🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm playing this game if you don't mind.
What episode was he in?

I can't say the actor Torgo just posted looks familiar to me.
There's only one episode that mentions the word, "garbage." I'm going to guess he's the Klingon who called the Enterprise garbage in The Trouble With Tribbles.
Correct! I guess that was too obvious.

That's Michael Pataki, who played Korax. That argument he gets into with Scott, who doesn't join in until he insults the Enterprise, still makes me laugh. Guy sure loved his ship.

@Citizen Rules, I'm surprised that you didn't recognize Michael Pataki. He also played "Count" Malachi on "Happy Days".

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
That looks like John Hoyt, who played the doctor in the pilot episode "The Cage". (It looks like he's playing a different doctor in these pictures.)
You're absolutely right. He's playing a doctor in an episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. It's really ashame that show only lasted one season.

For those who enjoy the music of Star Trek here's a really nice concert from 2016 that covers most of it (including some of the Abrams films, which, for all I dislike what they did to the ST continuity, had some decent music). The first comment has a list of the music with time stamps to take you directly to them.

For those who enjoy the music of Star Trek here's a really nice concert from 2016 that covers most of it (including some of the Abrams films, which, for all I dislike what they did to the ST continuity, had some decent music). The first comment has a list of the music with time stamps to take you directly to them.

Holy cow! I was just listening to parts of this same concert a couple hours ago. It ends with the original Star Trek theme. They did a great job.

It was Dr. Boyce! Good guess. He was no McCoy, but he was still a good doctor.

"A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."

Powerful stuff.

It was Dr. Boyce! Good guess. He was no McCoy, but he was still a good doctor.

"A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away."

Powerful stuff.

Now you're beginning to sound like a doctor, bartender.

Now you're beginning to sound like a doctor, bartender.
"Take your choice. We both get the same two kinds of customers: the living and the dying."

I like The Cage and The Menagerie, but I'm glad they went back to square one and made a new pilot. We probably wouldn't have had 3 seasons and 6 movies otherwise.

Thoughts on Mudd's Women? I liked it, but didn't love it. Roger Carmel is so good as the flamboyant, love-to-hate Mudd, just as he is in his other episode, I, Mudd. It's too bad they didn't bring him back for at least one more. I'm glad I discovered how much Roddenberry loves the ladies from this thread before I watched it because I had a good "but of course" chuckle when I noticed in the credits that the episode was his idea. Like I said, it's good, but it's one of those episodes where you nod, smile and hope that the next one is better when it ends.

Thoughts on Mudd's Women? I liked it, but didn't love it. Roger Carmel is so good as the flamboyant, love-to-hate Mudd, just as he is in his other episode, I, Mudd. It's too bad they didn't bring him back for at least one more. I'm glad I discovered how much Roddenberry loves the ladies from this thread before I watched it because I had a good "but of course" chuckle when I noticed in the credits that the episode was his idea. Like I said, it's good, but it's one of those episodes where you nod, smile and hope that the next one is better when it ends.
I was not a big fan of that episode. Can't say much about it. It lacked any action which makes the show good. I think it leaves the message that true beauty comes from within.

"Take your choice. We both get the same two kinds of customers: the living and the dying."

I like The Cage and The Menagerie, but I'm glad they went back to square one and made a new pilot. We probably wouldn't have had 3 seasons and 6 movies otherwise.
I think the suits at NBC thought The Cage was too cerebral, which is why they came out with Where No Man Has Gone Before. It had more action in it. They liked it.

I like all the original ST episodes so it's hard for me not to like Mudd's Women as it's so darn fun! Roger Carmel is the best! What a colorful, roguish character. I'm rooting for him to win all the way in that episode

And I love the idea of the Venus drug that the women take, which then transforms them into ravenous beauties. It's fun to watch the transformation, (make up and soft focus camera lens included!)

The idea that lonely miners who are isolated on a desolate planet can have some companionship by arraigning to pay for a marriage to a woman they've never met is interesting. Historically that's happened, and is the basis for various western movies. Zandy's Bride is one western that I've seen recently with that unseen marriage contract as a basis for the story.

I love the character Harry Mudd, and the episode "I, Mudd" is one of my favorite TOS episodes, but I'm not a fan of the episode "Mudd's Women".

