A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

As we've discussed, Castle Of The Living Dead is a personal favorite.
Yep, and if you check out the trailer you'll see that Dr Sadism looks 100 times better than any other print I've ever seen. AND a complete horror anthology TV series from 1971?? Sign me the **** up!! (Preordered my copy yesterday. Mardi Gras is cancelled, so I felt like I owed myself some fun.)

I've seen most of the major and notable Hammer Films movies. Love that studio they still exist somehow.

The Lodge is my current #1 film from the horror films of 2020

1. The Lodge
2. Relic
3. The Vast of Night
4. Gretel and Hansel
5. Color out of Space
6. The Rental
7. Host
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater
10. The Hunt

Victim of The Night
Yep, and if you check out the trailer you'll see that Dr Sadism looks 100 times better than any other print I've ever seen. AND a complete horror anthology TV series from 1971?? Sign me the **** up!! (Preordered my copy yesterday. Mardi Gras is cancelled, so I felt like I owed myself some fun.)

Ya know what, I got confused.
Castle of the Walking Dead is the title under which I first saw The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism and I always get it mixed up with Castle Of The Living Dead.
It is Dr. Sadism that is my jam, I can't remember if I've seen CotLD or not.

Ya know what, I got confused.
Castle of the Walking Dead is the title under which I first saw The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism and I always get it mixed up with Castle Of The Living Dead.
It is Dr. Sadism that is my jam, I can't remember if I've seen CotLD or not.
An easy mistake, for sure. When I first saw it it was under the title "Pit and the Pendulum"! And IMDB is going with "The Blood Demon". (?) I hope this book comes with a giant flow chart that explains all the different titles..

As for Castle of the Living Dead, my only previous copy was the result of me VCR-ing it from TV a hundred years ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing it again for the first time in years.

Finished up season 1 of 30 Coins. It's ... not bad. There's some filler of the telenovela variety but it's negligible. The rest of the 8 episodes are filled with the usual gonzo, Alex de la Iglesia happenings. Nightmarish monsters, black magic, a mysterious cabal of renegade priests. And a gutsy heroine played by the comely Megan Montaner.

Here's the opening credits.

A system of cells interlinked

1. The Lodge
2. Relic
3. The Vast of Night
4. Gretel and Hansel
5. Color out of Space
6. The Rental
7. Host
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater
10. The Hunt
Interesting list, and I saw most of these...I think I would rank these flicks thusly...

1. Color out of Space
2. The Vast of Night
3. The Lodge
4. The Rental
5. The Hunt
6. Host
7. 1BR
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater

Didn't see Relic or Gretel and Hansel, and I added in 1BR to my list.

Finished up season 1 of 30 Coins. It's ... not bad. There's some filler of the telenovela variety but it's negligible. The rest of the 8 episodes are filled with the usual gonzo, Alex de la Iglesia happenings. Nightmarish monsters, black magic, a mysterious cabal of renegade priests. And a gutsy heroine played by the comely Megan Montaner.

Here's the opening credits.

I've never heard of this before. Those credits look quite awesome.

I've never heard of this before. Those credits look quite awesome.
It ran on HBO here in the states but it was an HBO Europe production. I don't know if you're familiar with any of de la Iglesia's stuff but he loves pushing boundaries and the buttons of the religious establishment. You probably already have but if you haven't you should try and catch The Day of the Beast (El dia de la bestia). It's actually quite hilarious.

It ran on HBO here in the states but it was an HBO Europe production. I don't know if you're familiar with any of de la Iglesia's stuff but he loves pushing boundaries and the buttons of the religious establishment. You probably already have but if you haven't you should try and catch The Day of the Beast (El dia de la bestia). It's actually quite hilarious.
I've seen The Day of the Beast, and maybe my expectations were too high, but I was slightly disappointed by it. It was OK, but I had hoped it would be more. I've had Witching & Bitching on my HDD for quite some time, but I haven't watched it yet.

I've seen The Day of the Beast, and maybe my expectations were too high, but I was slightly disappointed by it. It was OK, but I had hoped it would be more. I've had Witching & Bitching on my HDD for quite some time, but I haven't watched it yet.
I liked W&B. I liked The Last Circus as well. Those two and TDotB are the only movies of his I've seen. Maybe give those two a chance, see what you think.

I think Day of the Beast is his best movie, but I'm maybe more partial to Accion Mutante for the schlocky sci-fi.

Witching & Bitching was kinda fun, but one of the weakest & more juvenile I've seen from him. Last Circus and Perdita Durango are both better emblems of his exploitative style IMO. Common Wealth is very good too, and probably the most subdued dark comedy I've seen from him (with a Hitchcockian plot).

I didn't know about 30 Coins until now. The opening looks great. Like Iglesia's style turned up to 11. Will watch eventually.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Ju

1. The Lodge
2. Relic
3. The Vast of Night
4. Gretel and Hansel
5. Color out of Space
6. The Rental
7. Host
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater
10. The Hunt
Nice. I'll have to check all those out at some point. I'm so behind on 2020.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

1. The Lodge
2. Relic
3. The Vast of Night
4. Gretel and Hansel
5. Color out of Space
6. The Rental
7. Host
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater
10. The Hunt
Out of curiosity, have you seen The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw, Don't Listen, or Sputnik? If Letterboxd is to be trusted on the release year, they'd be my top-4 along with Underwater.

Out of curiosity, have you seen The Curse of Audrey Earnshaw, Don't Listen, or Sputnik? If Letterboxd is to be trusted on the release year, they'd be my top-4 along with Underwater.

Sputnik in on the way...didn't watch the other two...

