Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Free Fire (2016)

This is grim, a drama-comedy that succeeds in neither. One paced and dull.
Hopefully the fag packet that the story/script was written on (if at all) has been long discarded.
[rating]1[//rating]

Yeah, it was unwavering in it's method in that sense, I do applaud it. Interesting that you say "the idea". I didn't really get a theme or idea that was original apart from regret.
I don't think I've ever seen a film explore the self loathing and insecurities of an "incel" the way this film does. I also can count the number of films that have an original theme on one hand. Certified Copy comes to mind. I usually judge it on the way it chooses to explore the theme and I think that the entire film is such a perfectly distilled piece of projection, isolation and unfulfilled promise that it stands out.

Quadrophenia (1979)

Truth be told, I've never been much for these rebellious "coming of age" narratives like Dazed and Confused or in this case Quadrophenia. As for those narratives that share the "coming of age" tale, I tend to like those that focus on the growth and maturity of the characters rather than those living in some "Pan's Fable." (Which may be why I enjoy Jean Renoir's The River so much...) All this to be said, I do have both films within my vast collection and I have them for good reason...

I find the philosophy of film, (or any art for that matter), could be considered an "argument" only in artistic forms. To understand an "argument" though, one need look no further than the Philosophy of Logic.

It was Peter Abelard who made the great discovery in Logic that it is not necessarily the "content" of the argument which dictates it's validity... but the "form" of the argument.

Now why is this important in my discussion of Film Art?

Because while a person may "disagree" or "not like" a cinematic work/or form of art. I find the closest thing we can do to find some sort of "objective" ground within the work itself is looking at what is purely "formatical."

Example:

I do not "agree" with the "content," as I find the content rather juvenile, (as I do Dazed and Confused), but in it's "form" it's completely solid.

For Phil Daniels' character, (Jimmy), to enter into a home where a party is taking place and for the camera to track behind, and then beyond him, into the dance, and then back to profile in one long continuous shot is pure bravado.

For a film who's subject matter is on "Mod Culture," (Modernism and the influence of Modern/Free Jazz thereof), to let the narrative "loose," to let the camera "loose," and past a central character and into a "Culture" and their "dance" is utterly brilliant.

Structurally speaking, the film is completely sound if not rather invigorating and inspiring... it does hold the house on which I find the script it builds itself upon to be quite dreary and dull.

All this to be said, I find the work a fascinating example of an artistic "argument" being philosophically correct, albeit errored in many ways.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! Enjoy!

8/10
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Onibaba (1964) - 4/10. I just didn't get it. I get the folklore and all. But this movie is rated as 8 on IMDb. Why... It's baffling. 70% of the movie is two people acting horny. And a minor twist in the end. The lighting in the movie is nicely done, but that's about all the compliment I can give the movie. Disappointed.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Enjoying your write-ups on the Bond franchise so far. I've been doing a slow (very slow!) dive-in into the franchise as well for the last couple of years. Still have to see Connery's Diamonds Are Forever, and then it's onto Moore. I'm surprised about your reaction to Goldfinger. It's not my favorite (it's my #3 or #4), but I would say it's the most iconically Bond (whatever that means) of the franchise.

For what it's worth, here are some quick reviews I wrote about those last two...

Thunderball

You Only Live Twice
Thanks! I'll be watching Diamonds are Forever later today. It's been fun so far but from what I hear I'm out of good ones until like GoldenEye lmao. I'm just as surprised as anyone that Goldfinger fell flat. Ironically, its the most iconic Bond film whilst feeling the least like a "spy" movie of the bunch so far.

Knights of Cup (2015)

** out of *****

Nonsensical, pretentious, boring, with stock level characters and fake emotions, really a dud for a good director like Malick, more I watch his lastest stuff more I think about how high he deserves to rank.

This movie is empty and falls flat in making your protagonist compelling or likeable. He's very annoying, and it’s a shame because Bale is an excellent actor.

hope scream 5 will be okay movie
I also do too.