Although they didn't bring Harry Mudd back for a third episode of TOS, he did appear in the Animated Series episode "Mudd's Passion" with Roger C. Carmel reprising his role as Harry Mudd.

They also brought Harry Mudd into the "Star Trek: Discovery" series for a couple of episodes, with Rainn Wilson taking over the role of Harry Mudd.

I like all the original ST episodes

I find that hard to believe. I've been working at conventions for years, and I've talked to a lot of Star Trek fans over the years, and even the hardcore Trekkies have episodes that they hate.

I find that hard to believe. I've been working at conventions for years, and I've talked to a lot of Star Trek fans over the years, and even the hardcore Trekkies have episodes that they hate.
It's true, I like (but not love all the episodes). But then again I'm a hard core ST fan and watch all the ST series and even some of that fan fiction stuff which ain't that great.

There are some original series episodes that are kinda boring to watch, and some that I know aren't well written but even those have their fun moments.

Probably my least favorite would be And The Children Shall Lead, just because it's a rehash of Charlie-X which was a phenomenal idea and so well acted. Though I always liked the chant they used to bring forth the evil gorgon. As an adult I get a kick out of the idea that the evil gorgon was played by a high profile lawyer, which seem appropriate

I love the character Harry Mudd, and the episode "I, Mudd" is one of my favorite TOS episodes, but I'm not a fan of the episode "Mudd's Women".

Although they didn't bring Harry Mudd back for a third episode of TOS, he did appear in the Animated Series episode "Mudd's Passion" with Roger C. Carmel reprising his role as Harry Mudd.

They also brought Harry Mudd into the "Star Trek: Discovery" series for a couple of episodes, with Rainn Wilson taking over the role of Harry Mudd.
That's good to know about Star Trek: Discovery, especially since Rainn Wilson plays him. I watched the first four episodes on an airplane a couple years ago and I liked them, but not enough to subscribe to yet another streaming service. I'll get around to it someday.

Mudd also makes an appearance in the old PC adventure game Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. Has anyone played that or Judgement Rites? They are two of the great adventure games if you ask me.

The one TOS episode I really don't like (don't know the title) is with the alien guy who they keep showing fighting himself with the screen looking all negative. I seem to recall it has a real bummer ending too - like the Enterprise can't help him so they just leave him at the end? (Maybe someone can help me out with the title and the plot - it's not odd that I don't know it well since, whenever it was on, I'd watch something else!)

The one TOS episode I really don't like (don't know the title) is with the alien guy who they keep showing fighting himself with the screen looking all negative. I seem to recall it has a real bummer ending too - like the Enterprise can't help him so they just leave him at the end? (Maybe someone can help me out with the title and the plot - it's not odd that I don't know it well since, whenever it was on, I'd watch something else!)
The Alternative Factor, I think. If that's what it is, it's not the best episode. I don't know what the heck they were going for in it and I couldn't explain what it's about for the life of me. The best and funniest description of that special effect you mention is that it's the same as the one when a spinning newspaper with an important headline is coming towards you like in Airplane!

I'm not a fan of Catspaw or The Apple.

The one TOS episode I really don't like (don't know the title) is with the alien guy who they keep showing fighting himself with the screen looking all negative. I seem to recall it has a real bummer ending too - like the Enterprise can't help him so they just leave him at the end?...
You said it, what a bummer ending! Talk about a sci-fi definition of hell! (not the episode itself but the fate of the two Lazarus...How long is eternity anyway)

It's true, I like (but not love all the episodes). But then again I'm a hard core ST fan and watch all the ST series and even some of that fan fiction stuff which ain't that great.

There are some original series episodes that are kinda boring to watch, and some that I know aren't well written but even those have their fun moments.

Probably my least favorite would be And The Children Shall Lead, just because it's a rehash of Charlie-X which was a phenomenal idea and so well acted. Though I always liked the chant they used to bring forth the evil gorgon. As an adult I get a kick out of the idea that the evil gorgon was played by a high profile lawyer, which seem appropriate

I agree that most of the episodes have some fun moments, even the bad episodes, but that doesn't save them from being bad episodes.

IMO, "And The Children Shall Lead" is one of the worst TOS episodes. I also hate the episode "Miri", so maybe I just don't like the episodes that focus too much on kids.