Disappointing Movies

Tools    

The thing about Speed 2 (and I have seen it) as I just cannot see any reason for it to exist except that the first did well and they wanted to get in on the cash cow (though to be fair it is not the first and won't be the last), the fact that Keanu Reeves did not want to be involved was quite a big indicator especially as at the time he starred in the very good but very underground "The Last Time I Committed Suicide" and it would be two years before "The Matrix" came out, this says really what you need to know about it.

I think the post on THE TOWERING INFERNO was a little harsh...I think this person took this film WAY too seriously and as for the comment that books upon which it was based were better, as I've always said, the book is almost always better than the movie and making that a criticism is rather pointless. As for films that I found disappointing:

MIAMI VICE - Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in a big screen version of the 80's TV classic seemed like a great idea on paper, but definitely lost something in the execution.

ANNIE HALL - Most Woody Allen films consider this film to be his masterpiece, but I think Woody has made at least half a dozen films that are better.

BEWITCHED - I had been longing for years for a big screen version of one of my favorite TV series of the 60's, but this film was a hot mess and everyone involved looks suitably embarrassed.

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II- Loved the way the first film set up the sequel, but it just didn't work for me...the screenplay was all over the place, completely disregarding the set-up of the first film, though I do think the francise bounced back quite well with Part III.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - This film has been considered a classic for years by many but the film bored me to death when I finally saw it.

THE GODFATHER- Maybe it was because I only saw the film for the first time about five years ago that the film couldn't possibly live up to its hype and I'm not sure what I expected but it just wasn't as riveting as I thought it was going to be. Al Pacino's performance did make it worth sitting through though.

The Worst movie i've seen from now in 2014 is no doubt : Devil's Due .

A stupid crappy horror movie . The Script is Copy/paste about Rosemary's baby with very poor acting .

but the wind was stronger
Passion (2012)
when i first saw the trailers it looked great ,you got De Palma , Noomi Rapace , Rachel Mcadams , seemed impossible to go wrong . but everything about this movie just feel so terrible uninspired .

The Worst movie i've seen from now in 2014 is no doubt : Devil's Due .

A stupid crappy horror movie . The Script is Copy/paste about Rosemary's baby with very poor acting .
But were you expecting it to be good?

I don't consider crappy movies to be disappointing unless I thought they were going to be good. If a movie I expect to suck does suck, then I'm not disappointed.

On that note, the most recent disappointment was last year's American Hustle. It looked good. But it was just meh.

Cyrus was a huge disappointment for me just a terrible movie,

War Horse - Spielberg's worst film ... by some distance. Just a horribly manipulative piece of movie making.

Shiri - Korean movie credited with tuning their movie industry around but it was just really bad. Includes a scene where a bad guy is being chased in daylight ... and then next shot it's dark ...

Matrix sequels and every Star Wars film since Empire ...

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
The Avengers
The Spirit
The Dark Knight Rises

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - This film has been considered a classic for years by many but the film bored me to death when I finally saw it.

I'm sorry, Gideon, but I'm afraid you'll have to be deactivated. There's no question about it.

THE GODFATHER- Maybe it was because I only saw the film for the first time about five years ago that the film couldn't possibly live up to its hype and I'm not sure what I expected but it just wasn't as riveting as I thought it was going to be. Al Pacino's performance did make it worth sitting through though.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Anchorman 2 tbh. Lots of funny moments but the funniest where in the trailer and there were lots of wtf moments (not in a good way)

The biggest disappointment for me recently was The Hobbit. Although most people liked it fine, I just thought it was bloated and boring. I never saw the 2nd movie, Desolation of Smaug, and from what I hear that was disappointing to most people.

But were you expecting it to be good?

I don't consider crappy movies to be disappointing unless I thought they were going to be good. If a movie I expect to suck does suck, then I'm not disappointed.

On that note, the most recent disappointment was last year's American Hustle. It looked good. But it was just meh.

The Conjuring was awesome and it's a movie from the same year... so your argument is very irrelevant

The Conjuring was awesome and it's a movie from the same year... so your argument is very irrelevant
Huh? That doesn't even make sense. What does The Conjuring have to do with what I said about Devil's Due?

Boldly going.
Off the top of my head:

1. Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens
2. The G.I. Joe movies ... Expendables 2 was closer to the mark
3. The Transformer movies ... the first one wasn't too bad, but the rest were really bad
4. Batman v. Superman ... had the potential to launch DC's movies in a big way, but it was a mess.
5. The Ghostbusters sequels and reboot
6. Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2
7, The Hulk movies
8. The Maze Runner
9. Ender's game
10. The Hobbit trilogy ... Overall, I enjoyed them, but they should've been almost as good as the LOTR movies. Too much stuff that should've been left on the cutting room floor.

