The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

# 6
Pulp Fiction 1994 Quentin Tarantino

Love Pulp Fiction, had it at #10, been a fanboy since '94. I know the script by heart, of course I bought the same wallet as Jules, you know the one that says 'Bad Motherfrckr'. Also aced Chypmunk's pretty tough 'Pulp Fiction Quiz', I double dare you to take it mofos; https://www.movieforums.com/communit...php?quizid=110

Seen: 85/96

Ballot: 15/25
2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1992 (71)
3. The Godfather: Part II 1974 (35)
4. The Terminator 1984 (56)
5. Back to the Future 1985 (34)
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)
8. Once Upon a Time in the West 1968 (31)
10. Pulp Fiction 1994 (5)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 (42)
12. The Matrix 1999 (24)
13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1984 (DNP)

16. The Shawshank Redemption 1994 (16)
17. The Thing 1982 (20)
20. Rear Window 1954 (40)
23. Star Wars 1977 (78)
25. Lawrence of Arabia (15)

I’m a big ole Tarantino fanboy and I love Pulp Fiction, but it’s not my favorite of his and not the one I put on my list. Still glad to see it here though.

And since it’s probably not making the list I’ll say Inglourious Basterds was the one I voted for.

I actually rewatched Pulp Fiction a few months ago and it was just as great as I remembered it being, if not more so. With Tarantino, I often feel like his films don't even need thematic depth to qualify as great films (not to imply this film doesn't have thematic depth though). Oftentimes, the style of his films is more than enough to blow me away, as I believe is the case with this film. It's crammed with all kinds of great lines of dialogue and many great scenes (the 1950's themed restaurant, the heroin overdose, Butch encountering Vincent in his apartment, the pawn shop sequence, Jules and Vincent confronting Brett, or the diner sequence). And, of course, the redemptive themes involving the three main characters are great. It's a great film to watch with either your brain turned on or off. It didn't make my list, but I'm happy to see it here so high.

PULP FICTION: It might be Tarantino's best. I don't know. I really don't. I think by any standardized metrics, it is the most successful at being Tarantinoesque, without crawling up its own ass. But, as one of those rare specimens who thinks his later work is more interesting than his earlier work, I'm clearly a fan of him going full-on ass excavation. Which is probably why Pulp Fiction didn't make my list, nor did any Tarantino, because I just didn't want to get into figuring out which one belonged.

Pulp Fiction is the movie that allowed QT to prove to himself that his weird hybrid of exploitation films, French and American New Wave and junk pop references had bank. It was a pat on the back for him to realize re-appropriating and re-contextualizing moments of neglected films, could be as artistically impactful as hip-hops discovery of the sample. It gave him the room to do something as simple and emotionally resonate as Jackie Brown, before recoiling from such sincerity, and going full on junk gangbusters with Kill Bill. It gave him the courage to rewrite history for his own narrative benefits and reinvigorate genre work with Hateful 8, Django Unchained, Death Proof, Inglourious Basterds, then possibly make one of his most challenging, rewarding, strange, daring and emotionally complex films of his career with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. All of these other films are a mixed bag of aggravating self indulgence and the kind of cinematic poetry you can only get to if your willing to indulge yourself to such an extent. And they are all indebted to Pulp Fiction, which figured out a way to do it perfectly and concisely (at least for QT) and with great mass appeal. Thankfully though, he didn't worry his mind too much about perfection as he continued with his career, which has been one of the best in all American cinema. Hopefully, he will continue to fascinate and annoy in equal measure well past his 'tenth film'.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Pulp Fiction and Blade Runner made my list at 18 and 19, respectively. I can't say much more about either that hasn't already been commented on, so no need to waste your reading time trying. I am glad that both fell so close to each other in this group list though. That kinda makes me feel all warm inside.

In other good news, that means that most likely the remaining spots have been called for Bowie. I expect to see at least The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hunger, and Labyrinth to fill the bulk of our remaining slots. In that order. I can't confirm that Labyrinth will take the number one spot, but I'm feeling good about it. If this one was going to land sooner, it would have been at the 23-spot. That didn't happen. We are left pondering the sound of ...inevitability. It's very possible, too, that the lesser known piece, The Prestige, may take the *4-spot!

*edited cuz I can't count.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked

Also aced Chypmunk's pretty tough 'Pulp Fiction Quiz', I double dare you to take it mofos; https://www.movieforums.com/communit...php?quizid=110
Brutal quiz - I ended up with 80%

Brutal quiz - I ended up with 80%
Ouch! 67% for me

6 pulp fiction

prefer basterds though

A system of cells interlinked
53%, the type of finite details I don't remember in real life, let alone from a movie. I'm a moron.
To be fair, I straight up guessed several answers, sort of guessing what seemed the most Tarantino-esque of the answers. A couple of those were misses, but a couple of them landed.

To be fair, I straight up guessed several answers, sort of guessing what seemed the most Tarantino-esque of the answers. A couple of those were misses, but a couple of them landed.
Yeah all my educated guesses were wrong. lol The only one I missed that I thought I knew was I picked hammer for weapon Butch didn't try. I thought they were all long handle.

If you asked me what kind of car I own, it would take me 30 seconds to answer you. I'm a super moron.

53%, the type of finite details I don't remember in real life, let alone from a movie. I'm a moron.
The one that pains me the most among the ones I missed was the one about the round where Butch had to throw the fight. I mean, I had the quote in my mind "In the fifth, your ass goes down", and for some weird, second-guess reason, went with sixth