Next Countdown: decade, or something else?

Tools    

What kind of countdown should we do next?
48.28%
28 votes
Decades List (2000s, 2010s)
51.72%
30 votes
Anything Else (Comedies, Noir, Foreign, etc.)
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The trick is not minding
I hear ya, and thanks to the Pre 1930s Countdown I discovered a new passion for old silent films
Yeah, there’s a few other silent films available on Amazon I plan to watch. Like the first Tarzan film from 1918. A few others here and there.

I am glad we did a Pre-'30s List. But only thirty-one people participated and it yielded a Top 50. I know it was fun for the handful of folks who took part in it, and CR you in particular always do an admirable job of setting out to watch and discover new films. But the fact is most people here are simply not going to do deep dives, be it a lack of time, resources, or interest. Works brilliantly for the Hall of Fames but most don't put that kind of effort in.
I would say it is OK if we do an occasional Countdown that is not hugely popular. I'd say the smaller more focused ones then make the next bigger countdown all the more fun. But answer me this, you seem to be stumping very hard for a decades one next, are you wanting to host it?

I would be interested to see everyone's comedy taste

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I would say it is OK if we do an occasional Countdown that is not hugely popular. I'd say the smaller more focused ones then make the next bigger countdown all the more fun. But answer me this, you seem to be stumping very hard for a decades one next, are you wanting to host it?
Fu*k no. I am out of the hosting business. Two is my limit.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fu*k no. I am out of the hosting business. Two is my limit.
OK, thanks for answering. I was wrong then, I had thought perhaps you were wanting to host again but not a genre one.

As you remember I said several times you did one helluva a solid job with the Western countdown! AND that was my favorite countdown of all time. BTW I'm still watching westerns from the spreadsheet list that you posted. Last night I watched A Big Hand for a Little Lady (didn't care for it).

obviously we want as much participation as possible but i don't think it's a big deal if some countdowns have a relatively smaller number of participants as long as we're trying something new and interesting. this is a community for people who love movies and as such it's nice to at least try to encourage people to seek out new stuff rather than simply reaffirming the canon every six months. ultimately we can't force anyone to expand their horizons, but the more who are willing to commit to it, the stronger the community becomes as a whole in its depth of cinematic knowledge and breadth of taste. we already have a pretty universally accessible countdown every year and that's the decade countdown; the off-season countdowns should be a time to branch out imo. i think we could get at least 40-50 members for a french countdown and that'd be just fine (i'd even host it [if somebody did the graphics]). the only good excuse for not participating would be if you have some sort of diagnosable problem that makes subtitles especially difficult, in which case i'd completely understand and you have my utmost sympathy.
criticker

Dammit! Decades is losing, if genre wins, hopefully there's a lot of options. I think the only ideas we got so far are Foreign, Comedies, Noir, Sequels and Remakes. If I missed any other ideas my bad.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Yeah, it's obviously fine if some of these aren't as "popular." 45-50 sounds like plenty. The real question is whether that's optimistic, because there is some point at which the number would be low enough that it would defeat the entire purpose. I don't think you can even make a decent Top 50 out of, say, a couple of dozen ballots.

Dammit! Decades is losing, if genre wins, hopefully there's a lot of options. I think the only ideas we got so far are Foreign, Comedies, Noir, Sequels and Remakes. If I missed any other ideas my bad.
I believe Yoda already said that the genre poll includes any genre ideas that might prove to be popular, he just didn't have the room in the thread title to list them all.

I've done two 'what countdown should be next' threads with polls and at that time the most popular genera ideas were these (in no particular order):

Action
Black & White Films
Comedy
Fantasy
Foreign Language
Musicals
Noir
War
Blockbusters

Yeah, it's obviously fine if some of these aren't as "popular." 45-50 sounds like plenty. The real question is whether that's optimistic, because there is some point at which the number would be low enough that it would defeat the entire purpose. I don't think you can even make a decent Top 50 out of, say, a couple of dozen ballots.
yeah definitely. i'm basing my 40-50 estimate off the assumption that the pre-30s list is the lower limit of possibilities given that silent film is probably the hardest type of film to get people interested in, more so than even foreign films. plus it seems we've had a recent influx of more adventurous cinephiles in the past year or so who would certainly participate, but of course potential engagement will become clearer when we have a genre poll.

I believe Yoda already said that the genre poll includes any genre ideas that might prove to be popular, he just didn't have the room in the thread title to list them all.

I've done two 'what countdown should be next' threads with polls and at that time the most popular genera ideas were these (in no particular order):

Action
Black & White Films
Comedy
Fantasy
Foreign Language
Musicals
Noir
War
Blockbusters
Didn't you guys just have an action countdown list in 2016? I would love to have another one though and this time be apart of it.

The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

A lot of MoFos didn't want to do a Pre-30s (mostly silent film) Countdown. They though those movies were boring or too old. Some MoFos wanted to include the Pre 30s in the 1930s Countdown that I hosted.

Even though the Pre 1930s had a lighter ballot turnout, I'm so glad Chyp decided to host it. For some of us MoFos it was one of the most rewarding countdowns we did. IMO the site needs a balance of populist countdowns where we cheer our favorite movies...and also more focused countdowns where we can delve more deeply into film sub-categories like we did with the Pre 1930s.
Completely. I am bummed I wasn't around when that one happened.

I mean we just did the most populist list possible. I think doing a more focused one that challenges people is a great idea.