Knights of Cup (2015)

** out of *****

Nonsensical, pretentious, boring, with stock level characters and fake emotions, really a dud for a good director like Malick, more I watch his lastest stuff more I think about how high he deserves to rank.

This movie is empty and falls flat in making your protagonist compelling or likeable. He's very annoying, and it’s a shame because Bale is an excellent actor.

I also do too.
i know that neve campbell is coming back but i dont know bout courtney cox and david whatever his last name

i know that neve campbell is coming back but i dont know bout courtney cox and david whatever his last name
Dunno, it probably will be something like Halloween 2018 I guess.

I'm all in for action flicks or sequels, as long as they are watchable or atleast entertaining.

Dunno, it probably will be something like Halloween 2018 I guess.

I'm all in for action flicks or sequels, as long as they are watchable or atleast entertaining.
oh okay i will give halloween kills a chance to watch same with scream 5, if they both i will watch it

DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB
(1964)

First viewing. I've always wanted to watch this movie being a Stanley Kubrick admirer and a fan of Peter Sellers' humor. I was not disappointed. This is possibly the best satirical black comedy about war in general, the cold war in particular. A surprisingly offbeat performance by George C. Scott whom I always considered a very serious actor (I learned through some research that Kubrick, who is known for having his actors do multiple takes of the same scene, tricked Scott into doing over-the-top "practice" takes that he ended up putting into the final cut, a move that had Scott vow never to work with Kubrick again.)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

28 Days Later (2002) - 7/10. Quite enjoyed this one. The movie is not about being scary, but more about human nature when the going gets tough. Well acted. Also I was wondering how was the empty London shots taken. Good stuff.

I was watching the Lord of the Rings, is it just me that felt like the CGI at times looks a bit dated?

Thanks! I'll be watching Diamonds are Forever later today. It's been fun so far but from what I hear I'm out of good ones until like GoldenEye lmao. I'm just as surprised as anyone that Goldfinger fell flat. Ironically, its the most iconic Bond film whilst feeling the least like a "spy" movie of the bunch so far.
I know I saw a bunch of the Moore ones when I was a kid/teen, but I don't remember much of them (which is why I want to revisit them). The only one I have fresh in my mind is A View to a Kill, which I thought was ok/fun.

Victim of The Night

MAJOR LEAGUE
(1989)

First viewing. I've wanted to see this film for quite some time. 30 years actually. I've finally come around to it. I am not a fan of baseball as I find it to be the most boring sport in the history of sports. But I really loved all the baseball scenes, specifically the climactic ending, in this hilariously clever comedy. Great cast that includes Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes and the gorgeous Rene Russo.

Yeah, it really is a pretty funny movie. I musta watched it 20 or more times when I was in college.

Victim of The Night

Onibaba (1964) - 4/10. I just didn't get it. I get the folklore and all. But this movie is rated as 8 on IMDb. Why... It's baffling. 70% of the movie is two people acting horny. And a minor twist in the end. The lighting in the movie is nicely done, but that's about all the compliment I can give the movie. Disappointed.
Huh. This surprises me. I haven't seen it yet but for years I've heard people praise it as a pretty great movie and one worthy of still being on the cinematic radar decades later.
I don't put any stock, not one penny, in IMDB ratings, though.

Victim of The Night
My friends just watched Diamonds Are Forever a few weeks ago and basically ended up riff-traxing it via text to me the entire time. Hope you have as much fun as they did.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
My friends just watched Diamonds Are Forever a few weeks ago and basically ended up riff-traxing it via text to me the entire time. Hope you have as much fun as they did.

Just finished it and working on the write up now but spoilers yes I did.

Huh. This surprises me. I haven't seen it yet but for years I've heard people praise it as a pretty great movie and one worthy of still being on the cinematic radar decades later.
I don't put any stock, not one penny, in IMDB ratings, though.
That is what led me to the movie. I heard a lot written about it, well reviewed, but turned out rubbish. Give it a shot, maybe will find something I didn't see.