The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Blade Runner is a fascinating entry. When released, it wasn't hailed as highly as it is now (and was also not edited and re-edited into the popular Final Cut we know and love today). It's funny, a lot of re-edits of films done later on rarely end up all that great. But Blade Runner is one of the few to help completely change its status.

For me, this is the most interesting pick in the top 10 so far. Partly because of the above, but also because it's a very unique film. Heavy on style, atmosphere and a leading example of neo-noir (even though that subgenre dates back a lot earlier) and with a mystery noir approach that contains a subtler storytelling and an interesting incorporation of sci-fi elements and big themes, this is certainly a spellbinding experience. It's not all that inviting of a film and it took me a few watches to appreciate it, but now I really like it. Of course, what really draws me in is the technical marvel on display, the gorgeous visuals and amazing score. It really helps to add that special vibe or feel that the movie has, which is so unique, and how it created this whole new look for a dystopian sci-fi world is just great.

I did not vote for it, but I don't mind seeing it here. It definitely deserves to be on the list, but it was higher than I first thought it would be.

If you're going to have some Ford, always double dip

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So... is Deckard a replicant or not?

No

Some quick thoughts catching up...

9. Apocalypse Now (290 points)

Excellent film and a long-time favourite of mine. The capture of the descent into darkness/madness has never been so riveting, as many have said, the real-life endeavour and ambition of what Coppola attempted add to the awe-inspiring qualities of the whole thing. Didn't make my list and I haven't seen it a while. Want to rewatch it with my brother as it's probably the favourite of mine he dislikes the most.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark (313 points)

Another film series that I absolutely loved when I was younger, but still enjoy now. Has pretty much everything you could want in an action/adventure film and I enjoy the comedic side of the screenplay a lot too. I'm not the biggest fan of Spielberg overall around here but certainly think a lot of his early stuff is great. This, Jaws, Close Encounters, Duel. Top entertainment.

7. Blade Runner (343 points)

Another film that I really admire and think has a lot of great qualities, terrific style and atmosphere, and I enjoy the philosophical themes that run throughout it. It's been way too long since I last saw the film so I'm really struggling to say more than that.

If you're going to have some Ford, always double dip
Triple dip, actually. He has that small role in the beginning of Apocalypse Now as well.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

We've gone on holiday by mistake
2049 is what you would call a worthy follow up to the legendary original but without exceeding it. Neander Wallace is such a brilliant character, incredibly sinister with those blind foggy eyes, but then he is kind of all seeing with his implants in, like a nightmarish dark corporate god or something. Though I get the feeling it will be forgotten about after a while whereas Blade Runner has improved like a fine wine. I love the baseline tests.

What can you say about the first one, it's asking the tough questions that are probably going to have to be answered in the not too distant future, a bit like Ex Machina. Nothing like arriving at the end of the film and not realising who the good guys and bad guys were until it's too late. One of the best visual and aural treats you could hope to watch, with a tremendous film and underlying theme within, that's why Blade Runner pops up at the top of these all the time.

My #5

We talked about the wonderfully scored travelling scenes in LOTR or Lawrence of Arabia, but Deckard simply flying somewhere in his car possibly top them all.

So... is Deckard a replicant or not?

The short answer is in the original theatrical cut it is ambiguous but probably not, in Director's Cut and the Final Cut he absolutely is a Replicant, but when in comes to Blade Runner 2049 he definitely is not.

I think there are at least a couple threads devoted to the subject if you search MoFo.

The short answer is in the original theatrical cut it is ambiguous but probably not, in Director's Cut and the Final Cut he absolutely is a Replicant. but when in comes to Blade Runner 2049 he definitely is not.

I think there are at least a couple threads devoted to the subject if you search MoFo.
Yeah, I think the origami kinda seals the deal, but regardless, I like it being ambiguous.

Yeah, I think the origami kinda seals the deal, but regardless, I like it being ambiguous.
The origami coupled with the unicorn dream, which in not present in the original theatrical cut.

And yes, I should have started that previous statement with, "In Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Deckard is not a Replicant..."

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Blade Runner was my #4. Should have had it at #5 like anyone else, doubt it would have affected any of the rankings.

I didn't love it completely the first time I saw it, although I admired a lot about it. I've always been drawn back to watch it again and again and I appreciate it more every time. Who know, in ten years time when we re-do this countdown it could be my #2 or #3 So all of you who have only seen it once and were not blown away, there's still time. It's a grower.

Things to love about Blade Runner: The music, the tech-noir atmosphere, the setting and world-building, Harrison Ford, how much better it is than the book, Sean Young, the owl, Rutger Hauer, tears in rain, the Voight-Kampff test, the human condition, (or non-human condition), the fact that whether Deckard is a replicant or not is not the point - the ambiguity is the point, the eyeball thing, Harrison Ford, everything about the way it looks.

It's a good film, OK?

Also the final film that will appear from my list. There were seven in total, which is a little disappointing. Bring on some more niche countdowns after this one.

A system of cells interlinked
I am sure plenty of MoFos thought Blade Runner was a shoe-in for ol' Sedai's #1 slot, but as I already previously revealed, I had Polanski's neo-noir masterpiece Chinatown in my top slot. In attempting to balance personal adoration with a modicum of objectivity, I had to give the nod to the film that is pretty close to a perfect film all around.

Blade Runner is my favorite movie, hands down, but it would be tough to argue it as the best film ever made, as it is flawed in some ways. Flaws aside, it was an easy call for my #2 slot, which is where it ended up.

I am guess Casablanca up next!

• 349 points
  • 24 lists
6. Jaws

Director

Steven Spielberg, 1975

Starring

Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Shaw, Lorraine Gary

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think the more I see Jaws the more of a chance I have to deem it as a favorite of mine. It's a good movie just not one that I'm totally in love with yet.

Jaws is a movie I enjoy quite a bit. Not among my favorites though. Probably 4th or 5th 9n my Spielberg list.

Welcome to the human race...
Jaws is my second favourite Spielberg after Raiders. An American classic that readily transcends its roots as a pulpy creature feature. However, I did not vote for it.