24th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Well, looks like I'm in for a ride
And here you thought you were the radical one with your wacky orgies and those painted penises and lesbians lesbianing while looking at each others' butts in the swimming pool.

Yeah, my bad. I edited the last part too late. I misread it.
As for the first, you’re splitting hairs over the comparison to begin with. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen sleepers, but I don’t recall any graphic depiction such as was portrayed in Glass Cage.

I want to point out, I did like Glass Cage, despite some icky parts.
I just don't see graphical depictions of pedophilia in In a Glass Cage. If you consider those murders pedophilia (which I don't, as Angelo doesn't appear to have a distinct sexual motive as Klaus had had), then there's some sort of depiction but I still don't consider it particularly graphical (there's a ton of more extreme violence shown in mainstream movies, just not generally towards children).

Anyway, I think I've made my stance clear. Maybe I'll have a vote before next HoF if people want me to participate or not. I don't want to piss people off, but I don't want to tiptoe with my nominations either.

The trick is not minding
I just don't see graphical depictions of pedophilia in In a Glass Cage. If you consider those murders pedophilia (which I don't, as Angelo doesn't appear to have a distinct sexual motive as Klaus had had), then there's some sort of depiction but I still don't consider it particularly graphical (there's a ton of more extreme violence shown in mainstream movies, just not generally towards children).

Anyway, I think I've made my stance clear. Maybe I'll have a vote before next HoF if people want me to participate or not. I don't want to piss people off, but I don't want to tiptoe with my nominations either.
Again, I’ve never said there was pedophilia in Glass Cage. I have said there was assault. My post was in reference to Jagten, and nothing else.
Anyways, this is just miscommunication here.
I don’t want you to hesitate nominating any films, and I even defended such nominations earlier. I may not like them, but that’s besides the point.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I find the comparison of Schindler's List to In a Glass Cage pretty insulting too, but I don't want an argument about that either

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
Was it involuntary? I thought the twist of the film was that the man who was captured, was a woman inside all the time. I think that's what the last scene showed.
it was so voluntary that he tried to kill himself, and begged the doctor to release him. I'd also remember that in the end he clearly told his mother that the sex change was forced upon him.
Yes of course, he was captured and forced into a sex change and is outraged by that act as he/she
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
kills the doctor in the end
What I meant by 'involuntary' is: I get the idea from the last scene in the clothing store, that the man in the beginning of the story might have had different gender identity feelings already present, so that in the end his/her fate didn't seem so horrible as she still loved the other woman and now has a chance at a relationship with her. That's how I interpret the film, but those points are left vague so can be interpreted differently. Anyway this is all moot, as it's not even a film in this HoF

Vampyr: This was my second watch of Vampyr. Dreyer's aesthetic is tremendous. There are many great looking scenes in this film. The use of shadows is tremendous. Unfortunately, after 4 films I don't find Dreyer great from a narrative standpoint. He's a little like eating plain toast. It gets the job done, I ain't spitting it out, but give me a little butter, a little jam. Sweeten that baby up. Make me laugh and cry a little. With this movie, part of the problem may be that I just don't care about vampire lore. Most of that stuff didn't interest me at all. Not a bad movie though, solid stuff.

I find the comparison of Schindler's List to In a Glass Cage pretty insulting too, but I don't want an argument about that either
Oh nothing to argue about, it's just point of view. The first time I watched one of your favorites, The Descendants, I found it super disturbing and I doubt anybody would have guessed that.

Oh nothing to argue about, it's just point of view. The first time I watched one of your favorites, The Descendants, I found it super disturbing and I doubt anybody would have guessed that.
I guess we all have different sense of disturbings. But I'd use the word sick for Glass Cage instead.

Vampyr

This was my second watch and it's films like this that I get real excited to see nominated. The film is almost 90 years old yet it still feels as fresh as ever. The highlights are the really cool score and the visuals, which I thought were fantastically restored. But the story and direction is pretty underrated too. This has to be Dreyers best story I've seen so far and he just feels like a guy who put a ton of effort into his work. Really good silent acting too I thought. I'm giving this a good rating yet I feel like I'm still underrating it because there really isn't a whole lot to pick on. But it also helps that I like these Vampire films too. Real good choice, hope it fares well!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Watched Barry Lyndon and The Day of the Jackal and hopefully will get reviews up by this weekend.

