Who is the better director
19.05%
4 votes
Cameron
80.95%
17 votes
Fincher
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

T2, Aliens and T1 seems atleast comparable to some of Fincher's great stuff I guess. Especially T2..
Yeah, T2 is basically what I was thinking of when I wrote that. And even then, it has a few cringeworthy moments that almost sink it. But the action is genuinely great and tense (and not just a showcase for special effects), and the limitations of the tech at the time meant Cameron had to blend genuinely cool effects (which changed the plot itself, rather than just existing to be gawked at!) with a lot of great practical ones. It's just enough technology to play to Cameron's strengths without letting him wallow in some Lucasesque CGI puddle just because he can. I don't think he'll top it.

He's great, I would say a 7-8/10 as a director especially since he writes and produces and creates his own stuff. There aren't many doing it, especially with that kind of budget.
There are hundreds, but agree not with that budget.

Not a benchmark like Scorsese or Cronenberg but I’d say he compares to other blockbuster directors such as (current) Ridley Scott, Del Toro, Jackson, Mendes, Cameron etc.
Hmmm, it depends what your definition of benchmark is I guess. There's alot more to cinema than Hollywood.

Yeah, T2 is basically what I was thinking of when I wrote that. And even then, it has a few cringeworthy moments that almost sink it. But the action is genuinely great and tense (and not just a showcase for special effects), and the limitations of the tech at the time meant Cameron had to blend genuinely cool effects (which changed the plot itself, rather than just existing to be gawked at!) with a lot of great practical ones. It's just enough technology to play to Cameron's strengths without letting him wallow in some Lucasesque CGI puddle just because he can. I don't think he'll top it.
It's my 5th favorite movie tbh, just entertaining and perfect from start to finish.. anyways I get your point but I thought this would be closer, especially after I saw that Nolan got some people backing him against Fincher.

There are hundreds, but agree not with that budget.

Hmmm, it depends what your definition of benchmark is I guess. There's alot more to cinema than Hollywood.
I don't think there are hundreds of current directors better than Nolan, but if you mean that they do their own original stuff or blockbusters then it’s probably true.

Someone like Wong-War-Kai, Coppola, Lynch, Scorsese I guess? I personally don’t love Lynch (I much prefer Fincher) as much as I do but the man is a known figure who left an impact over the genres he touched. What’s your definition?

Yeah, to be clear I don't think saying it's not close should be taken as a slight against asking the question. It's interesting to unpack why people feel one director is so much better than another, sometimes more interesting than unpacking why we prefer someone only slightly.

Yeah, to be clear I don't think saying it's not close should be taken as a slight against asking the question. It's interesting to unpack why people feel one director is so much better than another, sometimes more interesting than unpacking why we prefer someone only slightly.
I'd agree with that. But I think Fincher can be compared to most directors but I feel that people like Spielberg, Scorsese and Coppola are a bit above his pay grade.

PTA, Tarantino and maybe even the likes of Bong-John Hoo and Nolan would be fair comparisons? I made this after rewatching Gone Girl and True Lies lol

Thoughts on Fincher vs these directors? I'd say that a bit below the GOATs seems the fair rating.

Funny though that theyshootpictures ranks Cameron higher than Fincher in the list.

You ready? You look ready.
But, but...James Cameron has a neural net processor.

True Lies is probably the only movie of his that I can stand to watch these days. Sure, it's cheesy, over the top action but that's why I love it.

Sorry.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I think right now Fincher's average film quality is maybe as high as anyone's, so it's going to be more about breadth/range (if you care about that kind of thing--I think it's a tad overrated), perhaps, but definitely longevity. Easier to make nearly all good films when you haven't made as many, after all, or for as long. But if he maintains this quality level for another decade or two I'd put him up there, yes.

One possible argument against this is that we might look back and not see any Fincher films that were truly seminal, but it's not clear if that's a real mark against him or not, since a lot of the people we'd compare him to came along earlier and presumably had more opportunities for that kind of thing, too.

My Darth Star is in for a service
I voted on how many of their movies I own on disc so Cameron gets my vote.

T1 and T2 are in my top ten and like the majority of the other eight they have superb sound to go with the visuals.
I like my ears to get a workout as well as my eyes and for me Cameron does a better job of putting both in his movies.

I think right now Fincher's average film quality is maybe as high as anyone's, so it's going to be more about breadth/range (if you care about that kind of thing--I think it's a tad overrated), perhaps, but definitely longevity. Easier to make nearly all good films when you haven't made as many, after all, or for as long. But if he maintains this quality level for another decade or two I'd put him up there, yes.

One possible argument against this is that we might look back and not see any Fincher films that were truly seminal, but it's not clear if that's a real mark against him or not, since a lot of the people we'd compare him to came along earlier and presumably had more opportunities for that kind of thing, too.
I didn’t know that Fincher was rated this high, after seeing some lists. He’s still my 4th favorite director though.

I think range is just a plus, there are directors like Argento or Leone with limited or non -existent ranges yet they did a lot of good films.

I think we'll see at the end of his career, like Tarantino (who has only one movie left) but he has I think 10+ years of films still, so if he does another Se7en or Social Network I could agree with that.

You ready? You look ready.
I'll also add that the first two episode of House of Cards convinced me of Fincher's workmanship. Not that I needed those but dang, they are probably two of the best episodes of television I have seen in a long while.

I don't think there are hundreds of current directors better than Nolan, but if you mean that they do their own original stuff or blockbusters then it’s probably true.