1. The Lodge
2. Relic
3. The Vast of Night
4. Gretel and Hansel
5. Color out of Space
6. The Rental
7. Host
8. The Invisible Man
9. Underwater
10. The Hunt

the rest of the order for me right now

Swallow
I See You
The Beach House
You Should have Left
The Wretched
1BR
Come to Daddy
Synchronic
Let Him Go
Amulet
Tone Deaf
Antebellum
The New Mutants
Black Christmas
The Smiley Face Killers

Does anyone know if the Nightmare (1981) on Tubi is uncut? I don't want to waste my first viewing on a cut version, and the info on the uncut length seems to differ from source to source (Tubi version is 98 min 2 sec - there are discs for sale that claim to be uncut and are 98 min, according to IMDb the cut R-rated version is 97 min, but then they say that the uncut Australian version is 100 min which is longer than anything I've managed to find on the internet). Help, please.

EDIT: The "cover" on Tubi actually says uncut version. Maybe they're not lying.

Does anyone know if the Nightmare (1981) on Tubi is uncut? I don't want to waste my first viewing on a cut version, and the info on the uncut length seems to differ from source to source (Tubi version is 98 min 2 sec - there are discs for sale that claim to be uncut and are 98 min, according to IMDb the cut R-rated version is 97 min, but then they say that the uncut Australian version is 100 min which is longer than anything I've managed to find on the internet). Help, please.

EDIT: The "cover" on Tubi actually says uncut version. Maybe they're not lying.
I've only seen the version on Tubi but I remember it being pretty gruesome. My money's on uncut.

I'm a fan. Unbelievably nasty piece of work. Nothing but bad vibes.

I've only seen the version on Tubi but I remember it being pretty gruesome. My money's on uncut.

Review from my blog, if you're interested.*

When I first really started delving into the video nasties, one of the things I wanted to see was how many of the films had, to paraphrase Roth v. United States, “redeeming social value.” And I’ve been fairly lucky in the sense that the films I’ve seen have been pretty good on average. Certainly the films of Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci are made with an obvious level of artistry that could make them easy to appreciate even for more squeamish viewers. Films like The Boogeyman present distinct, idiosyncratic visions while others like The Last House on the Left are undeniably important entries in their genre. And even films with content I found particularly hard to take, like Cannibal Holocaust, are at least interesting on a formal level. Which makes Nightmares in a Damaged Brain a particular challenge. It’s crudely made and sleazy as hell, but I found myself strangely compelled by it. Can a film with seemingly little to distinguish it other than sheer nastiness be considered “good”?

When we first meet our main character, he’s a patient in a mental institution haunted by a recurring nightmare, an elliptical mishmash of good old fashioned BDSM and actual splatter (the camera lingers on a neck from which a head has been severed). He’s undergoing experimental treatment to suppress his violent urges and is due to be released under supervision with regular check-ins to a halfway house. First night out, he strolls down New York’s infamous 42nd Street, takes time to enjoy a sex show, and then, when he starts talking to a sex worker (in one of those glass wall/phone/masturbation type things, don’t ask me what they’re called), he has a seizure. This of course means he’s relapsed (as you could guess from the title, the depiction of mental illness isn’t the most progressive) and pretty soon he’s back to killing again.

While this is happening, we cut to scenes of a family where the son is an incorrigible little **** who plays unfunny pranks on his mother and sisters. The father is rarely referred to, the mother looks like a young Hillary Clinton and her boyfriend, who attempts to be a moderating influence on the piece of **** son who the mother has given up trying to reason with, resembles a bearded Jamie Gillis. (Hey, I’m just reporting the facts here.) As one can guess, pretty soon their paths will cross, while the psychiatrists from the institution (one of whom looks like a portly David Cross who sounds like John Pinette most of the time and Gilbert Gottfried when he’s exasperated) and we’ll finally get a clear look at the nightmare that’s been haunting the main character and uncover the mystery behind him once and for all.

Out of the video nasties I’d seen before this, the closest in tone would be Maniac and Don’t Go in the House, which are also about insane murderers and depict their actions in unflinching detail. But where those films go to great lengths to put you in the anguished emotional space of their protagonists, this never makes much effort to create empathy for its killer. And like I said, the filmmaking is extremely rudimentary, giving the proceedings the aesthetics of a home movie. But that’s really where the movie starts working for me, as it takes on a directness and immediacy that starts to get under your skin and makes the gore (which Tom Savini claims to have “advised” but not actually work on, despite his name being on the credits) have a palpable impact. Making the kid an unmitigated little monster also works in its favour in this regard, because it puts all the characters in credible danger. (When I watched The Untold Story, I thought of how American movies generally have some reservations about having bad things happen to children, while exploitation movies from other countries may not have such reservations. This movie isn’t above killing off kids.) The result is something that feels genuinely transgressive, like something we shouldn’t be watching. The glimpse of the Caligula poster in the 42nd Street scene plays like a dare. Want to see something reeeeaaaally ****ed up? Here you go.

Oh, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain is essential filth. And, as Rock says, Maniac and Don't Go into the House are good touchstones for understanding the vibe it is going for. It's not a nice movie, but not every movie should be.

I did end up watching it based on the fact that Tubi basically says it's uncut. It wasn't bad, but I don't consider myself a fan either. It had most of the ingredients for a nice, nasty film, but I found the writing to be rather bad. Nowhere near the quality of Maniac or The New York Ripper which are two immediate comparisons that come to mind.

It never really went anywhere with its psychology, and the computer-assisted police work was hilariously stupid. I remember seeing the final murder scene as a kid (I had a poor quality VHS copy, but I'm almost certain I never watched the whole film back then), and it's sort of gruesome and stylish but also poorly executed.

Those are definitely better (and better made) movies. But I really clicked with Nightmare's relative artlessness. There's a certain purity to its conceptual and stylistic ugliness.