Yes
5.08%
3 votes
No
59 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Here's a pretty substantial list of Russian/Soviet films I often return to:

https://www.listchallenges.com/best-...-former-soviet

Surprisingly, I haven't seen The Cranes Are Flying, but I plan to soon.

Thanks for the list! I've seen a few, and can say I'm not a Tarkovsky fan, but I'll try to check some out. There's this one site that has so many Russian movies, just can't remember if the subtitles were embedded.

Thanks for the list! I've seen a few, and can say I'm not a Tarkovsky fan, but I'll try to check some out. There's this one site that has so many Russian movies, just can't remember if the subtitles were embedded.

If you liked Mikhail Kalatazov at all, then you have to track down his film 'Letter Never Sent'. It's absolutely amazing.

Thanks - I actually had that on my watch-list. I've only seen "The Cranes Are Flying"

Are you referring to this site, perhaps?

https://sovietmoviesonline.com/

I'm thinking of subscribing to it as I hope to make a "Top 25/50/100 Russian/Soviet Films" thread for this forum someday.

Thanks - I actually had that on my watch-list. I've only seen "The Cranes Are Flying"
Personally I thought Soy Cuba was incredible. PTA totally stole the beginning of it for Boogie Nights.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
No. I hate foreign films. I only watch American films.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Are you referring to this site, perhaps?

https://sovietmoviesonline.com/

I'm thinking of subscribing to it as I hope to make a "Top 25/50/100 Russian/Soviet Films" thread for this forum someday.

No, that's not it, but I'll go look.

No. I hate foreign films. I only watch American films.

Oh, and uh, thanks for that Japanese movie recommendation, "The Yellow Handkerchief", same ballpark as "Il Sorpasso"

You have an advantage being where you are, and having the knowledge you do, so you should feel a little obligated to share your wisdom. You can't complain about "American Mainstream Mindless Movies" with a post like that. You have your chance to open the hearts and minds of the hungry.

I guess it really depends on how the movie was subbed. I speak passable Japanese, so when I watch a movie in Japanese, the subtitles are generally terrible at providing much in the way of nuance or humor. You need to understand the language as well as the culture to really get what is being communicated on screen. It's a lot like being a kid and watching a romantic drama. You kinda understand that Bob and Jane like each other, but don't understand why it's a problem for Jane to be kissing Bill.

One movie that tackles this problem quite well is The Shrine. There is a lot of dialogue in Polish with no subtitles. The reason for this is that the viewer isn't supposed to know what is being said. In fact, I've read that Polish speakers say that the actual dialogue is laughable. Fortunately, I don't speak Polish, so I get the chance to be thoroughly confused which is exactly how it is when I land in a foreign country and try to figure out what's going on.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Yes and No. I can't stomach Bollywood, and the amount of movies Netflix bombards me with from that category. It just feels like an extension of me being targeted by annoying telemarketing. Other than that, I own some foreign movies and even some tv shows.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I guess it really depends on how the movie was subbed. I speak passable Japanese, so when I watch a movie in Japanese, the subtitles are generally terrible at providing much in the way of nuance or humor. You need to understand the language as well as the culture to really get what is being communicated on screen. It's a lot like being a kid and watching a romantic drama. You kinda understand that Bob and Jane like each other, but don't understand why it's a problem for Jane to be kissing Bill.

One movie that tackles this problem quite well is The Shrine. There is a lot of dialogue in Polish with no subtitles. The reason for this is that the viewer isn't supposed to know what is being said. In fact, I've read that Polish speakers say that the actual dialogue is laughable. Fortunately, I don't speak Polish, so I get the chance to be thoroughly confused which is exactly how it is when I land in a foreign country and try to figure out what's going on.
This is interesting. One thing that takes me out of subtitles in foreign films is how they try to "American-ize" the dialogue. Like in Parasite (2019), they mention The Miranda laws. I'm no expert law and culture, but would they actually call their similar law, the Miranda act, there?

Or how in Confession of Murder (2012), they mention the FCC, even though I don't a company in South Korea would be called the FCC.

If I feel they're good, then yes; if not, then no... what an odd question.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Do You Like Foreign Movies?
To be clear, when I mean "foreign", I mean movies that are NOT in English, since we speak English here.

I haven't seen a lot of foreign (non-English) movies, but I don't think this is a "yes or no" question. As with any English-speaking movies, there are going to be good movies and bad movies.

I don't watch foreign movies, but that's mainly because I don't like reading subtitles. If those same movies were dubbed in English, I would be more likely to watch them.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oh, and uh, thanks for that Japanese movie recommendation, "The Yellow Handkerchief"
Huh?

Does that look Japanese to you?! :P

God, it looks awful.

You have an advantage being where you are, and having the knowledge you do, so you should feel a little obligated to share your wisdom.
Stop acting as if I never did. I have my life, too, you know! (Life in movies)

You have your chance to open the hearts and minds of the hungry.
Yes, every now and then I serve some tasty dish and leave it out for them to grab it. Don't expect me to stuff it down their throats.

I don't watch foreign movies, but that's mainly because I don't like reading subtitles. If those same movies were dubbed in English, I would be more likely to watch them.
Sorry but that is just all sorts of wrong. Dubbing is absolutely awful. You lose all sense of the tone, the atmosphere and also the actor's performance. Most of the time you're just listening to someone read the script who wasn't there when the Director was issuing instructions on how they wanted the part played.

If I was King of the World I'd ban dubbing.

I've never seen a dubbed movie, but I don't mind the alternative. There's some great movies my parents will never see because they aren't good readers.

I've never seen a dubbed movie, but I don't mind the alternative. There's some great movies my parents will never see because they aren't good readers.
La Strada is dubbed.
Both Anthony Quinn and Richard Basehart's voices were dubbed into Italian by other actors.
Italian films with no Italian speaking actors often end up dubbed.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Would dubbed movies be more acceptable if they were really well dubbed, such as as good as Gert Frobe was dubbed in Goldfinger?