Suggestions for future countdowns

Tools    

my ideal schedule would look something like this (but of course i'll participate in whatever the board decides):
last half of 2020: 2010s
first half of 2021: all-time
last half of 2021: 2000s
first half of 2022: french films (or maybe just european cinema as a whole)
last half of 2022: 1990s
first half of 2023: japanese films (or maybe just asian cinema as a whole)
etc.

since we've done most of the easily-categorizable genres, i think it'd also be cool to explore the cinema of individual countries, or continents if countries is too narrow. especially since we might be starting a new cycle of decade lists, it makes sense to pick a new theme for the non-decade ones. foreign films are pretty underrepresented in the lists section and i like the idea of all of us really digging in to one specific place, but of course only if there's enough interest. i think most of us could easily come up with a list of 25 great films from places like france or japan, and we should be able to come up with a good list of 100 but it could become a top 50 if necessary.

i also think a favorite directors list would be really cool. it wouldn't be able to go in the lists section obviously, but i think it'd be worth doing at some point anyway.
reupping my foreign film proposal from the last suggestion thread. i like the idea of the two all-time lists as bookends for our exploration of film history and genre, and now if we're redoing all of film history it'd be cool to pair them with a different method of categorization than we've been using for the off-season countdowns, and i think doing deep dives into the cinema of different countries is a great way for everyone to expand their horizons. genre lists always create a big headache anyway. of course there might be a small few who are too turned off by subtitles and socialized medicine to partake in our fantastic voyage around the globe, but it is important we do not bow to the pressure of these uncurious philistines. they will be forced to either submit or perish.

my five-year plan:
1st half 2021: french cinema
2nd half 2021: 2010s
1st half 2022: japanese cinema
2nd half 2022: 2000s
1st half 2023: italian cinema
2nd half 2023: 1990s
1st half 2024: south american cinema
2nd half 2024: 1980s
1st half 2025: scandinavian cinema
2nd half 2025: 1970s
etc.

if people find individual countries to be too specific, we could always tackle continents or regions instead. the ones i listed are just a range of examples that would be a good jumping-off point.
criticker

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I would like to suggest that we continue to alternate decades and genre/other category (which could include foreign language films).

But the current all-time countdown could count as either, I guess, since anything could be nominated for it, so what's next could be anything.

Just had an idea... talk in the All Time thread with @seanc about Blade Runner and BR: 2049...A Sequels List.
Greatest Sequels Of All Time
A Sequels Countdown could be fun, but is there really a 100 great sequels? I mean most sequels blow! Maybe a Worst Sequels Countdown Hey, it could be fun!

But both ideas might be better if done as an unofficial and quick countdown. I nominate Rodent to run it

A Sequels Countdown could be fun, but is there really a 100 great sequels? I mean most sequels blow! Maybe a Worst Sequels Countdown Hey, it could be fun!

But both ideas might be better if done as an unofficial and quick countdown. I nominate Rodent to run it

This would be fun. I'd also be down for a "Top 25 Dark Comedies".

These kind of ideas and the genres are fun. I would love to see a Noir eventually. The problem is. like superhero and women directors. 100 is just way too many. Even at 50 they feel watered down with the participation we get.

If we start going the genre route, I would like to see lists of 25 with us submitting top tens.
Agreed. How about top 100 crime?

Re-upping this, does anyone object to starting the process described below? A quick two-option poll to decide whether the next list should be a decade or genre (genre really just meaning "anything other than decade," I'd include sequels in that for simplicity's sake)?

First poll: decade or genre? Second poll: which decade/genre? Allows people to have influence on the second choice even if the vote for something that didn't win in the first choice.
Also worth re-upping possible voting alternatives so more people get something they're at least content with:

There are a few ways to do it. Weighting like the ballots themselves can work, though usually Ranked Choice, as it's done in some actual elections and is currently done in the Oscars, IIRC, means ranking your choices, seeing if any film has a majority, and if not removing the lowest-scoring one and moving things up appropriately, and doing that until one of them has a majority, not just a plurality, of the first-place votes.

Re-upping this, does anyone object to starting the process described below? A quick two-option poll to decide whether the next list should be a decade or genre (genre really just meaning "anything other than decade," I'd include sequels in that for simplicity's sake)?

Also worth re-upping possible voting alternatives so more people get something they're at least content with:
If we do a two option poll, I wonder how long it would be left opened for I mean it's a good idea though since some might want a genre list and others might want a decade list.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I'll give people the weekend to object or not, throw out any other alternatives or opinions, and maybe we can look at starting the voting process next week.

I'll give people the weekend to object or not, throw out any other alternatives or opinions, and maybe we can look at starting the voting process next week.
I'm on board with your two poll idea. And a week for each poll sounds sweet too.

Can we talk about what countdown we want next and why? OR...should we wait tell the poll is up and finished?

Can we talk about what countdown we want next and why? OR...should we wait tell the poll is up and finished?
I guess it depends on what you mean, but if it's about the specific type, I guess there's no reason it can't happen after the first poll.

Now here's a question, if we decide to make sequels as a choice in the poll I wonder where that would land, genre or decade?

Now here's a question, if we decide to make sequels as a choice in the poll I wonder where that would land, genre or decade?
Genre, definitely, since there's nothing time-based about it.

"Genre" really means "anything that's not decade."

Genre, definitely, since there's nothing time-based about it.

"Genre" really means "anything that's not decade."
True, also putting it in genre gives us alot more movie choices then just putting it in a certain decade especially when it comes to sequels.

True, also putting it in genre gives us alot more movie choices then just putting it in a certain decade especially when it comes to sequels.
That's a good point and another good reason for doing Yoda's two poll idea.