The Secret in Their Eyes (contains spoilers)

One question that always seems to come up in debates about capital punishment is whether death or the emptiness of a lifetime of incarceration is the harsher sentence. The Secret in Their Eyes makes a case for the latter in a way that's gripping and beautifully told. I like how the movie presents three flavors of this punishment and how it makes you question which one would be the hardest to endure. Besides the obvious in Isidoro Gómez's fate, there's widower Ricardo Morales, whose years are filled with grief and Benjamin Esposito, whose adulthood is one defined by regret. The movie also deserves credit for how elegantly it weaves these men's stories together as well as its two time periods. The way it switches between 1974 and 1999 and at just the right times as well as its obvious, but not too obvious time period identifiers like the costumes and Esposito's hair color is on par with how the first and third seasons of True Detective do this. There is plenty more to praise about the movie's crime story from Esposito's funny, eccentric and inebriated partner Sandoval to that dizzying "how did they shoot that?" soccer stadium chase, but it's even more successful as a love story. Ricardo Darin and Soledad Villamil's chemistry and the subtle ways their characters express their attraction is so endearing, which of course makes their failure to act upon them so wrenching. Thankfully, the way the movie concludes this story filled me with genuine and tearful elation. Again, this is a gripping and beautiful movie that is bound to make you reflect on any empty years you've had, the cause of the emptiness and which one is the worst. While the movie leaves that question open, it makes a strong case for Esposito's. However, he may be the only one of the three men who is willing or able to not let the rest of his years be empty.

The Secret in Their Eyes (contains spoilers)

One question that always seems to come up in debates about capital punishment is whether death or the emptiness of a lifetime of incarceration is the harsher sentence. The Secret in Their Eyes makes a case for the latter in a way that's gripping and beautifully told. I like how the movie presents three flavors of this punishment and how it makes you question which one would be the hardest to endure. Besides the obvious in Isidoro Gómez's fate, there's widower Ricardo Morales, whose years are filled with grief and Benjamin Esposito, whose adulthood is one defined by regret. The movie also deserves credit for how elegantly it weaves these men's stories together as well as its two time periods. The way it switches between 1974 and 1999 and at just the right times as well as its obvious, but not too obvious time period identifiers like the costumes and Esposito's hair color is on par with how the first and third seasons of True Detective do this. There is plenty more to praise about the movie's crime story from Esposito's funny, eccentric and inebriated partner Sandoval to that dizzying "how did they shoot that?" soccer stadium chase, but it's even more successful as a love story. Ricardo Darin and Soledad Villamil's chemistry and the subtle ways their characters express their attraction is so endearing, which of course makes their failure to act upon them so wrenching. Thankfully, the way the movie concludes this story filled me with genuine and tearful elation. Again, this is a gripping and beautiful movie that is bound to make you reflect on any empty years you've had, the cause of the emptiness and which one is the worst. While the movie leaves that question open, it makes a strong case for Esposito's. However, he may be the only one of the three men who is willing or able to not let the rest of his years be empty.
Hey all right, somebody watched and wrote about my nomination. I was starting to think it would never happen. I agree with every word you said and I'm very happy about it because I wondered if it was just me that had all those feelings, or if it was the movie. It seems that you can understand why I say the remake is useless because you can re-create the plot, but you can't re-create what makes the movie special. Glad you enjoyed it!

Hey all right, somebody watched and wrote about my nomination. I was starting to think it would never happen. I agree with every word you said and I'm very happy about it because I wondered if it was just me that had all those feelings, or if it was the movie. It seems that you can understand why I say the remake is useless because you can re-create the plot, but you can't re-create what makes the movie special. Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks, I saw it when it came out and I'm glad I had a good excuse to revisit it. I think it holds up very well.
To the rest of you: there's no reason to hesitate about watching this one. Get on it!

Vampyr

This was my 2nd time watching this movie. I had previously watched it for the 30's countdown and it was one of that decade's movies I was most looking forward to. Unfortunately I felt more like Sean than Raul, and I still do.

I've seen 4 of this director's movies and loved 1 of them, Ordet. Strange because my taste says it should be the other way around. From a technical standpoint this movie is excellent. The sounds and visuals are awesome but for me there's nothing to go with them. I just sit there stonefaced and can't get to the point where I care. I struggle to stay interested after 15 or 20 minutes and the movie isn't even long at all. Sorry to whoever nominated it but it should do well overall.

Saw Shame last night, so chalk up another one for me. Review soon.