Next Countdown: decade, or something else?

Tools    

What kind of countdown should we do next?
48.28%
28 votes
Decades List (2000s, 2010s)
51.72%
30 votes
Anything Else (Comedies, Noir, Foreign, etc.)
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just two votes now, but yeah, this is probably hit. Few more hours.

And yeah, I'll pick a deadline for the next one in advance, I think, to avoid drama. The real thing is going to be deciding what goes on it and whether to use ranked choice or something complicated like that, since otherwise we could have something "win" with just a modest plurality of the vote.
I'd say it's nature of the beast. I don't see a specific option running away with the vote. But will be interesting to see.

I think regardless we should just be happy about starting another countdown in the next 6 months

Okay, that's that: Anything Else wins. We'll talk about this a bit soon and hopefully have the second poll up this week, but we'll probably move faster after that.

Okay, that's that: Anything Else wins. We'll talk about this a bit soon and hopefully have the second poll up this week, but we'll probably move faster after that.
About damn time

We should try to get 12 poll options for the next poll, it would make the poll more interesting I think

Foreign
Noir
Sequels
Remakes
Action
Black & White Films
Comedy
Fantasy
Musicals
War
and need two more to make 12 or unless you have an idea in mind to chop things down, just thought to throw this idea out

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I would very much like to keep the options minimal. It should be things with at least a plausible chance at winning.

I know not getting your first choice is kinda standard, but I think we collectively underestimate how that makes this stuff feel, so I'd like to minimize it where possible.

Here's my first blush thoughts on poll options. NOT OFFICIAL, DO NOT GET PREEMPTIVELY MAD.
  • Comedy
  • Foreign
  • Noir
  • Sequels & Remakes (maybe just Sequels?)
  • Musicals
I haven't seen a lot of evidence that other options have much chance of winning, realistically, but I'm open-minded.

Thoughts? Would prefer to just get a simple opinion from people and not have people argue over said opinions too much. Also would like to note that there's a "cost" to having more options (it's okay if you disagree with that idea, but that's the idea I'm operating under), so I don't think we should add a bunch more to be "safe." So I'm mostly just wondering if I'm forgetting an option that could very plausibly win.

Here's my first blush thoughts on poll options. NOT OFFICIAL, DO NOT GET PREEMPTIVELY MAD.
  • Comedy
  • Foreign
  • Noir
  • Musicals
I haven't seen a lot of evidence that other options have much chance of winning, realistically, but I'm open-minded.

Thoughts? Would prefer to just get a simple opinion from people and not have people argue over said opinions too much. Also would like to note that there's a "cost" to having more options (it's okay if you disagree with that idea, but that's the idea I'm operating under), so I don't think we should add a bunch more to be "safe." So I'm mostly just wondering if I'm forgetting an option that could very plausibly win.
For the Sequels and Remakes - I would consider just doing Sequels more movie choices, remakes might be tough to do. Probably for a top 50 list but for top 100 imo will be a hard one to do. Doing both might seem hard also because you know how it's gonna turn out "A remake beat a sequel, that's dumb." like the shame that some people get when a remake goes over the original lol

As for the 5 you listed, add in action and then it's all good, since Action didn't have an official countdown maybe some might want it this time. 5 or 6 options is plenty if you want to minimize it

• Comedy
  • Foreign
  • Noir
  • Musicals
From what I remember from doing the last two countdown polls, those would seem to be the most popular choices.
Also would like to note that there's a "cost" to having more options (it's okay if you disagree with that idea, but that's the idea I'm operating under), so I don't think we should add a bunch more to be "safe."
That makes sense to me.

So I'm mostly just wondering if I'm forgetting an option that could very plausibly win.
War films, perhaps?

Please say you're not actually seriously considering putting a Sequels & Remakes option in there ahead of stuff like War or Action.

From what I remember from doing the last two countdown polls, those would seem to be the most popular choices.
That makes sense to me.

War films, perhaps?
It would be cool to see a war films option on the poll I wouldn't mind that actually

Hey, I meant this:

It's a jumping off point. I'm asking for opinions.

One thing to consider, however, is not just which is more interesting, but which is more discretely defined. I'm personally a lot more interested in War/Action than Sequels & Remakes, but the former will involve a lot of tricky stuff about classification and the latter won't.

Hey, I meant this:

It's a jumping off point. I'm asking for opinions.

One thing to consider, however, is not just which is more interesting, but which is more discretely defined. I'm personally a lot more interested in War/Action than Sequels & Remakes, but the former will involve a lot of tricky stuff about classification and the latter won't.
If you consider War/Action over Sequels and remakes then I'm on board with that, it won't make me mad if Sequels and Remakes are not a poll option, there just ideas from me so np

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'd keep it the way the poll asked... "Foreign, Noir, Comedy"

Of course I want "foreign", mostly because its an untapped resource, and we have a lot of foreign movie fans who refrain from discussing much because others haven't seen them...

AND, we have a lot of people outside English speaking countries who could enlighten us all.

• Comedy
  • Foreign
  • Noir
  • Musicals

I like the idea of comedy, foreign, noir, and musicals. I think just those 4 options in the poll would be good.

The trick is not minding
Comedy
Foreign
Noir
War
Musicals
These are what seem to be the most popular options available, from what I’ve seen.
I’d be fine with the poll just including them.

Foreign and Action would be my favorites. I personally think action would be much more interesting than war.
But would Action include War?

Don't actually answer that, that's just the kind of argument we're inevitably going to have.

I would love foreign films, partly for selfish reasons. I could get to talk about certain Indian films, and even if they won't make the final list, I would be happy if I could entice people to watch some hidden gems.

And I have a suggestion. Don't exclude English speaking movies from Foreign films. Some movies from say New Zealand, Australia or even India aren't really Hollywood productions and technically foreign films but made in English language.

• Comedy
  • Foreign
  • Noir
  • Musicals
I think all of those are good picks except 'sequels and remakes'. Even if it can make for a fun countdown, I haven't seen anyone express interest in it. Like other people are saying in the thread, replacing it with action might be a good idea.

As for the list I'd vote for? Musicals or foreign.

I think all of those are good picks except 'sequels and remakes'. Even if it can make for a fun countdown, I haven't seen anyone express interest in it. Like other people are saying in the thread, replacing it with action might be a good idea.

As for the list I'd vote for? Musicals or foreign.
Replacing Sequels and Remakes with Action, I love that idea.

I'd vote for Action or Comedy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I like War over Sequels and Remakes. I think War should just be what people deem it to be. If it gets votes, it gets votes. As long as people don't get silly with it