Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Top of the league, you're having a laugh.

It's still Liverpool or CIty for the title, but it's nice to be able to say that, with nearly half the season gone, we are genuinely top of the league.

Still don't know what the ref was seeing when he disallowed Maguire's goal, but as it seems to be split among the pundits, I guess to some it doesn't look right? I know it's not the 90's anymore (sadly) but if the roles were reversed and the defender had headed that ball away in the manner Maguire 'scored' I'd have expected a corner. Wouldn't have occured to me to ask for a penalty.

Big game tomorrow for the Premier League leaders (like the sound of that) and (probably) the best team in Europe for the last two years? I know City won the league the year before, but Liverpool lost it by a point and won the CL.

Tomorrow is the game which is loved and feared by the fans of each team in equal measure. Some seasons you're more confident than others, but you're always as desperate for a win in this game as you are fearful 'they'll' beat you. There are so many variables atm in the two teams that I feel a prediction is little more than a probable guess. I could make a good arguement for a win, a loss or a draw. As it is, I'll go a draw. 1-1 for those who like a scoreline.

If Matip somehow makes it, then we might have a chance. A defence with kids or Hendo will not be a great thing against this United side, who have run into some form.

I actually think it will be a draw. I do want a win. I always want a win in this fixture more than anything else. As a non-local LFC fan ( who was the only LFC fan in my group of friends with most being either United or Arsenal fans), this rivalry is way, way, way more important than the Merseyside derby.

City's title to lose. They look a different beast.

As for the match, both defences looked solid. But it was more to do with both attacks looking toothless. Quality chances were wasted by both. Alisson once again saved our arse. Shaw handled Salah with ease. Lindelof was actually decent. Fabinho was the Man of the Match.

Micah Richards continues to be a poor pundit. At half time says, that United should have gone for it. Away at Anfield? I don't really get his use, apart from his loud laughs that are meant to annoy Keane (I do think someday he is going to murder Micah).

On a side note, that's three matches in which we haven't scored. And yet, Klopp doesn't use Minamino who looked decent in the pre season. He was brilliant against Palace, and after that hasn't seen a single minute of game time. The boy is wasting his time here. He could be a useful forward for a top team somewhere else.

Happy with the draw, but it's tinged with disappointment considering I thought we had the better chances and were coming on strong in the second half. I know Liverpool had more possesion and more shots, but I'd have predicted that before a ball was kicked. I felt that with one exception (the save from Thiago from just outside the box) De Gea wasn't called on to make a proper save. Klopp's definitely getting rattled. His front three just aren't executing and poor decisions are being made. I try not to criticise players for not seeing a pass because they're at pitch level with the game happening around them, while our view is at a distance and high up. But when the ex-pros in the studio are saying they should see a certain pass, then I feel it's justified.

Not a good week for you @WrinkledMind or your boys and we've got to be ready for the inevitable reaction that a knockout tie will, almost certainly, bring out of them. FTR, I thought Klopp did the right thing with the team against Burnley. Rest a few who will play against United and give those squad players the chance to impress and make things difficult. Even if they played out of their skin I doubt he'd have changed anything this Sunday, but that's what you tell them.

I wonder if Ole will do the same again and make sure we're in it/equal at half time, then make the adjustments to try and win it. I don't know why, but being at home makes this less likely IMO even though there isn't a crowd.

Also, after seeing Burnley get the win and wondering for a week if we missed our chance last week to beat Liverpool, I'm interested to see if they try and play on the front foot from the get go?

Yeah, I agree that we were decent (but well below our levels) against Burnley. Made the right changes and all. And if Origi had taken his chance, or we had taken the other ones after Salah and Bobby came on, then we could have won.

Don't really know what to expect from the FA cup. Klopp hasn't really cared for this competition, which made the strong team featuring against Villa in the earlier round a surprise. You lot are favourites for tomorrow, and you should kick yourself if you don't win.

F'ed Pool... Happy!

Next round West Ham!

17January to 28 January
Manchester United - Burnley - Manchester United (FA cup) - Spurs.

This will either end up being fun or painful.
Yep. Very painful.

Anyways, well played.

I hope you lot get multiple red cards in the next round, and exit by conceding a ninetieth minute penalty.

Lampard has been sacked.

I am amused by the talk of Tuchel going there. He doesn't get along with powerful/demanding owners. The other name being Rodgers. I can totally see him jumping to Chelsea. He has vastly improved as manager ever since he left us.

My Darth Star is in for a service
I don't see Rodgers leaving Leicester any time soon.
He is settled and knows Abramovich hasn't the patience when it comes to what he perceives as failure.
Rafa Benitez would be a better fit as he has the experience of dealing with a dominant owner (Mike Ashley at Newcastle)
Personally I think Abramovich has made a mistake, OGS and Arteta are examples of young managers who were being lambasted earlier in the season when on poor runs and just about every team has had it's moments this season.
Klopp is on a bad run, Pep got off to a slow start and Everton have been up and down like an Essex girl's panties in a back alley in Southend.
Man Utd were going to sack Ferguson as he got off to a poor start and look what happened there when they stuck by him.

Everton have been up and down like an Essex girl's panties in a back alley in Southend.
, that made me giggle.

Don't agree on the Rodgers bit. He is ambitious as hell and a little too confident in himself. He will back himself to succeed at Chelsea ( he is a better manager now than what he was when he was with us), where he will have a bigger transfer kitty. However, the setup and scouting at Leicester is far better and more settled.

I don't want Benitez to return to Chelsea. He wasn't appreciated by them lot when he did a great job the last time he was there.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I’ve always liked Ndombele since we got him. It’s good to see him doing his thing inside the Jose machine

This goal tonight was sweet as

A cheeky left foot volley-steer from Bale was all good too (Although think the actual bursts into the box, with and without the ball, and playing the full 90, were the most pleasing things there)

Tuchel it is for Chelsea. Good coach with poor man-mangement skills, and has a penchant for clashing with the owners. I wonder how much this decision was driven by wanting to get the best out of Werner and Harvertz.

I’ve always liked Ndombele since we got him. It’s good to see him doing his thing inside the Jose machine

This goal tonight was sweet as

A cheeky left foot volley-steer from Bale was all good too (Although think the actual bursts into the box, with and without the ball, and playing the full 90, were the most pleasing things there)

Ndombele was my choice for name and number on my shirt last season, exactly the same rise happened to Modric the season after I got his kit in 08 (so Ndombele is definitely going to Real in the future lol)