Next Countdown: decade, or something else?

Tools    

What kind of countdown should we do next?
48.28%
28 votes
Decades List (2000s, 2010s)
51.72%
30 votes
Anything Else (Comedies, Noir, Foreign, etc.)
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Basically if someone thinks that a movie is funny, it should be eligible for their list. If a lot of people agree with them, then it will most likely make the countdown, but if they have some weird sense of humor, and nobody else agrees with them, then it won't make the countdown anyway.
A reasonable position, but I think the contrary position is reasonable, too: that maybe as few as two people with the same weird sense of humor (or disinterest in genre classifications) may be able to put something on the countdown all by themselves. Imagine a really schlocky horror film, for example. Or any number of amusing films that are clearly at least not comedies as their primary genre. Would it bug you if Die Hard made it, for example?

I think even people's idea of "funny" probably varies. To most of us I think it means genuine laughter. To some, maybe just a low current of constant amusement, so they can honestly say something that nobody would primarily classify as a comedy is still "funny" to them.

I'm not really taking any side here, I'm just noting that these are legitimate disagreements and they always come up, and there isn't any system that can resolve them.

Just thought to state this just incase we do a Comedy list but all we need to do is just go on IMDB or Letterboxd and if you see the first genre as Comedy on the movie title then it counts, Billy Madison. Yep. Step Brothers. Yep. Blazing Saddles. Yep. Annie Hall, sure even though it wasn't a funny laugh out loud movie it still says comedy as the first thing listed. Now if both say different, I would go with the site that's been around the longest which is IMDB.

Also never mind what movie is the funniest, cuz the funniest can be anything, heck with my weird humor with some horror movies I can just say those are the funniest O_o when there not to some other people.
Like Yoda just posted any method of movie countdown eligibility can work, but also won't be perfect...

With that said I favor some sort of genre tag as the deciding factor. If the host has the power to pick and choose which films are in, then that causes some people to cry unfair and can be a big headache for the host too. The genre tags ain't perfect, but if stated as in use before the first question of eligibility is asked at least it can be viewed as impartial.

I remember Nostro got hammered on when he hosted the Horror countdown because someone's favorite comedy horror wasn't going to be included....Finally he did end up switching to using genre tags, but not before the entire countdown became uncomfortable due to the arguing. That's why I favor genre tags, maybe not perfect but it can avoid someone taking it personally when their movie isn't included by the countdown's host.

Yeah, those tags seem to be the best option. I just like to note that "best" is not the same as perfect. Fights will still happen. But it's incumbent on the Curator to anticipate this, pick clear and thought-out (in advance of the announcement) criteria, and stick firm to it absent really compelling evidence of an obvious flaw or oversight.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A reasonable position, but I think the contrary position is reasonable, too: that maybe as few as two people with the same weird sense of humor (or disinterest in genre classifications) may be able to put something on the countdown all by themselves. Imagine a really schlocky horror film, for example. Or any number of amusing films that are clearly at least not comedies as their primary genre. Would it bug you if Die Hard made it, for example?

I'm probably in the minority here in that it doesn't bother me if something like Die Hard made it onto the Comedy list because if enough people voted for it to make it high enough to place, then I just assume that it has some humor in it, but it's just not my type of humor.

It wouldn't even bother me if something like Dead Alive made the Comedy list, (I'm sure some people here know why I'm specifically mentioning this movie for the comedy list), however if something like Schindler's List made it onto the countdown, I might have to rethink this idea.

I didn't think it made sense to limit the movies in the other genres either, because it left out movies that several people thought should have been eligible, but it didn't bother me that they were limited either.

I just think of these countdowns as something fun to do where we can all express our opinions about these movies, and compare them to other people's opinions. This isn't a contest to see how many of the movies on my list, or anyone else's lists, make the countdown. It's just about finding out what movies other people love, and maybe finding other people who you might not have known also love the same movies that you love.

I'm probably in the minority here in that it doesn't bother me if something like Die Hard made it onto the Comedy list because if enough people voted for it to make it high enough to place, then I just assume that it has some humor in it, but it's just not my type of humor.

It wouldn't even bother me if something like Dead Alive made the Comedy list, (I'm sure some people here know why I'm specifically mentioning this movie for the comedy list), however if something like Schindler's List made it onto the countdown, I might have to rethink this idea.

I didn't think it made sense to limit the movies in the other genres either, because it left out movies that several people thought should have been eligible, but it didn't bother me that they were limited either.

I just think of these countdowns as something fun to do where we can all express our opinions about these movies, and compare them to other people's opinions. This isn't a contest to see how many of the movies on my list, or anyone else's lists, make the countdown. It's just about finding out what movies other people love, and maybe finding other people who you might not have known also love the same movies that you love.
If anyone thinks Die Hard is a comedy movie is a goofball .

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Like Yoda just posted any method of movie countdown eligibility can work, but also won't be perfect...

With that said I favor some sort of genre tag as the deciding factor. If the host has the power to pick and choose which films are in, then that causes some people to cry unfair and can be a big headache for the host too. The genre tags ain't perfect, but if stated as in use before the first question of eligibility is asked at least it can be viewed as impartial.

I remember Nostro got hammered on when he hosted the Horror countdown because someone's favorite comedy horror wasn't going to be included....Finally he did end up switching to using genre tags, but not before the entire countdown became uncomfortable due to the arguing. That's why I favor genre tags, maybe not perfect but it can avoid someone taking it personally when their movie isn't included by the countdown's host.
Yea I saw that in the horror countdown, although there were a few movies on there that weren't horror and just had that little horror element in it without horror being the first main genre of the movie. I don't want to name any movies here, since I would hate to hijack this thread, unless yoda doesn't mind me naming some of the movies

The margin is still three, and it's been five days. Gonna leave this up for at least 2-3 more, maybe longer if it stays super close.

Will probably post some notices or tweet about it, too. If you haven't voted yet, please do!

The margin is still three, and it's been five days. Gonna leave this up for at least 2-3 more, maybe longer if it stays super close.

Will probably post some notices or tweet about it, too. If you haven't voted yet, please do!
20 to 24, if it's like this atleast until Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, I would decide a winner, not to sound pushy or anything but I think genre got this one in the bag

If it's still around that margin (or higher) in a few days, probably. But wanna make sure there's not a handful of people who might check the Twitter or Shoutbox and not notice the thread.

Uh, to clarify, the voting is still open and probably will remain open for a few more days, so I hope nobody sees that and doesn't vote as a result. I'll close the poll when voting is actually over, so if you're able to vote, you still can, and should.

The margin is currently two, and it was like seven the other way at one point, so I'm gonna say this could go either way.

Hmm. I'm tempted to devise some absurd tiebreaker, but in all seriousness I'd probably just a) ask people to PM me if they want to switch their vote and/or b) specifically PM people who haven't voted and let them know we need their help.