir is I believe
That's complicated. There certainly are neo-noirs like Chinatown and The Long Goodbye that I would think should qualify.

That's complicated. There certainly are neo-noirs like Chinatown and The Long Goodbye that I would think should qualify.
I wouldn't mind that either, the movie Sin City had neo noir in it also I think

lol if we didn't have multiple choices, there would be an obvious winner which would probably be Foreign. Multiple choices gives more of a point to the poll other then pointless

I wouldn't mind that either, the movie Sin City had neo noir in it also I think
It was certainly influenced by Noir. You could also argue Brick is a noir. I think there will be a spirited debate when/if it comes up. I would hate to have it open to anything ever with noir elements as that would be sooo many films

Noir won't win. But one day I'd love if we did a Noir Countdown, I'd be up to hosting that too. But I can't do it right now, too busy with work.

Noir won't win. But one day I'd love if we did a Noir Countdown, I'd be up to hosting that too. But I can't do it right now, too busy with work.
It probably won't but was just wondering if it did since it's 2nd in the lead

It probably won't but was just wondering if it did since it's 2nd in the lead
I can see Noir is popular so I think we will end up doing it. Maybe we'll do a Foreign Language, then a Decades Countdown, then Noir. That's a ways away though.

I can see Noir is popular so I think we will end up doing it. Maybe we'll do a Foreign Language, then a Decades Countdown, then Noir. That's a ways away though.
Yea I would love to see a decades countdown after the genre countdown, which will probably be a revisited 2000's countdown before we do 2010's

Yea I would love to see a decades countdown after the genre countdown, which will probably be a revisited 2000's countdown before we do 2010's
I think a decades one after this countdown is only fair to all those who wanted it this time around.