Just thought to state this just incase we do a Comedy list but all we need to do is just go on IMDB or Letterboxd and if you see the first genre as Comedy on the movie title then it counts, Billy Madison. Yep. Step Brothers. Yep. Blazing Saddles. Yep. Annie Hall, sure even though it wasn't a funny laugh out loud movie it still says comedy as the first thing listed. Now if both say different, I would go with the site that's been around the longest which is IMDB.

Also never mind what movie is the funniest, cuz the funniest can be anything, heck with my weird humor with some horror movies I can just say those are the funniest O_o when there not to some other people.

I know we'll get some complaining and some people go on about what should be a comedy and what should not be, but that's going to happen in all genre lists.

As for me hosting any list, especially the comedy one I'm good with that even though as it seems like too much work.

Feel free to share your advice to what I said

Didn't you guys just have an action countdown list in 2016? I would love to have another one though and this time be apart of it.
Yes and no. There was one, but it was "unofficial." Omni just decided to do it. Obviously this is community-run, but part of that means the community as a whole talking it out. People can do their own but we consider those "outside" of the process, since the open and collaborative nature of picking what goes next is a big part of it.

Just thought to state this just incase we do a Comedy list but all we need to do is just go on IMDB or Letterboxd and if you see the first genre as Comedy on the movie title then it counts, Billy Madison. Yep. Step Brothers. Yep. Blazing Saddles. Yep. Annie Hall, sure even though it wasn't a funny laugh out loud movie it still says comedy as the first thing listed. Now if both say different, I would go with the site that's been around the longest which is IMDB.

Also never mind what movie is the funniest, cuz the funniest can be anything, heck with my weird humor with some horror movies I can just say those are the funniest O_o when there not to some other people.

I know we'll get some complaining and some people go on about what should be a comedy and what should not be, but that's going to happen in all genre lists.

As for me hosting any list, especially the comedy one I'm good with that even though as it seems like too much work.

Feel free to share your advice to what I said
Most of the time this is fine, and obviously this kind of thing would "work" in the sense of providing a clear standard that will produce a lot of intuitive results...but there are always edge cases. Films weirdly missing a label or (more likely) films with a label like "Comedy" just because they contain a little dark humor.

Trust me when I say there will be edge cases and people will get worked up about it. So it's not that people can't come up with pretty good standards, or draw the line. They can, and they do. But it's literally impossible to do in a way that makes everyone happy, because people have axiomatically different ideas about what it means to belong to these genres. They also sometimes just really want a film they like to qualify, whether they say that's the reason or not.

OK, thanks for answering. I was wrong then, I had thought perhaps you were wanting to host again but not a genre one.

As you remember I said several times you did one helluva a solid job with the Western countdown! AND that was my favorite countdown of all time. BTW I'm still watching westerns from the spreadsheet list that you posted. Last night I watched A Big Hand for a Little Lady (didn't care for it).
Not big fan of westerns but Holden did a great job with that westerns countdown list especially the graphics and introduction on there when viewing the list. it looked like I was reading something from the Red Dead Redemption video game (just incase you don't know, it's a Western video game.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
We could do a decade and a genre countdown back to back, utilizing the same watch period. I mean 4-6 months for a watch period is more than enough time to put together two separate voting ballots. Then the countdowns could be run one right after the other one is done.

After reading ahead in this thread a little bit, it doesn't sound like anyone is interested in doing two countdowns at the same time, but if it becomes a possibility, I'd be against this. I know that this works for the HoFs, but it's not the same as preparing for two countdowns simultaneously. The HoFs have a set number of movies, and an average viewing time of 1 movie per week, but the countdowns have an almost limitless number of movies to watch for them, and not enough time to watch all of them.

I always wait until the last day or two to submit my list because I try to watch as many movies as possible before finalizing my list, and if we were doing two countdowns at the same time, I wouldn't be able to watch as many movies for each list. Plus, if I were more interested in one countdown over the other, chances are that the one that I was less interested in would suffer because I would most likely just watch more movies for the countdown that I prefer, and very few movies for the other one.

Let the night air cool you off
I voted for anything else. I'd be interested in a comedy countdown or a non-english language countdown or some specific region (i.e. Asian, American, Japanese, British, etc. ) countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Most of the time this is fine, and obviously this kind of thing would "work" in the sense of providing a clear standard that will produce a lot of intuitive results...but there are always edge cases. Films weirdly missing a label or (more likely) films with a label like "Comedy" just because they contain a little dark humor.

Trust me when I say there will be edge cases and people will get worked up about it. So it's not that people can't come up with pretty good standards, or draw the line. They can, and they do. But it's literally impossible to do in a way that makes everyone happy, because people have axiomatically different ideas about what it means to belong to these genres. They also sometimes just really want a film they like to qualify, whether they say that's the reason or not.

I thought that comedy might be one of the easier genres to determine eligibility because it's a less strict genre than most other genres. Everybody has a different type of sense of humor, so the tags on IMDB and other sites shouldn't matter. Basically if someone thinks that a movie is funny, it should be eligible for their list. If a lot of people agree with them, then it will most likely make the countdown, but if they have some weird sense of humor, and nobody else agrees with them, then it won't make the countdown anyway.

(As I recall, there were a few movies that could have placed high on the horror countdown if they had been eligible for it, but they weren't because of poor genre tagging on IMDB. This would have solved that problem.)

I'd like a favorite Science-Fiction films consensus next, personally.