The truth is in here
Low-level disappointments

Saving Private Ryan - Decent. Good acting and occasional scenes of very real intensity, but its sincerity as a war movie gets drowned out by all the saccharine (a word that I rarely even use) patriotism and one-sided examination of World War II. I especially take issue with Ryan being portrayed as a hero despite selfishly making his mates risk their lives.

The Imitation Game - Just like SPR it's well-acted, but just doesn't hit me emotionally. The conflict where people turn on Alan Turing feels so forced since he doesn't act as tyrannical as the characters make him out to be. It also could've gone deeper into his repressed homosexuality.

Bohemian Rhapsody - The best of the movies I'm including on the list, though still not perfect. Rami Malek does a good job and makes you invested into his character, but an Oscar-winning performance? I dunno, I definitely saw ones more deserving of the win that year. It also has a by-the-numbers feel to it at times, playing it safe by showing small pieces of every major event rather than exploring them deeper. Entertaining? Absolutely, just not an awardworthy film by any means.

Medium-level disappointments

Frozen - Inoffensive, but nowhere near worth all the acclaim it received. This Disney outing lacks the charm and heart from most of their films. Good songs (except Let It Go and Fixer-Upper, which are just annoying to me) and you can bear through it I guess, but wouldn't watch again.

Mad Max: Fury Road - One of my most frequently brought up letdowns on this site. Yet I don't hate it, it's just one of those movies that I couldn't get into. Sometimes I'm okay with just observing the visuals (Begotten is a fascinating film even though I didn't understand at all what it was about at first), but considering this is a lavish production with bigname actors I expect a little more. The visual look is indeed the strongest aspect, but can't carry the whole thing. Besides Furiosa I can't remember caring about a single character. Tom Hardy, who can be terrific in the right role, gets almost nothing to work with. Max is uninteresting and one-note as a character. After I saw the first one with Mel Gibson years later I wondered even more why they turned him into a grunting grump. He had a lot more depth and likability in the original portrayal.
I really like the music. But yeah, generally not a fan.

Man Trouble - Okay, I know it didn't get the greatest reviews. But considering Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson teamed up again, not to mention the rest of the cast... I expected a little more. Nicholson is solid in the role (he's been better, but even when he's not a total knockout he's entertaining), while Michael McKean, Lauren Tom and Harry Dean Stanton also deliver good performances. Ellen Barkin is not very good however (and gets worse when she has to act angry as well), while Veronica Cartwright is straight up awful. The tone is uneven, going between comedy and suspense thriller very clunkily. The mystery makes less sense the more you dissect it. Overall it's mostly for diehard Nicholson fans.

High-level disappointments

The Night Before - It starts off well enough and I was excited to see the director behind 50/50 and Long Shot together with Seth Rogen again (I know Long Shot came out later, but I saw that one before this), not to mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt. But after a while it starts getting tedious and relies so much on drugs for humor that even for a Seth Rogen movie it's ridiculous. Most of the characters besides Levitt's are both stupid and unlikable. And don't even get me started on the drug dealer plot twist. Incredibly stupid. It does have its chuckles, and even a less sympathetic Rogen character will still get smiles out of me, but out of the ones I've seen with him this is so far the one I like the least.

Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives - Even for a Friday movie this one contains too much idiocy for me to take. The acting is terrible across the board, the characters behave in ways that make no sense, and the humor falls into the category of eyerollworthy or irritating for the most part. The most overrated in the series by a long mile. The end credits song by Alice Cooper is cool though, and Jason is the one character who doesn't act like an idiot. But that's about it.

P.S. I Love You - Calling this a heartfelt and realistic depiction of grief is like calling Barney The Dinosaur an accurate representation of dinosaurs. Unless you want to cringe at awful dialogue and scenes so absurd you want to puke, don't watch this.

Margot At The Wedding & Greenberg - I lump these two together because they share the same director and have the same problems. I love the actors involved and I love dark comedy. But these characters are obnoxious and impossible to give a **** about, and the "humor" if you can call it that is non-existent. I did see a Baumbach movie later on I really dug (De Palma), but black comedy doesn't seem to be his strongest suit.

Fight Club

Eraserhead

Blue Velvet

Black Panther

LOTR trilogy

Kill Bill: Volume 2

Endgame

These are the most overrated and disappointing movies I have ever seen.