Someone like Wong-War-Kai, Coppola, Lynch, Scorsese I guess? I personally don’t love Lynch (I much prefer Fincher) as much as I do but the man is a known figure who left an impact over the genres he touched. What’s your definition?
I just meant hundreds of writer directors. But there are certainly many better than Nolan. But it's just down to personal taste. I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise.

The definition of cinematic benchmark is difficult to define. It's whatever makes you tick, as the recent scorsese row showed, people are very divided on this. Personally I feel that great cinematic directors are those that can make beautiful, artful films that release emotions, inspire people and create thought (about the film) well after the film has ended. Not like a Big Mac, just consumed and forgotten about until 'Big Mac 2 - Return of the drive-thru'

I read someone say on another forum once that de Caprio was the best actor around because he always makes the studios so much money. That's such a frustrating comment to read. Literally not cared about how good he is at his job. I'd hate to think that way of thinking is quite prevalent.

I just meant hundreds of writer directors. But there are certainly many better than Nolan. But it's just down to personal taste. I'm not about to try and persuade you otherwise.

The definition of cinematic benchmark is difficult to define. It's whatever makes you tick, as the recent scorsese row showed, people are very divided on this. Personally I feel that great cinematic directors are those that can make beautiful, artful films that release emotions, inspire people and create thought (about the film) well after the film has ended. Not like a Big Mac, just consumed and forgotten about until 'Big Mac 2 - Return of the drive-thru'

I read someone say on another forum once that de Caprio was the best actor around because he always makes the studios so much money. That's such a frustrating comment to read. Literally not cared about how good he is at his job. I'd hate to think that way of thinking is quite prevalent.
I would agree with that, there are betters but not a very large amount of them. But speaking of what I enjoy, I personally have Fincher and Nolan as my favorites besides Marty and Spielberg (and Coppola tied for a a 2nd place) so agree to disagree.

So, someone like Malick or PTA who are more artistic? Scorsese's lastest films were pretty strong though.

That's a stupid statement, but I would say that DiCaprio is one of the best actors working today, with range and a very solid filmography. He's no DeNiro or DDL but I think he'll get a bit below them at the end of his career, like top 20.

A system of cells interlinked
This is probably unpopular but Zodiac's third act really hurt the film. Once the mystery is gone and the focus is in the detective, it gets a bit monotone.

Same issue with Fight Club, it’s a great film but the first two acts are far stronger than the third.
I think with Zodiac, the tonal shift is due to the film at least attempting to portray real life events in a fairly realistic way, even if it's clear Fincher took liberties with the material.

Hard disagree on Fight Club, though - the third act is bonkers, and is incredibly entertaining.

I must ask...what was the person's forum handle? Sounds a hell of a lot like a Dicaprio-obsessed guy that used to hang around here...

I must ask...what was the person's forum handle? Sounds a hell of a lot like a Dicaprio-obsessed guy that used to hang around here...
I genuinely can't remember. It was on a forum I rarely went on and made no note of it.

I think with Zodiac, the tonal shift is due to the film at least attempting to portray real life events in a fairly realistic way, even if it's clear Fincher took liberties with the material.

Hard disagree on Fight Club, though - the third act is bonkers, and is incredibly entertaining.

I honestly was disappointed in my first watch of Fight Club, I felt that Tyler was the best part of the film. I much prefer Se7en and Zodiac to it.

Even though Fight Club is more entertaining than Zodiac, I think Zodiac writing, cinematography and directing is great, the script is handled well but even though it’s realistic, I feel it could be short, because the mystery is gone and the hint that Arthur Leigh Allen was the killer is clear.

I do own all of Fincher's movies, so I might rewatch the ones I don’t see since a lot of time.

I think The Game is underrated though, the main issues are on the narrative and anti climatic ending but the cinematography, directing, acting is very strong and it’s well paced.

I genuinely can't remember. It was on a forum I rarely went on and made no note of it.
To extrapolate a bit, The argument here was that the guy really disliked Dicaprio, but said he was considered the best actor in Hollywood due to his box-office draw etc. Most of his arguments would degenerate into just so much number-crunching, with the quality of the film or the acting work being disregarded for box-office stats. If not the same guy, sounds like he was cut from the same cloth.

I honestly was disappointed in my first watch of Fight Club, I felt that Tyler was the best part of the film. I much prefer Se7en and Zodiac to it.

Even though Fight Club is more entertaining than Zodiac, I think Zodiac writing, cinematography and directing is great, the script is handled well but even though it’s realistic, I feel it could be short, because the mystery is gone and the hint that Arthur Leigh Allen was the killer is clear.

I do own all of Fincher's movies, so I might rewatch the ones I don’t see since a lot of time.

I think The Game is underrated though, the main issues are on the narrative and anti climatic ending but the cinematography, directing, acting is very strong and it’s well paced.

I like pretty much all of Fincher's stuff, even the Assembly Cut of Alien 3. I dislike the Theatrical cut of that film, though. The Game is really good, but I don't put it on a shelf with most of his stuff.

I like pretty much all of Fincher's stuff, even the Assembly Cut of Alien 3. I dislike the Theatrical cut of that film, though. The Game is really good, but I don't put it on a shelf with most of his stuff.
Yeah, he’s pretty great as you can see with my ratings. I think they’re all great films and he has like 1 good movie snd 2 that I don’t like. The only movie I don’t like is Panic Room but I’ll try the assembly cut of Alien 3 tomorrow since you reminded me.

The theatrical seemed an unfinished product, and really does not feel like a Fincher film and the fact he did Se7en just after makes the production issues more evident than his flaws as a filmmaker.